TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Need a little advice... - September 8th 2011, 11:31 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

(Before I write this, I want to say that I know the policy that you're not professionals and stuff like that. I'm simply asking those who have maybe experienced this or knew someone who experienced this, well, I'll explain morein my question. Oh and I labeled this as triggering just in case. I'm not sure which specicif trigger it may cause or if it's a combination. I'm just saying that should you feel triggered by anything I say, click off of this page. Now, if you're still willing,here is my issue.)

I feel I may have low blood sugar. I know it's not diabetes and it's probably not hypoglycemia, I don't know for sure. All I know is that I am very skinny and very underweight (but not anorexic).What made me feel like this is the fact that I fainted today. But after I had some sugar (in the form of a glass of sweet tea with a few spoonfuls of sugar), I was alright. I do not faint often. This is the second time I fainted in my life. But I do remember in college, when I had back to back to back classes one semester, I felt lightheaded unless I risked being late to my last class, either just before it started or during a break, when I had to go get something for me to eat or drink. Luckily, that class ended early like everyday. But I've always felt that way when I've had no sugars during the day or whatever. I just told my dad this and he's taking me to a doctor for a check-up sometime soon. (We have like hardly any money, so I don't know how soon). Anyways, I been able to keep that in check which leads me to believe it's just low blood sugar. Based on your experience, if you or someone you know experienced this, do you think this is just low blood sugar or is it usually something more (like I need to see a doctor). I would appreciate any feedback.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Need a little advice... - September 9th 2011, 12:02 AM

It was probably just low blood sugar which is the same as hypoglycemia. It couldn't hurt to get it checked out. Just try to eat and/or drink at regular intervals to keep it steady. (as long as you're sure you aren't diabetic)

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Need a little advice... - September 9th 2011, 05:20 PM

It does sound like low blood sugar. I have no medical conditions relating to that, but I would faint often in middle school when I had very little sugars and I was being very active. The brain depends on a certain supply of sugar to continue working. If your blood sugar drops, you faint.

Sometimes your blood sugar can drop due to not eating correctly. If you have been eating less, this can cause fainting. Has your diet changed any? Or did you not eat much before you fainted?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Need a little advice... - September 9th 2011, 05:41 PM

Well, I know it's not that I don't eat as much, because I usually eat a lot. But lately, I've had trouble sleeping at night which makes me sleep until like 1pm which kinda messes up my eating habits therefore I do not eat as much, so that didn't help. But in the past when I've fainted one other time or I felt lightheaded, I usually eat a lot, just not any sugars. Then I found out that if I have a little bit of something that has sugar, I'm fine.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Need a little advice... - September 9th 2011, 07:00 PM

Well, I would suggest keeping a candy bar of some sort with you at all times. That way when you begin to feel faint or dizzy you can pull it out and eat it. This should put your levels back into a normal area and prevent fainting.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Need a little advice... - September 9th 2011, 07:02 PM

Chloe, as a professional it's still hard to diagnose online! It's not so much about qualifications as much as it is the inability to examine someone properly online. You should see a doc IRL, and probably sooner rather than later.

Your symptoms could be a lot of things, low blood sugar being one of them. Typically, though, fainting and light headedness is often caused by low blood pressure. This can be brought on by a lot of things, but a chief culprit is dehydration. I see you're from hot, sunny Florida, too.....

Many people go thru the day in a state of partial dehydration and don't even know it, we usually get thirsty after the point of dehydration has actually been reached, it's the body's trigger to that which causes thirst. This would also account for why the hot tea (water!) made you feel better.

Try drinking more cold water thru the day and see if that helps until you see a doc.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Need a little advice... - September 9th 2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post
Well, I would suggest keeping a candy bar of some sort with you at all times. That way when you begin to feel faint or dizzy you can pull it out and eat it. This should put your levels back into a normal area and prevent fainting.
That is a good idea. I'll try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
Chloe, as a professional it's still hard to diagnose online! It's not so much about qualifications as much as it is the inability to examine someone properly online. You should see a doc IRL, and probably sooner rather than later.

Your symptoms could be a lot of things, low blood sugar being one of them. Typically, though, fainting and light headedness is often caused by low blood pressure. This can be brought on by a lot of things, but a chief culprit is dehydration. I see you're from hot, sunny Florida, too.....

Many people go thru the day in a state of partial dehydration and don't even know it, we usually get thirsty after the point of dehydration has actually been reached, it's the body's trigger to that which causes thirst. This would also account for why the hot tea (water!) made you feel better.

Try drinking more cold water thru the day and see if that helps until you see a doc.
I can see that you're new, so I will say this, most of us are not professionals, therefore, the rules say that we cannot diagnose people online anyways. If you had read my original post, it said that all I'm asking is for opinions based on experiences. I also said that my dad is going to take me to a doctor. And I know it's not dehydration because I had some water and it did not help very much.

Other than that, welcome to Teenhelp. We're glad to have you here.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Need a little advice... - September 12th 2011, 05:09 PM

I'm going to close this thread now Chloe. Let me know if you want it reopened. Feel free to post about what the doctor said or if the problem doesn't resolve.

Closed Thread