TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
taylorr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

??? - April 2nd 2009, 01:48 AM

Okay, so here's the thing, Sunday night my boyfriend broke up with me. I decided I didn't want to "feel anything," so I took some pills. Monday I woke up, decided I didn't want to "feel anything" so I took some more pills and continued to take pills throughout the day. Tuesday, same thing. Today, same thing only fewer pills than I had taken before. All together I have taken around 150 pills. They are only over the counter drugs (Nyquil, Aleve, Advil). So, today I get home and go to the bathroom. And my period started. 1st weird thing: I ALWAYS know when my period starts and today I didn't know. 2nd weird thing: My period usually starts out bright red and steady flow and towards the end becomes a darker red and a much lighter flow. Today, my period is a darker red and light flow. 3rd thing: I keep having to pee. Not a lot, just short little pees, and often and it hurts like hell when I do. (Almost like an UTI). So, I guess my question is, could taking all of those pills be causing these things to happen to my body?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: ??? - April 2nd 2009, 01:53 AM

Hi Taylor-
I'm sorry to hear that you are having a rough time. We can't say for certain whether or not the overdose is causing the period and UTI issues--but in addition to those issues, taking that many pills is extremely dangerous and you need to get immediate medical attention. Overdoses can lead to a lot of complications, including death, and you need to reach out to a parent or other adult asap so they can bring you to the ER. I know it's scary but you deserve to get healthy and get back on track. Please keep us posted.

Jen

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
taylorr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: ??? - April 2nd 2009, 01:59 AM

Well, technically an adult already knows. And, I don't think I need to go to the ER. I mean I'm able to function normally, the only thing different about me is the issues with my period and UTI. I know taking that many pills is dangerous and that saying it was over a three day time period isn't really going to mean much, but I really don't think I need to go to the ER, plus I don't really have time to go to the ER or to a Doctor as I'm leaving the country tomorrow night.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: ??? - April 2nd 2009, 03:05 AM

You already heard this, but overdosing, especially on medications like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and motrin, is very very dangerous, as it does damage to your kidneys and liver especially.

It's your decision obviously, but with the early period and urination issues, I would also agree you need to at the least call or see a doctor for advice on what to do, if not go to the ER.

Other than that, there really isn't any advice I can give you with self treatment at home other than to keep an eye on your symptoms. If they worsen, you definitely need to go.

Quote:
Never get into self-help or trying out home remedies when you are suspecting Ibuprofen overdose. Since it can be fatal, its best to seek medical help. The more time you allow to pass, the more complicated it keeps getting for an Ibuprofen Overdose Patient.
More information at MedlinePlus

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: ??? - April 2nd 2009, 10:54 AM

Hey Taylor,

In the future, I highly reccomend against taking such high a dose of those medications. It sound to me like you took enough to cause a sever overdose. I recommend seeking emergenvy medical treatmeant right away wether it is for a possible UTI or something more serious. Here is some information that might interest you:

Quote:
Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.
This medicine can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking ibuprofen. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.
Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
I know it can be scary but you need get some help and tell the doctors the truth. They just want to help you get better and they can't do that if they don't know what is going on. For example, if I think I broke my arm I don't go to the doctor and tell them my foot hurts. Let them know exactly whats happening. You are strong and you can do this. We are all here to support you. Your life could very well be in danger. Please seek medical attention before it is to late. I know deep down you don't want to die. Your life is worth so much. Don't let fear stand in the way of saving yourself. You are smarter than that. You are stronger than that. You can do it. If you ever need someone to talk to I am here for you. I am never to busy to listen and I will help you in any way that I can. I hope you make the right decision and go to the hospital. I will be praying for you. Take care and be safe.

Lots of love <3

source: http://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ??? - April 2nd 2009, 10:59 AM

We're not professionals and so we can't guarantee to give you accurate medical advice, but a doctor can. Taking an overdose can seriously harm your body and cause many different side effects, so it's vital that you see a doctor as soon as possible.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: ??? - April 2nd 2009, 12:29 PM

Even if you're able to function alright you need to go to the hospital or at least the doctor. Taking 150 pills is not good for your body. It can cause long term kidney and liver damage and damage to other organs in the body. Please go to the doctor. It could be the pills causing you to come on your period when you're not meant to, in fact if you say you always know when you're about to come on then it probably is the pills.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: ??? - April 2nd 2009, 01:04 PM

I'd be curious as to just how much of a beating your liver has taken. ASA in high doses can involve lethality, as it gets metabolised to SA and other metabolites, which in high doses, lead to saturation of the liver then some other not to pleasent things.

One of the things that the liver is able to do is to biotransform molecules to be able to better go through kidneys. When you start popping that many pills, this ability of the liver is rather inhibited, and your kidneys and other organs, including blood, have to try and remove it themselves. SA can bind to various molecules in the bloodstream, thus making it a lot harder to remove.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: ??? - April 2nd 2009, 05:11 PM

Found this here: http://www.healthoma.com/what-can-ib...ose-do-to-you/

Quote:
Some more side effects are unsteadiness, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, gastrointestinal, nausea plus vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, probable loss of blood in intestinal areas or stomach or both, headache, agitation, drowsiness, incoherence and confusion etc. Sometimes more serious symptoms are also noticed in some victims though very rare such as seizure, gastrointestinal bleeding, metabolic acidosis, respiratory depression, hyperkalaemia, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, coma, hepatic dysfunction, renal failure, cyanosis, and cardiac arrest etc. Until and unless the victim is allergic to ibuprofen, there is a slim chance that the victim would die from Ibuprofen Overdose.
Ibuprofen Overdose can cause stinking vomiting, profuse sweating, severe abdominal pain, and can land you straight in the mental hospital for attempted suicide, where you may be medicated with things like liquid carbon or charcoal.
After reading that, I would definitely suggest that you get yourself to a doctor, or even to the emergency room. As said, it's extremely dangerous to OD or take to many of any kind of pill. Even if you're not positive that there's something wrong, it's important that you see a doctor.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

Closed Thread