TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Nausea after eating. - November 13th 2011, 02:30 AM

It's been going on for some time, but I really didn't take any special notice to it until yesterday. I went out to eat at Applebee's with my boyfriend for their Veterans Day special. After eating, and waiting for the check, I began to feel the urge to throw up. I've experienced this on other occasions, but the urge was ridiculous this time. It's not like me wanting to make myself vomit. It was a natural reaction to throw up.

I know you aren't doctors, but does anyone have some idea of what this could be? It's beginning to get concerning, because it makes me not want to eat for fear I may actually puke up what I've eaten.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Nausea after eating. - November 13th 2011, 03:54 PM

Your doctor is the first person you should talk to. I had this and I was eventually diagnosed with acid reflux and put on medication.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Nausea after eating. - November 13th 2011, 05:55 PM

Could be a number of things: the speed you eat at, current stress levels, anxiety or even acid reflux. I would suggest going to the doctor so they can investigate further =) xx

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Nausea after eating. - November 13th 2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks guys. I wish there was another way of figuring it out without seeing a doctor. I'm not afraid to visit a doctor; I just don't have medical insurance or money for a doctor's visit at present. I'll do some more research, and if it gets worse, I'll talk to my parents about taking me to visit a doctor.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Nausea after eating. - November 16th 2011, 02:56 PM

See a doctor if it gets bad obviously....but when that happened to me, it was stress/anxiety. Also, mine was always worse when I was on a date too...I was so excited, nervous, and didn't want to look weird in front of him that I always got anxiety that caused nausea. It wasn't regular nausea though, it was like a very-mini panic attack that made me feel like I couldn't eat. Could that possibly be what it is for you? Or are you recovering from an eating disorder or ocd? Because food anxiety can happen then too (I have no medical proof of that, I just know from personal experience in the past).

If not, maybe acid reflux, an ulcer, or just a virus that's lingering? Only a doctor can tell you for sure.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Nausea after eating. - November 16th 2011, 05:27 PM

If it were an ulcer you would feel better after eating, not worse (according to my doctor when they were trying to figure mine out). Does it seem to get worse with certain foods?

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Nausea after eating. - November 16th 2011, 09:23 PM

Not really. I hate eaten a chicken fajita wrap from Applebee's when I had first really noticed that the nausea was there. However, I haven't been eating out much since I've been home (this occurred while visiting with my boyfriend, as mentioned). Since then, I haven't been experiencing any nausea. I think it may be something to do with acid reflux, as I've been having issues with heartburn after eating as well, and I know heartburn is a part of acid reflux. Though, I'm not a doctor and I can't diagnose myself, I just was looking to see if anyone had any ideas. Obviously I know that going to a doctor would be best, but as I mentioned above, I have no health care insurance or money to pay for a doctor's visit or any kind of medication I may need to care for it. I'll sit it out, and see if it goes away on it's own, or gets worse. If it does, I'll speak with a family member about me getting checked out.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
leavemealone Offline
I Still Miss You <3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raewyn

Re: Nausea after eating. - November 16th 2011, 10:01 PM

Yeah this has been happening to me too, but it stopped almost completely sometime last week.

Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Dopey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nausea after eating. - November 19th 2011, 03:26 AM

If you have no money for insurance there a a few things you could do that the doctor is likely to ask you to do any way.
First keep a food diary of what you eat daily. Along with the amounts and when you feel nauseous. I would do this for at least a couple of weeks. It maybe that you can begin to see a pattern then.
After a couple of weeks, choose a food group to cut out, eg dairy, so cheese, milk etc. Continue the diary, again amounts and a record of nausea.
If you note no changes, reintroduce dairy but cut out wheat. etc

There are a lot of allergies/intolerances that can develop of you get older and these can result in feelings of nausea. By keeping a diary you will be better informed if these are factors that could be effecting you or not. So when you can afford to see a doctor they will be able to make a better diagnosis.

Also something to consider (and to record in a food diary) is the amount of food and how quickly you ate it. Recently I've been having a similar issue, but I know that's just because I've been hanging out with my brother. I've been eating more, and much quicker, than usual. Eat more wheat based products when I'm with him as well. I spend the first hour after every meal feeling as though I'm going to be sick at any moment.

But when you can definitely worth seeking a doctors advice...

Closed Thread