TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Pinched Nerve or Just Realllly Tight Muscle? - April 1st 2012, 03:53 PM

Well, hello!

I'll make this quick. For the last two or so years I've been dealing with neck pain. It's inbetween my neck and my shoulder, and whenever anyone feels the muscle back there they all say, "Jesus, you're tight." Even I can feel it, it's almost like rock. (Ok, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration, but it's still extremely hard and tense.)
Sitting, standing, laying down, tense, relaxed, in between, moving around, staying still- that part of my neck will out of nowhere start flaring and throbbing and... ow. The pain is an 8 on a scale of 1-10 and it... hopefully, you get what I'm trying to say but it feels deeper then just a muscle pain. I have a knot in my back that's just a tight muscle that cramps every now and then and it doesn't feel anything close to that. My neck pain is sharper, deeper, and radiates outward, up and down, left and right. No amount of massaging, heating pads, handheld massager will work out the tightness, or the pain. Even while I'm massaging it the pain doesn't stop.
When I tilt my neck left and right (not moving my head, but tilting my neck so my head rests on my shoulder) it's honestly incredibly painful. When I tilt it to the left it's a sharp pain, when I tilt it to the right it's even worse.

Should I explore the possibility of a pinched nerve, or should I do some hardcore massaging and see if it's just a reeeaaaaaaalllllllllllly really tight muscle?

(The knot in my back is no problem, I know I just need someone to work that stupid thing out like any other knot.)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Pinched Nerve or Just Realllly Tight Muscle? - April 1st 2012, 06:27 PM

2 years is a long time to be in pain, regardless of the cause, this should be checked out.

Also, as an FYI, although deep muscle massage is often beneficial and certainly feels good, it isn't an effective treatment for serious muscle or neurological damage, and people remarking on 'tightness' isn't a real diagnosis, or even an accurate observation..

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Pinched Nerve or Just Realllly Tight Muscle? - April 1st 2012, 07:09 PM

I'm afraid I don't understand. Remarking on tightness isn't a diagnosis...? What?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Pinched Nerve or Just Realllly Tight Muscle? - April 1st 2012, 08:33 PM

What he means is that just by people saying "it's tight" does not mean it's just a tight muscle, nor does it mean anything might even be wrong. Although, since you are in pain, there is clearly something wrong.

It would be best to see a doctor about this. Too much pressure on a nerve or muscle can cause long-term damage. Since you have had this two years, you should see a doctor to get diagnosed, get medicine or treatment options, and see if there might be severe damage.

The best thing you can do at home is to just relax the muscle as much as possible. Stretch, but don't overexert yourself. And continue taking hot baths with epsom salt, using heating pads,etc.

Keep in mind, often times using massagers and having others massage your back can actually cause more damage. So, I would stray from massages until you get a diagnosis from a doctor.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Pinched Nerve or Just Realllly Tight Muscle? - April 2nd 2012, 03:25 AM

I've told my mom over and over again but she won't ever do anything about it. She says just massage it out.
Also, the pain isn't like UNBEARABLY AGONIZINGLY EXCRUCIATING but it does hurt a LOT.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Pinched Nerve or Just Realllly Tight Muscle? - April 2nd 2012, 12:02 PM

Do you have a school nurse? You could try to talk to her about it. A lot of times the nurse will inform your parents. Perhaps by having the nurse tell her you need to get checked out, she might take it a bit more seriously.

I just don't think this is a tight muscle since it has lasted so long and you have tried a lot of things that just have not worked. Not to say this is a life or death matter :P Just saying it should be checked out.

Other than that, just keep doing what you are doing and try your best to not use the muscle too much. Hot baths with epsom salt, heating pads, can even take ibuprofen to relieve some of the pain and inflammation.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Pinched Nerve or Just Realllly Tight Muscle? - April 2nd 2012, 02:07 PM

I know it's nothing serious and I'll take your advice on that. Thanks.

Closed Thread