TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lover of Tea <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abby

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ._. - December 5th 2011, 03:34 AM

"Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a condition caused by inflammation of the thyroid gland. It is an autoimmune disease, which means that the body inappropriately attacks the thyroid gland--as if it was foreign tissue. The underlying cause of the autoimmune process still is unknown."

I am a 15 year old girl and I found out I have this about half a month ago. I haven't been in school for 4 weeks because I'm too tired to focus and I get so cold that my fingers go numb. I like to imagine my antibodies with swords and shields attacking my thyroid, like in Zelda <3 > My thyroid will eventually die off and I will have to be on medication for the rest of my life.

In all seriousness though, I am so emotional that it's not funny. I cry at the smallest things. I get angry at the smallest things. I crave one food and one food only. I can't get any sleep. My sinus headaches get worse to the point that my teeth ache. I'm under 5 blankets at a time and sleep with 10. On most days I have such a horrible head ache that I can't focus and do homework. My medication is going up to a dosage of 100 mili grams in less than a week.

The worst symptom of all: I am at higher risk to become depressed.

Does anyone else have this disease? If so, how long? And any tips for me? If you don't have this and you are reading, tell me something happy. I find it hard to smile everyday.
  Send a message via Skype™ to OtherSideOfZeRainbow 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ._. - December 5th 2011, 12:06 PM

I don't have it, but I was wondering what treatment you are getting? This is usually a very treatable disease.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ._. - December 6th 2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSideOfZeRainbow View Post
The worst symptom of all: I am at higher risk to become depressed.
I'm confused how this is the "worst symptom of all" because you are just are also at a higher risk to develop manic episodes, irregular heart rhythm, infertility, impaired cognition, post-prandial hypoglycemia (blood sugar decreases after consuming a high-carb meal despite not having diabetes mellitus), gradual thermal sensory loss and the rare myxedema psychosis. All of these seem to be worse than simply a higher risk for depression. Hell, you even indicate you have some of these symptoms (i.e. thermal sensory loss), which can cause future physical damage.

The actual treatment for the thyroid damage is pretty simple, along with additional treatment for any of the other symptoms. I don't want to come off as a very callous individual but your viewpoint mentioned above is skewed and you're adopting a fatalistic view for a fairly easily manageable disease.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lover of Tea <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abby

Re: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ._. - December 11th 2011, 04:04 AM

escape_thereal_world: It is treatable but the medication takes a very long time to kick in. I'm on the a dosage of 100 (which is unusual for someone just starting out), it's been 4 weeks since I've started, and I still don't feel a whole lot better. I still get horrible migraines to the point where I have to curl up in bed with the lights off in total silence :P So yes, treatable, but the medication takes a while to start helping. Not to mention I may have to still get the dosage adjusted before I can start feeling normal again.

The Man And XX Master: Personally, it IS the worst one for me because I am already on the verge of depression. I would probably rather have anything else than be depressed, and that may sound strange, but it has effected so many people in my life who have it that I don't want to go through the same things that they do. I don't know...I guess I'm just strange to think that.

Yes, it is treatable, but like I stated, it takes a while for the medication to start working. Along with the fact I am a hormonal teenager (it usually isn't found in teenagers and kids) who can barely control her feelings as it is, having this effect my emotions has been very hard on me. Before they found out what it was, I cried at least once a day in one of my classes because of something someone said, or did. And there really isn't anything they can do about my thyroid dying. It will die and the medication just replaces the job of the thyroid. And it effects so many things about me I feel like I am a completely different person.

And, though, it sounds manageable and I probably just sound like a brat to you wanting to complain about it, it's been hard. I know this isn't as big as cancer or something that is killing you that you will die from, it completely alters your personality and your sensitivity to things. Literally, my eyes are watering typing this and I don't know why.

Another thing about the medication: a dosage of 100 might not be enough. After two weeks of being on 100 I have to go back for tests and see if I need to get a higher dosage before I start feeling better.

Who knows. Maybe I am just complaining about something that isn't that big of a deal. The only thing I know is that I want to stop crying at every little thing people say to me. I want to stop getting angry at every little thing. I want to actually be warm. I want the pain of migraines and head aches to stop so I can do some homework.
  Send a message via Skype™ to OtherSideOfZeRainbow 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ._. - December 11th 2011, 03:41 PM

Aww I'm so sorry! And dang, I thought I mentioned something happy before
Hm... Happy = You now have support on TeenHelp!

Anyways, the main thing I can tell you is just treat your symptoms. For depression, try writing sticky notes and putting them around the area you are in most. Have inspirational quotes or ask friends and family for quotes that apply to you. This might make it feel more meaningful.

For headaches, there isn't a whole lot you can do. I suggest taking a pain medicine and just relaxing with a cold or hot cloth (whichever you find helps more) on your forehead or back of your neck.

If you are sore elsewhere, then soaking in a hot tub with some epsom salt or bath salts could help.

And you aren't complaining at nothing. If you are feeling bad, then it's something. This is a treatable disease but I wasn't thinking of how long it would take the meds to kick in :P So, I was just a bit confused!

But, yes. take quotes from other people. When it's sunny out, open a window. The sun actually helps humans feel happier. Play with your pets more if you have any. Try cooking, drawing, writing, watching movies. Do anything you enjoy. If you are a social person, try going out more. For me, even if I'm just around strangers, it sometimes help.

Drink some green tea to help you relax. Chamomile tea is great as well. Hope this helps some.

Closed Thread