TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Extreme Pain - October 9th 2011, 05:24 AM

I do plan on seeing a doctor in the near future. I'm asking because I'm wondering if anyone has any idea on what this COULD be, I know if I go in and just say that I'm in pain they're probably going to assume I'm looking for pain killers or I'm making it up but I'm really not. I keep having extremely bad muscle pain basically everywhere, specifically my back, shoulders, legs and occasionally my arms. I'm not talking about the type of pain you get from working out either, I'm talking such bad pain that I lie in bed crying. I've been getting extremely bad headaches as well and I know they aren't migraines (I've been through that deal twice, thankfully we resolved the issue for now). The pain occasionally changes, when it's really bad it's a really deep intense ache to the point where it almost feels like my bones (in my arms/legs). My mom tries to give me back massages when it's really bad but sometimes it's SO bad that she can barely touch me without hurting me so bad. Lately it feels like my muscles can barely stretch and it's killing me. So if anyone has any ideas on what this might be, I'd be forever grateful. I'd like to go to the doctors with a general idea of what they should be looking at, I refuse to be told I'm making it up or something like that.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Extreme Pain - October 9th 2011, 06:36 AM

Hey Keena,

As you know, we're not doctors. So what I'm going to tell you is not a diagnosis, it's from my own experience.

My best friend suffers from a disorder called Fibromyalgia, it is a muscle/nerve disorder. It's sort of a new thing, they're still discovering a lot about it, so there isn't a lot known. But I would do a Google search on it and see if any of those symptoms match. Obviously, you know self diagnosis is not a good thing, but it could give you an idea on what to ask doctors about. With that, there isn't a whole lot of definite treatment on it. They've used different types of antidepressants and painkillers. There just isn't a whole lot of information. But something to look into.

It could also just have something to do with your diet. I would try to drink more water, and eat healthier for a while. I don't know how you normally eat, you could eat healthy already, but if you don't, consider eating more fruits and vegetables. Also, you may want to take a calcium/vitamin D supplement. This may help the bones and muscles not ache as much, and allow muscles to do any healing they need if there had been strain.

That's the best I can tell you. I hope you can talk to a doctor soon. Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Extreme Pain - October 9th 2011, 04:21 PM

I agree with Traci. It may be Fibromyalgia. Although there is no way to test for it. Instead they test you for everything they think it could possibly be. When all of them are ruled out, they might diagnose you with fibro then. My mom has it.

Or it could just be you are not sleeping well enough, are getting sick, or just have not let your body rest well lately. I'd advise going to the doctor. When you do, it's fine to say "I'm just in a lot of pain."

But be a bit more explanatory. Explain how long it has been going on. If it hurts in one area more than the others or if it's just all over constantly or sporadically.

Last year I had severe muscle pain in my right shoulder to the point I could hardly move my arm. After a week of no sleep and no comfort I went in saying "Look. My arm hurts a lot." He touched my arm a bit and asked some questions. Then he said "Well, I don't really feel any knots, but I'm going to give you a muscle relaxer." It helped and once my muscles were forced to relax, they stopped being so tight.

Basically, doctors will rarely call you out on faking, because doctors do understand sometimes we have trouble explaining what's going on.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Extreme Pain - October 9th 2011, 04:47 PM

Wait!

You do not need a diagnosis before you see the doctor! You don't need anything but your experience and the ability to accurately describe that. If anything, you don't want to go in there and offer up a self diagnosis, it's a distraction to the doctor. Let him determine what's wrong based on your description and his examination of you.

Also, it's a bit troubling that you'd think a doctor would dismiss these symptoms, why would you think that? In any event, I'd strongly recommend you get to a doctor soon, and don't worry so much about what to call this or him taking that seriously. The seriousness of your symptoms speak to that.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Extreme Pain - October 9th 2011, 05:12 PM

My family has had really bad issues with doctors in this area, and because I'm an 18 year old college kid the first thing they assume for "pain" is drug seeking. Which I'm not, I'd actually rather not be given pain killers. I'm not looking for a diagnoses, and I'm not looking to self diagnose as I stated before I even started my post. Thank you to those that gave a few suggestions, I'm not going to look into them too much because as I said I'm not looking for something to diagnose myself with, but if they try blowing me off I'll possibly suggest they look into these specific things.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Extreme Pain - October 11th 2011, 04:36 AM

Fibromyalgia isn't a diagnosis you'd easily get as it's a diagnosis of exclusion and although pain, such as what you're describing is a symptom, it's not the only symptom, there are many others that occur alongside the pain. Other things you can tell the doctor are any changes in skin colour or any weakness or brief loss of sensation in certain areas (can suggest arterial blood clots and as a rule of thumb, massaging a blood clot will hurt like no tomorrow), or as something as simple as calcium levels out of whack.

I cant tell you what medication the doctor would prescribe, if any, however, there are some interesting ones for pain relief that are not opioids (i.e. not the ones people deal on the streets). This type of medication is a NCCB (N-type calcium channel blocker, there are several types of calcium channels, the details of the N-type are complex), such as Ziconotide and approved by the FDA in 2004. The only drawback is it has to be injected into the cerebrospinal fluid. It's a last resort if conventional pain meds don't work. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00023/art00002

The reason I mentioned the above is to show calcium can affect pain because there has been a very large debate amongst researchers and clinicians about it, this finding sets some of the debate to rest.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MandyGrrl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mandy

Re: Extreme Pain - October 19th 2011, 08:31 PM

Could it be lyme disease? My uncle had that.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Eli22 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Extreme Pain - October 21st 2011, 05:54 AM

It may happen due to some other issue at the same time pain in the multiple areas due to ur weakness or something why dont u fix a appointment with a physcial therapist he is the person who can help me..........

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Extreme Pain - October 22nd 2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGrrl View Post
Usually Lyme Disease has a noticeable bulls-eye like pattern or dark red/purple lumps on the skin, alongside additional symptoms, such as fever, headache, nausea, and general aches. As time progresses, when untreated the symptoms get worse and more numerous, so it'd be something clearly noticed, not to mention getting it from ticks or lice.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Extreme Pain - October 22nd 2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGrrl View Post
Been there, done that. We already know this is unrelated. But, I have an appointment in a couple weeks (it was impossible to get one soon with a good doctor, we had to switch who we went to)

Closed Thread