TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Tiffany

is this normal? - September 4th 2011, 06:02 AM

I smoke cigarettes. and have been for quiet some time now.but whenever i don't have a pack and have to ask from other people, I crave them more, and I HATE short cigarettes, and they make me feel like I haven't gotten my "fix". I am still irriated, and still feel withdraws from not having one, and I don't work well with cheap cigarettes either. My fiance' seems to be perfectly fine when don't have his cigarettes and he has been smoking longer than I have, but I seem to have a worse addiction to them then he does,and when he have to save cigarettes due to lw money, he is better at saving them when he has to, and putting a cigarette and saving it for later,but I am bad at saving them,and bad at saving when i need to,I've gotten used to sharing a pack,but its just bumming of other people that bothers me. Why is that?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Re: is this normal? - September 4th 2011, 06:18 AM

Maybe the cigarettes affect you differently than they affect others, they do have the nicotine in them that makes them addictive, and you probably don't like bumming off of other people for some sort of moral reason, because you feel bad about it or something. I think what you're feeling is perfectly normal, especially since you're not used to cheap cigarettes, the nicotine level in them is probably higher than it is for some other people you know that smoke. Smoking is unhealthy though, so I'd have to recommend that you stop if you can.

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: is this normal? - September 11th 2011, 09:11 AM

Hey there,

Nicotine is addictive, which is why you crave cigarettes and suffer withdrawal symptoms when you don't use them.

Nicotine is a drug, and drugs affect people in different ways, so you may just be more prone to addiction than your fiance. Although most long term smokers will become addicted to nicotine, some people don't become addicted. Also, some people smoke more than others. It's all down to the individual.

As Faith mentioned, your dislike of bumming off of other people is probably due to either a moral thing or a dislike of sharing the pack, and not due to an addiction.

If you feel as if your smoking is a problem, there is a lot of support out there to help you quit.

Hester

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lost in Thought Offline
Condemned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Justin

Re: is this normal? - September 13th 2011, 04:01 PM

First of all, what brand do you smoke? It does matter, and I would guess Marlboro, menthol even? Or Newports. Different types of cigarettes have different levels of nicotine and other chemicals. Marlboro are definitely the worse, especially menthol. I know its like requesting a different seat before a the train wrecks, but still it does make a difference and they are less addictive. There are ways to help you switch, just look online. I switched myself, though I just did it, I did notice a difference.

A very likely reason why you have more cravings when you have to ask others for them is the fact that YOU don't have any. I know that doesn't really mean much, but you have no control over your own 'fix' or cigarettes. It's like smoking your last cigarette everytime. Your addicted subconscious/addiction, whatever you wish to call it, is telling you to buy a pack like you normally have because you are out. Plus everyone feels a little guilty having to ask others constantly, so its not like internally your going to assume that their pack is yours too, even if you will just ask them.

I would also recommend trying to gain a little control and understanding of your smoking habits. Pay attention to when you normally smoke, such as times and actions. That way, you can practice skipping certain cigarettes (and I don't mean not smoking while you drive just to arrive and light one up). At least by doing this it will help you count your cigarettes some, and know which ones are more important then others. It will make it easier when you are having to cut back and save them.

Good luck, and am I actually smoker if you need support.

Closed Thread