TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
spenerish Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Warning to those who abuse OTC drugs - July 28th 2012, 07:18 PM

Hi, I just wanted to let all of you who abuse or have abused OTC drugs know what happened to me, and why you should not do OTC drugs.

I started taking robittussin and nyquil when I was in 7th grade, and I took A LOT of it. Back then, I was just realizing that what my physically abusive father did to me, my sister and my mother was wrong, and that really made my life a living hell, especially since I did nothing to stop him. Being an Asian kid in an American school is NOT easy, especially when you're in middle school and everyone thinks theyre grown up but are still immature enough to take a shit on everyone remotely different. To cope with the guilt, the fear, and the racism, I began taking OTC drugs like that and it must be the stupidest thing I've ever done, period. I can't remember much past 7th grade, and I was a mess every day. I took an insane amount of nyquil, going through what I believe was a ten-pack in only three weeks along with all the drugs I found in the cabinet, like benadryl, prescription oxycontin, and a big orange bottle of painkiller (acetaminophen). I attempted to commit suicide many times by drinking full bottles of cough syrup (which by the way is awful, you'll throw up), but every morning I would just wake up feeling like absolute crap and I would be just asking why over and over again. I wish I could have talked to my mother about this, but I was at the time very upset that she did not leave my father, who beat her first three days after the wedding.

In 8th grade, I had slowed down taking drugs. I started getting involved in more club activities to get my mind off of things, but still I visited the cabinet occasionally. By now, I was mostly taking benadryl, which gave possibly the weirdest highs. But still, there would be times where I would just feel like the world is against me and start chugging cough syrup. I also enjoyed the effect that painkillers gave me, like the weird tingly sensation, and took a crapton of it. I actually carried a bottle of tylenol and would take them in the bus. However, I realized that I needed to stop taking so much drugs when I tried out for track and threw up dark brown, coagulated blood (the other kids thought it was some kind of asian food, too, but i had not eaten anything remotely brown that day)

So I did practically stop taking drugs once I got to high school in ninth grade, but I still used them occasionally. I had the worst job I think I will ever work the summer after 8th grade, which was working as a transport employee who went to huge, freezing warehouses and buy giant boxes of jamaican produce (no kidding) earning less than 1/3 the minimum wage, for my own fucking aunt. My father had asked me to work alongside him, and I agreed because although he abuses me and my family, we painfully know that living in America on only a visa is fucking backbreak and I still loved my father. Surprisinigly though, the worst thing I took that summer was 5-hour energy for an especially excruciating day.

It was all thanks to marching band that I quit taking drugs for comfort. I had people who accepted me as an equal and a friend, rather than call out my asianness every few seconds. But still, I was definitely angry with my mother and decided that I would just avoid contact with her. So, I was definitely out of the house most of the times, but not to take drugs but to simply hang out. It was fun and that was when I found true happiness, just having friends who actually value you.

But one night, I came back home from marching band and my mother and I got in an argument. I cannot remember the details, but all i remember was getting very pissed and taking 12 tylenol pills as a suicide attempt. Needless to say I stayed up all night puking and puking until my stomach was empty, then drinking water so I had something to puke again. I don't know why, but it wasn't like the time when I just chugged nyquil. Probably because pills have more acetaminophen and i took a lot of them, but it started hurting. Really badly. My kidneys hurt like they were on fire and I didn't go to marching band that day, having barely endured school. I got nauseous and I told my mother what happened. She was surprised, but I think 1. because she didn't know what actually happened when someone takes 12 tylenol pills and 2. because she didn't know my past drug uses, she only cried a bit then we decided to not go to the ER, but instead went to GNC to pick up N-Acetyl Cysteine, which was supposedly the antidote to acetaminophen poisoning and also a popular supplement. Obviously I did not get the whole intravenous treatment but I took half of the pills in that bottle that day.

Everything after that went fairly well, I still drank alcohol occasionally before parties but nothing too bad. But unfortunately, the drugs I took all these years came with consequences.

Starting a little bit before the tylenol incident, I began having chronic thirst. I thought it was really nothing, because it's good to drink water, right? My kidneys still hurt from time to time but the pain vanished in a few weeks. I completed my freshman year of high school with nothing too significant. After my freshman year, I found out on a very short term notice that I had to go back to S. Korea to complete high school because it is simply too much to keep up the visa. I had expected it to happen though, and before the year ended I broke up with my girlfriend at that time because I thought it was better for her to blame me instead of the world when I moved away. So after a great big teary night with my friends, I boarded a flight to Korea alone and moved in with my aunt (I had applied to a science high school, which is all-english and required an entrance exam that I failed) while the rest of my family stayed back to try and sell the house. In Korea, I began experiencing random nausea and threw up quite a bit. I also started peeing A LOT. It was an awful cycle, waking up at night with a thirsty, dry throat and drinking water, then going to the restroom, then repeating every hour or so.
And just today, I had another bout of throwing up at 3 AM and I noticed an insane bitterness and bile in my regurgitate. Right now, I'm reaching for another drink and my bladder is full again, and I'm pretty sure my kidneys are failing. In a few weeks, I am going to go to a doctor and get myself checked out but I won't tell my mother if i can because it would just worry her and I don't believe we'll be able to afford treatments either.

I was planning to go back to America for college and settling down there as a teacher, but I'm not even sure if I'll make it through high school.

I've been through so much shit, and many of us here probably have too, but please, take my words for it, don't do OTC drugs! They're not pure hallucinogens but they're mixed in concoctions of acetaminophen (which doesn't even get you high, by the way) and disgusting "cherry" flavor in case of nyquil. Trust me, things will get better, but when the better things arrive and your body is fucked up, you really wont be able to enjoy the better things. Right now, I'm 15 years old and my kidneys are already creaking and groaning. And there are people who love me and want me back in the states, but I don't know if I'll even be able to do go back.

In a few weeks time, when I go to the doctors, I'll update you people on what my kidneys are like.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Warning to those who abuse OTC drugs - July 28th 2012, 07:28 PM

That sounds very rough and I really hope you'll be able to keep living and pursuing your dreams.

Honestly though, why visit the doctor in a few weeks instead of as soon as possible? If you think your kidneys are failing (and they most definitely are) you should seek medical attention as fast as you can. Waiting any longer could be deadly. I didn't catch what country you live in, but surely there is some sort of aid available if you can't afford the medical treatments.

Also as a side note, acetaminophen is damaging to your liver too, and you more than likely have liver damage in addition to renal failure.

Closed Thread