TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jokgo25 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Joanna

Helping Someone - May 29th 2012, 07:38 PM

A lot of my friends and some of my family members use drugs. I have never used them myself. Recently one of my best friends I have known for my entire life has become deeply addicted to a variety of things. He has disconnected himself from me and his old group of friends. I know drug addiction is a tricky thing and definitely not something you can just stop. Can anyone give me some advice on what I could do to just support him and let him know I am there when he wants to quit? What would be some of the things I could do for him to support him best. I would really appreciate anyone who could give me some advice.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Helping Someone - May 30th 2012, 03:05 AM

Hey Joanna,

Literally, telling him the same thing you've told us would help a lot. Honestly, you cannot control is addiction, and you don't want to get yourself caught up in all the drama in it, because giving him that unhealthy attention will only hurt you. However, letting him know you will be there during his RECOVERY is the best thing you can do. I'm also going to leave you this helpful video about alcohol abuse, although you said his addiction is other drugs, it will really help you figure out ways to help your friend who is an addict. Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Helping Someone - May 31st 2012, 07:26 PM

I agree with Traci, just tell him the same things you're telling us. Telling him you'll be there for him when he wants to recover is letting him know you still care but you can't be there to enable him.
Let us know what happens

Closed Thread