TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
weaved1 Offline
fruit loop
Average Joe

Name: --

Will substance use decay my mental health? - August 8th 2014, 11:41 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Throughout my adolescence I've experimented with over a dozen substances; DXM, weed, MDMA, Acid, 2ci, DMT, coke, ket, poppers and a lot of pharmaceutical drugs of all sorts, both uppers and downers to name a few. Besides the comedowns, the expenses and the occasional trainwreck experiences, they go alright.

I am worried if the prolonged use of the drugs above will lead to a decay in my mental health or leave impending effects. I know people with crippling anxiety and depression from drugs and I guess I'm lucky it hasn't affected me directly yet.

Many of the drugs I've used opened up my eyes to many things and new experiences, more positives than negatives but I'm worried that all this will somehow lead to something bad one day.. which is probably the red flag to quit using them while I can but I'm afraid I already developed a habit towards a few things already and it is causing this unsettling malaise in me. the problem with me is that I don't know when to stop.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lovesophiaxx Offline
The One And Only
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sophia jade

Re: Will substance use decay my mental health? - August 8th 2014, 01:10 PM

Look I know what you mean! I too have tried a lot of things in my life... I'm only 16 and have already done most of what you have. I know that it's hard to stop but these habits need to come to an end. They will damage to a lot mentally and physically. All you need is a lot of will power and if you feel that that is not enough go and talk to someone that can help you! I beer needed help because I got through it on my own....

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Will substance use decay my mental health? - August 10th 2014, 04:06 AM

All substances have consequences. Continued use never turns out well, so it's always best to quit as soon as you can. I'm on a similar boat in that I experimented a lot, but I've noticed it's brought out my mood swings more so I quit again almost a week ago and hopefully for good this time.
It's hard to quit substance abuse once you start, but it actually will make you feel much better and clearheaded. Keep reminding yourself you don't need whatever substances you use most, and try and plan out activities to keep you occupied because the first couple of weeks will be the hardest.
I also recommend finding a support group, there should be one nearby you. It can help you learn about how other people are coping and you can make friends to help you through the struggle.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
weaved1 Offline
fruit loop
Average Joe

Name: --

Re: Will substance use decay my mental health? - August 16th 2014, 02:17 PM

I guess I didn't learn my lesson(s)..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Will substance use decay my mental health? - August 17th 2014, 04:55 PM

It takes time to. Just keep focusing on being healthier and keep reminding yourself that you don't need any substances to be happy.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Will substance use decay my mental health? - August 20th 2014, 02:17 PM

Nicole is right. I used to smoke weed but it would cause me such horrible panic attacks that I would feel like I was dying. It completely obliterated my attention span so I couldn't control what I did, I would stare at a wall for 10 minutes and not be able to think of a reason to stop very quickly and that was a horrible feeling for me.

People are actually at a higher risk for having a psychotic break if they're using drugs, including weed, and the risk goes up if you have existing mental health issues - anxiety, depression or so on, could also include ADHD but I'm never sure where ADHD falls (behaviour or mood?)

It is very challenging to quit. If you are struggling I know of many amazing addictions counsellors, many of whom seem to personally know what addiction is like. They will exist where you live too even if you live in a small town.

I have seen s many peoples lives screwed up because of drugs - physically, mentally, socially, economically, etc. and it's definitely a huge risk. It is one that's your choice to make but the people I know who quit always felt better once they got away from that.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Will substance use decay my mental health? - August 23rd 2014, 01:58 AM

I've experimented with drugs and the simple answer to your question is yes. They do distort your brain chemistry but its your brain, free will is a wonderful thing. You'll never know the person you could have been. The changes take place and you don't even know they did. If there is a devil he's hiding in those pills.

Closed Thread