TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Wisdom teeth - October 7th 2011, 04:58 AM

Hey guys,

My top wisdom teeth just started coming in, and they are causing me a lot of discomfort. I've heard a lot of rumors about when you are supposed to have them removed, because a lot of times they end up growing in sideways, and causing issues before they are fully grown in. My problem is I have used up all of my dental insurance this year, and will not be able to have any dental work done until January, which I will already be having to have three more teeth filled. (I know, my teeth just suck i guess)

My basic questions: When are they suppose to be removed in relation to them growing in, and could not having them removed within a year, or possibly more, cause problems, and if so, how can I go about this without...putting my family in medical debt? I've got enough student debt as it is.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Wisdom teeth - October 7th 2011, 06:14 AM

Only a dental surgeon or dentist can really tell you that. My sister & I got our wisdom teeth out last month even though they didn't need to, but we also had to use our dental insurance before it ran out. If your dental whoever says they don't need to be extracted right now, you're fine. But if they're really bothering you, you may need them taken out sooner. As far as prices go, it's cheaper if your teeth are closer to coming out (much less work) anyways, so just check to see if you can wait or not.

They'll just take x-rays & see how close your teeth are to the surface. You do have to pay for the x-rays, but I don't think it's that big of a price (I could be wrong though since we still had insurance).

I think the only real problem I see with leaving them in too long is pain & moving your teeth. If they move in, they'll shift your teeth around. That's what makes you need braces, whether you've already had them or not.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: Wisdom teeth - October 7th 2011, 06:49 AM

I agree with Barbara. Only a dentist can tell because some people have wisdom teeth growing in straight and they can be left in and some have them growing in REALLY crooked and they must be removed right away. My older sister's had to be removed but she put them off for a year and she turned out fine. My older brother did the same but his four years of braces got all screwed up. Mine were removed right away because otherwise it would screw up everything and my mom never got hers removed. It all depends on the person. You should definitely go see a dentist and see what they say. Best of luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Wisdom teeth - October 7th 2011, 07:48 AM

It's normal for teeth to cause discomfort when they are coming through. But wisdom teeth often do need to be taken out. I think the best thing to do would be to see a dental surgeon for a consult. Then you can decide whether they need to be taken out immediately, later, or not at all.

Usually, if the dentist can tell that your teeth are going to cause issues, they will recommend that you get them taken out straight away. If you wait, the surgery can be a lot more complicated and painful. If your teeth are still developing, they should be able to get them out easily since the roots won't be formed completely. If they are really close to coming through and are well-developed however, it will be harder to take them out and you are at more risk of nerve damage (because the roots will be near your jaw nerves), other complications and recovery will be more painful for you.

Obviously money is an issue, but I think the best thing is to see if they do need to come out and when before you worry about any of that.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Wisdom teeth - October 8th 2011, 02:49 AM

Wisdom teeth aren't removed for all people regardless of their age. My father still has 2 of his 3 wisdom teeth in and the only reason he got the third one taken out was because it was growing sideways. There's no precise chronological age when they should get taken out, it's more of a matter as to how far along they are, whether they're predicted to come in the proper place (a dentist or dental surgeon can tell this from x-rays) and whether there's any immediate discomfort from them.

If they're not coming in properly or there's not enough room, then it can cause problems, anything from altering the position of other teeth to greater pain to riskier surgery and so forth. You may be able to have the payment delayed until your insurance can kick in or the dental office may be willing to negotiate a price or payment.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Wisdom teeth - October 8th 2011, 04:04 PM

Okay. I've had this issue this year. Two of my wisdom teeth started to grow in just after I lost my med insurance. I called my dentist who offered me a free consultation to see if they would need removed.

So I went in and he said mine should be fine. They seemed to be growing in straight. My sister however, had hers grow in when she was 15 and the doctor decided to remove all 4, despite only one coming through because one came through crooked so they were going to take them all out before the others grew in crooked too.

See if you can get looked at. That should either be free or really cheap. Then they can decide. They also may be able to tell you that you can wait until next year - just depends on if they are growing in crooked or not.

Also, keep in mind that growing in crooked isn't the only concern. If my other two wisdom teeth were coming through, I would have to have them removed crooked or not - because my mouth is too small for them.

So, they should be looked at, yes. But call and see how much they will charge for a consultation.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Wisdom teeth - October 9th 2011, 03:25 AM

Wisdom teeth don't have a particular age that they are 'supposed' to come out. They only need removing if they are going to cause harm such as disrupting your bite, being misaligned or causing infections.
I had mine removed as my oral surgeon said they would become infected if I didn't because of the way they were sitting.

It depends on what your teeth are like.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Wisdom teeth - October 11th 2011, 05:27 AM

As everyone else said, best to speak to your dentist ... bare in mind they could be a while coming through anyway. Mine have been causing me pain and coming through super slow over the last year and a half :/ if they're painful and you don't need them remove, ask your doctor or dentist about the best pain relief for them

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Wisdom teeth - October 15th 2011, 11:47 PM

I told my parents, and they said that I can talk to my dentist about them when I have fillings in January. Other then that, they said I can take painkillers if I need relief, but we cannot afford another appointment this year. Best I can do for now. Thanks everybody for the advice!

Mods can feel free to close this thread, it's been taken care of!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Wisdom teeth - October 16th 2011, 01:02 AM

Best of luck, Traci

Closed Thread