TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Unhappy Severe Migraines - February 15th 2012, 06:52 PM

Hello. For the past month I've been dealing with severe migraines. Started out pretty gradual, then got to be really bad. I (stupidly) went to work and ended up passing out and had seizure-like convulsions. I went to the ER and they said it wasn't an actual seizure, and said it must have my body's reaction to the severe pain. After that, I've gone to the ER two more times and my regular doctor countless times. They ruled out pretty much any other major thing through blood tests and a CT scan. I was given a lot of pain relievers for the migraine, but it didnt help. The only time i had a little bit of relief was the second time in the ER after having a "cocktail" of drugs through the IV. They gave me depakote, a magnesium supplement, and bendryl. Usually, those drugs are given to those suffering from epilepsy, but they are sometimes used to treat migraines and also Bipolar Disorder. They don't know if that would be a good long-term solution, though. It's been extremely debilitating. I can't work or go to school. I pretty much sleep all day so I dont have to suffer from the pain. I'm waiting to see a neurologist next week. I have been trying to stay away from foods containing MSG, as well.

So, I'm wondering if any of you guys have any feedback?
-Your experience with migraines
-What helped?
-Are there any other trigger foods you know of for migraines?
-Any lifestyle changes
-Your experience on these drugs, if you've had them prescribed to you

Any comments and/or suggestions are appreciated

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Severe Migraines - February 15th 2012, 07:13 PM

Wow, I can't imagine having to go through that kind of pain on a daily basis! I feel for you.
I do suffer from migraines every now and then and they are extremely painful when they do happen. Usually, I can't make them go away with any kind of normal off the shelf pain relievers like Advil or Tylenol and it almost always results in being physically sick. Personally, I have to stay away from a lot of stuff that is candy coated, candy coated chocolate, etc. - for some reason that triggers a migraine for me. I hope your doctors are able to figure out what's going on so you can get some relief soon. Good luck.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
carwreckblonde Offline
Average Joe

Name: vicki

Re: Severe Migraines - February 15th 2012, 07:37 PM

jeezo! that must be horrible for you! I too suffer from migraines. Mine started off with just stress but now I get them 2-3 times a week and are quite painful. I always find if i eat curries, chocolate, cheese and really any dairy product then one comes on. My doctor prescribes Migralive and co-codamol but they dont always work for me. I hope you find a way to prevent them! good luck

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Severe Migraines - February 15th 2012, 09:11 PM

I take excedrin migraine, which helps sometimes. Do you have a heating pad? If not, buy one lol. This is gonna sound dumb, but hold it on the top of your head. This takes the edge off just enough for me to fall asleep.
For me, it's smells, not foods, that trigger them. Perfume, lotion, cleaning chemicals and menthol are the ones I've identified so far, along with changes in the weather.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Severe Migraines - February 17th 2012, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys! I've found that taking hot showers and letting the water run on my neck has helped. Releasing tension. The heating pad idea was great! Put it around my neck and it seemed to help, too. My mom suggested maybe seeing a massage therapist and/or chiropractor to see if that would help, and I think I agree. Anyone have experience with that? I think sometimes it's more of a tension headache from built up stress. Also, Excedrin migraine has surprisingly helped More than some of the prescribed medicine I've had!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Severe Migraines - February 17th 2012, 09:58 AM

-Your experience with migraines
I have suffered from migraines since I was... eleven, I think. Horrible things. Kept getting sent home from school. I've never had them bad enough to end up in the hospital, so I really feel for you because mine are awful enough.

-What helped?
Regular sleeping patterns, strong painkillers, avoiding triggers, when I get one I keep the room dark.

-Are there any other trigger foods you know of for migraines?
For me, products with gluten in, and also chocolate.

-Any lifestyle changes
I found changing my diet to something less carbs based, and also getting better sleep. Not using the computer for long periods of time. Oh, and I'm light sensitive, so wearing sunglasses outside. xD

-Your experience on these drugs, if you've had them prescribed to you
I didn't get prescribed drugs, I've had an awful experience with doctors not knowing what's wrong with me and not knowing what to do.

Try keeping a diary and noting down anything that might be a trigger. Over a few weeks you'll start to (hopefully) see patterns emerge and will be able to avoid or start dealing with triggers.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: Severe Migraines - February 17th 2012, 11:50 PM

Gez louise that is terrible=( I understand though. Me and my mom are migrane sufferers. Mom started getting them when she was in her 20s and has one almost everyday. I got mine when I was very young, I was like 4 or 5 and they lasted till I was about 11 or 12. I would get them at least once a week. They would usually last a whole day. I'd be in pain and throwing up at night and the next morning, i'd be better. Now, I just get them around my period. So I don't know, yours may not last forever.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Severe Migraines - February 20th 2012, 07:30 PM

Update: Finally got in to see the neurologist, after a few more trips to the ER xP He was really nice and super helpful! He prescribed a different type of medication, also used to treat seizures at higher doses. That should manage it for now. I'm getting more tests done. An EEG, MRI, more blood work, and an eye appointment. I'm one step closer to getting this figured out! Wahoo! Thank you guys for your help, and any more suggestions are always welcome

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Severe Migraines - February 20th 2012, 09:04 PM

I'm glad you're getting somewhere with this and I wish you all the best at your appointments! I'm going to close this thread now. If you'd like it re-open then feel free to send either of the moderators a PM! Again, I wish you all the best
x

Closed Thread