TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sleeplessnight Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maria

overusage - December 26th 2012, 12:47 AM

I kinda have a problem... Ok I have a problem. I take pain killers for non-pain purposes. I kinda use them to make me numb and oblivious to whats going on around me. I use my inhaler the same way. It used to be not a big issue but now... its kinda out of hand. I have tried stopping but can't, I have however sorta weened myself off of it. Any ideas?

5򉩁3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: overusage - December 26th 2012, 03:21 AM

Would you consider rehab? It's pretty expensive though and isn't guaranteed to work. And I am not sure how old you are but if you're a minor unless the case is extreme no one is likely to send you there right away. Otherwise you could maybe possibly try things like trying following the 12 steps used in AA, I know that a lot of rehab programs include this and one of them includes telling people to stay single for a year. I don't know why that is so significant but it seems to be major, many of my friends or acquaintances who have done various rehab programs have commented on this. You can probably google it and then you can PM me and I would be happy to try to help you fit that to your life.
If that isn't your idea of a good time then you should definitely try talking to your parents or roommates. If the people you live with are holding you accountable then it might help. Like for example maybe give who ever you live with your meds so that you have to go ask them for it in order to take it and set up some sort of system so that you can't just have them and maybe find a way to have the person lock them up while you are sleeping (ex. in a safe) so that you can't wake up and just sneak it out cause they're sleeping and can't stop you. Something like that might help too. They don't need to never give it to you, but you guys can set up a system so that they'll only let you have them when you genuinely need them. If you have asthma though make sure you take your inhaler when you are going out somewhere though, it wouldn't be good to have an asthma attack and not have your inhaler, but then leave it out where your housemates can hide it on you.
But doing something like the 12 steps might help because it could help you be honest with yourself when you are taking these things and oculd help you slow down on taking them unnecessarily.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: overusage - December 26th 2012, 05:13 AM

Hey,

Pain killers are very hard to quit for most people. Some people do not have as much of a problem quitting as others, but in my experience it is difficult. My main suggestion, as mentioned, is rehab. It can sound like a scary solution to this problem, and at least for me, it felt too extreme for a problem that was just "a little out of hand". But usually if you are realizing it is out of hand, it has progressed further than you realize. Do some research on rehabs. Some are long term, some are 30 days, it all depends. At the very least consider detox, where they would help you with the physical dependency that accompanies coming off of pain killers. The physical effects can be unpleasant, and having medical and psychological help through that time is very important. See what rehabilitation programs there are near you and call and ask any questions you may have. Many places will even let you talk to an intake counselor without giving them any personal information.

Narcotics Anonymous is also a good option. If you have never heard of it, you should definitely look it up. It is often abbreviated as NA. It is basically a support group for people with addiction issues. They work through a twelve step program to better yourself throughout all of life, aiding in not only quitting the drugs, but changing your life in a way that you do not feel you need to escape using drugs. There are even groups for teenagers or younger people. If you go to a meeting and do not enjoy it, you can also try AA or Alcoholics Anonymous. It is geared towards alcoholics, but it is addiction in general and I have seen many people in those meetings who do not have an alcohol problem.

Whether you choose to use those options or not, it is important to speak to someone around you. It can be a friend, a school counselor, family, whoever you feel could help you the most and you could be completely honest with. I always go towards therapists and counselors for issues like this because they are not emotionally involved and I have just had better results when speaking with them. But support while you are going through drug addiction or recovery is the most important part in my opinion.

If you want to do it on your own, a disclaimer I mentioned already, the physical withdrawal can be hard to deal with on your own. Even having a friend who can help get you water, or take you to a doctor if necessary is helpful. Slowly decreasing use is hard because usually we talk ourselves into taking more eventually. If you are going to do it yourself it is important to note the reasons you started and continue using the pain killers in a way other than prescribed in the first place. Then consider what you can do to change that so you do not feel that desire. Even alternatives of things you can do to distract yourself, or how to get out of unhealthy situations are good.

Best of luck, I hope everything works out for you. Addiction and overuse can be hard to deal with. Be careful to not let it ruin your life.

Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

Closed Thread