TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Teeth Pain - November 25th 2011, 05:05 AM

I know they are my wisdom teeth and I am waiting for my doctor to call me back, and it's been over a month since I saw him. Because, I am waiting to hear about my insurance plan, since I have to have my wisdom teeth removed in the hospital since I have holes in my heart.

Anyways, my mouth hurts so bad. I can't even sleep and most pain relievers don't work (Aleve, Advil) and every once in awhile I just take a oxycodone, left over for my other surgery (my mom approves of it). But, how can I stop the pain? Like right now, it is so terrible. I don't want to keep taking the oxy because I drive and you can't take that strong of meds when you are driving.

Any ideas?

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Teeth Pain - November 25th 2011, 10:01 AM

Could you have possibly gotten an infection? I got one when my wisdom teeth were coming in and it was killer. I'd suggest booking an emergency appointment with your dentist if you can. A dose of antibiotics would fix it lickity split if that's the case.
As for now, I was told that when in extreme pain you can double up on medication, i.e. taking paracetamol every four hours and ibuprofen 2 hours after the paracetamol. So you don't get that awful bit of medication wearing off. Also, 12 hour ibuprofen, it works wonders. But then again, I've no idea what kind of medication you have over there xD It won't make all the pain go away, but it will help bucket loads.
I hope you feel better. On the plus side, this gives you a fantastic excuse to indulge in ice cream

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Teeth Pain - November 26th 2011, 01:07 PM

Yes, wisdom teeth are the most painful ones to come in! I had one come in right after I lost my insurance. It was horrible.

For the pain, you can try Orajel which numbs the gums where you put it, though there is some disagreement whether that hardens your gums and makes it worse. I guess you could try and see how it works for you. It's cheap and works for me.

Another thing is to put an ice pack on your jaw where you tooth is coming in. Be sure to wrap it in a towel. This can help reduce some swelling and pain.

Hydrocodone is usually prescribed by dentists for patients whose wisdom teeth are coming in. I'm not sure on the expense, but if you are low on the previous prescription maybe ask your dentist about the cost and getting some.

Gargling warm salt water can help relieve some swelling too. It acts as a less potent mouthwash by washing out the bacteria stuck under the inflamed gums.

Also, putting a finger or two on the sore gums and gently messaging in circles helps blood flow and can relieve some of the swelling.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
loubyloubylouby Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lou

Re: Teeth Pain - November 26th 2011, 01:23 PM

I feel your pain! i've had agony tooth pain a few times from a recurring infection and it was beyond agony! like someone else said... if its that bad yours might be an infection too?
i was told by the pharmacy to take 2 ibuprofen and 1 paracetamol together then after that keep changing... so 4 hours later have 2 more paracetamol, 4 hours after that have ibuprofen etc. apparently that helps to get on top of the pain more!

hope you feel better soon!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Teeth Pain - November 29th 2011, 01:15 AM

Awesome. Thank you for the help. My mom told me today, I probably won't be getting them out any time soon, which isn't good, I don't have much oxycodone left, so maybe I will request a new prescription.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

Closed Thread