TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Dylan

A little...weird - March 4th 2012, 05:11 PM

So, I have a few question about a girl's period that I have been curious about, but to nervous to ask in person.

(Please excuse any ignorant/obvious questions, I really don't know xD)

1) Is it actually blood that comes out every month?

2)Does the blood come out like...more than once in the week period?

-Again, really sorry for stupid questions-

3)Do you constantly have to use tampons/pads?

4)Which do most girls prefer, tampons or pads?

5)What exactly does a cramp feel like?

Even typing this my hands got sweaty xD.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: A little...weird - March 4th 2012, 06:18 PM

Hi again, Dylan..

I'm a guy, but I know a bit about this..except maybe for the last couple you asked. So, while you;re waiting, I'll help out with what I know.

1) Yes, it's blood that comes out. And a bit of the lining of the uterus, which has been thickening up during th cycle in prep for implantation of the fertilized egg. No fertilization means the cycle completes itself by shedding the uterine lining. Then, it starts up again. That's why it's called a 'Monthly cycle'.

2) Blood comes out thru the 'period', the amount varies as the period progresses, as it gets closer to the end, the flow decreases. Also, it's not a huge amount of blood, either.

3) Yes, some sort of sanitary protection is used throughout the period to catch blood flow.

Also, let me add that girls actually have three openings for all three functions: Vagina=sex, urethra=urine, and anus=poop. The first two are closer together, but are distinct. The anus is in the same place as it is for us. (Guys as you know have two openings).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: A little...weird - March 4th 2012, 06:24 PM

Well yeah, I know what the things are and where they are xD (and I enjoy how even though I'm still 20, I still laugh at 'poop')

How does a girl "bleed through"?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: A little...weird - March 4th 2012, 06:33 PM

'Bleed thru"?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: A little...weird - March 4th 2012, 06:35 PM

I think we need a female in here, Bobby. xD

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A little...weird - March 4th 2012, 08:07 PM

1) Is it actually blood that comes out every month? Yes, however it is a lot thicker than blood you see in a cut or something, since it is basically discharge to clean out the system & get rid of unfertilized eggs & stuff.

2) Does the blood come out like more than once in the week period? It comes out for multiple days, doesn't stop until the period is done, however there are times where it should be done, but may start again depending on the circumstances.

3) Do you constantly have to use tampons/pads? Yes. How much comes out depends on the girl, so some only need pads, whereas some really need tampons. Or some use both to make sure it doesn't bleed through.

4) Which do most girls prefer, tampons or pads? Depends on the girl. I know girls who refuse to use tampons. For me, I prefer tampons over pads.

5) What exactly does a cramp feel like? Like a major pain in the lower stomach.

Bleeding through is where it goes through the tampons or pads & may show through the pants or underwear. We have to change the tampons & pads after a certain amount of time or at least every time we go to the bathroom to prevent this, plus to prevent infections.

Sorry if that's all TMI

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: A little...weird - March 4th 2012, 08:13 PM

First off, I'd like to say that these questions aren't stupid at all. So, don't worry about asking them

1) Yes, when a woman has her period it is blood that comes out. To be slightly more specific, it is the lining of the uterus which thickens through out a woman's monthly cycle (usually to prepare the body for pregnancy) and then that lining sheds (when the body does not become pregnant), causing the woman to have her period.

2) Yes, a woman "bleeds" through out her entire period. How long a period lasts just varies from woman to woman. Some periods will last 3 days while others last up to 7.

3) Yes. Either tampons or pads are used during the entire time of a womans period.

4) Each woman is different. Some like using tampons, others pads. I'm not sure if I could say which one is preferred most by woman...but, tampons are pretty popular with most women just for comfort and cleanliness reasons.

5) A cramp, which is caused by the uterine muscles contracting when the lining breaks down and sheds, is like someone is squeezing and twisting your stomach sort of. Cramps are usually felt in the lower abdomen and lower back. For some women they can be pretty painful - so if you ever hear someone complaining just know that it does actually hurt sometimes

I hope this helped a bit! And again, don't worry about asking these questions! It's better to be educated and know, than not to be at all

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: A little...weird - March 4th 2012, 08:18 PM

Alright Thanks ladies. Those questions have been burning since 6th grade health class. xD Well done.

Closed Thread