TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

No self-restraint. - December 17th 2011, 07:54 PM

Hiya.

I need to lose a little weight, and as the title says, I have no self-restraint and I suck at dieting. Why? I have no exercise equipment, no support from my family, nothing. I have plenty of motivation, but no resources. My mom cooks in carbs, grease, and protein. Our snack food is sugary cereal, chips, cookies, and things of that sort. It's the kind of food that once you get one bite of it, it's just too good to stop eating.

I've posted several threads on here before about this. After each time, I've did what you guys recommended: I talked to my mom about going shopping with her and picking out foods that are healthy for me to eat. Each time, she did. But each diet that I undertook lasted for only about as long as that first round of food: She refused to buy anything after that, saying that it was too expensive to buy on top of the food that she 'had' to get -- the unhealthy food. After every time I've posted on here, I've made a point to move as much as I can and go for a walk around the farm each day... Until I run out of food and my energy level drops because I eat too much of the bullshit my mom feeds us.

For the few months, I've been on a yo-yo diet and three halves. It's very unhealthy and stressful: I go from eating nothing at school to coming home and eating everything in sight -- a habit that even my ex boyfriend noticed and pointed out was really bad for me to do when we were dating. On the weekends, I basically gorge myself. I went three whole days on a fruit smoothie and a granola bar or two (I'd never felt so victorious in my life, which I know is bad), then started eating tons to make up for it and haven't been able to quit eating since.

My metabolism and energy level has dropped. I feel sick and I'm grumpy because I feel sick to my stomach whenever I'm not at school. I'm full of food all the time. Yet, I have nothing else to eat but the crap my mom keeps feeding me. I'm never happier than those first two weeks until my supply of healthy food runs out and I can't get any more to eat. She won't buy me anything that I want unless it's a box of cookies that she also wants. We're talking about a woman who doesn't know the difference between dates and figs, here.

Worst of all, my bedroom is behind the kitchen. I have to walk through it to go lay down, and after a long and stressful day at school, what's holding me back from reaching out for a candy bar and a soda and watching a movie in my room? Nothing.

It's gotten to the point that I'm no longer worried just for my appearance. I'm now worried that I'm either going to end up with an eating disorder or overweight. I need tips, hints, help: Anything, basically, that will help me keep from this endless teeter-totter of starving myself, then gorging myself. Yeah. Help?

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: No self-restraint. - December 17th 2011, 08:40 PM

Well why don't you eat at school? Most schools have some healthy choices now. Salads, water or milk or juice (little bit of juice is fine). As for what your mom cooks, that's okay too in small portions. Or if you eat only a small dessert plate of it and then have a decent sized salad with fruits and vegetables and very little or no dressing.

With that sort of diet, which is healthy and lets you have some of the 'naughty' foods too, you can even throw in a bit of snack food if you exercise some. At school, take the stairs if there is a choice.

Exercising doesn't have to be done with an elliptical. Even stairs at home work just fine. Or doing some crunches when you first wake up or an hour or so before bed. Start out with 25 crunches. When you stop feeling a pull, raise it up to 40 or whatever number you think you can do that still causes a pull on your muscles.

Instead of grabbing soda for a snack, grab water, milk, or juice. Juice should probably be limited to 8oz a day since it contains so much sugar. Milk is best if it's Skim, 1%, or 2%. If your mom gets the regular milk then you should try to limit your milk intake to 1 cup (8oz) a day, as well. So either in cereal or as a drink with a meal. Not both.

Ask your mom if you can get some flavor powders to add to water. They're fairly inexpensive. $5 usually lasts me 3-4 weeks. Just be sure it's sugarless flavor

There are lots of things you can do to improve your health without your mom's help. Granted, it's definitely not easy when you don't have support. But if you don't cut everything tempting out, it can get you started on a healthier diet so when you finally are on your own you can cut out everything you don't need.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: No self-restraint. - December 17th 2011, 09:00 PM

I'll try some of these things. Drinking water's never been a problem with me, though; I've always enjoyed just the water itself, haha.

The reason I don't eat at school is because it's terrible. I eat as much as I can stand of the least foul of the stuff on my plate, just enough to keep my stomach from growling, usually. The salad's not so bad, 'cept the dressing is so full of garlic it burns your mouth, and the lettuce is usually wilted, haha.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: No self-restraint. - December 18th 2011, 04:01 PM

That sounds horrible! You could take it up with the school board if you get pictures and present it to them and why your school needs a fresher and healthier meal plan. It worked with my school when I was in middle school.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: No self-restraint. - December 20th 2011, 11:03 AM

About the no self-restraint thing, well it is really difficult to stop eating those things once you start I can never stop once I start eating something yummy
So I'll suggest instead of eating directly from the packet take out a small serving and then hand over the rest to your mom and ask her to keep it somewhere you can't reach it. Hide it somewhere or maybe lock it in a cupboard. And if you're trying to loose weight, it is very important to eat after every 2-3 hours. Eat small servings of preferably healthy food after 2-3 hours. It will not make you hungry in between. And also keep up your metabolism which will help burn the fat faster. Boiled egg is recommended a lot for this purpose! Like if you want a snack then instead of eating bread jam you can go for egg whites in bread. It will be healthy, increase your metabolism and be filling. Eating healthy will reduce your hunger for cookies and all as it is very filling.
Then you need to convince your mom about eating healthy. You can prepare a chart. Like what you'll eat during a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Include some healthy things that you want and some cookies and all those things that your mum wants. Work out an agreement with her on this.
I hope this helps.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#6 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: No self-restraint. - December 21st 2011, 05:03 AM

First of all, blaming this on others will not help.

Excersise equipment is not necessary in weight loss, and can actually be counter-productive. Most machines build muscle. Cardio excerises, such as jogging, dancing etc. are most effective in weight loss.

Secondly you are now a teen, and your mother is no longer responsible for you all the time. You can encourage her to buy a salad, or work on portion control.

Thirdly, avoid junk food all together if self-control is an issue. You'll just keep saying "what can one bag of chips hurt?" Until you've eaten five. It's hard to stop once you start.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

Closed Thread