TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

View Poll Results: Why did you start using substances? (all responses are anonymous)
Peer pressure 8 27.59%
Depression 16 55.17%
Stress 12 41.38%
Anger 5 17.24%
Family/friend troubles 4 13.79%
Experimentation in general 14 48.28%
Other (type in reason below if you are willing to share) 9 31.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Average Joe

Name: Adalia Rose

Question Why did you start using substances? - October 17th 2014, 01:34 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I labelled this as triggering in case anyone wanted to share their stories of why they started using, how they got better, or where they are in the entire process of getting clean.

Personally, I started using as both a social thing and an emotional thing. I was really upset one night and I was hanging out with my brother's friends when someone offered me pot. I couldn't say no just when I got them to stop looking at me as a child. I enjoyed the escape it provided and ventured deeper in time. It wasn't like pot made me seek other things out, though. My brother's friends slowly introduced me to other highs.

I made the choice to get clean because I didn't want to spend my life going in and out of jail and never being able to raise my own children. My brother lives that type of life and is currently trying to better his life for his daughter. It's a struggle but it's worth it in the end. The feeling of being able to be successful, go to college, get a well-paying job, have a life partner, and raise my own family is wonderful. I'm still at the college point in that outlook, but it'll be worth it. I'm dating someone, but I also understand that it's too soon to know if it'll last for the rest of my life.

Feel free to share your own stories in the comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0795e40f7e0ef98e916af3be207249e9.jpg (12.0 KB, 0 views)

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Why did you start using substances? - October 18th 2014, 05:32 PM

The first few times I was actually forcefully druged. After that I have smoked a little pot here and there to help basically get my mind in a different place so I didn't have to deal with all the stress and emotional pain and everything else.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Why did you start using substances? - October 18th 2014, 07:30 PM

Personally, I did it as at school I was a prefect, my parents put so much pressure on me and saw me as "a good child" and were so hard on me that I wanted to be myself and so I turned to all sorts of drugs and got with a group of friends and I only do some now, but when I feel really depressed, not being me helps.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Why did you start using substances? - October 18th 2014, 08:08 PM

I've always been a little curious about drugs but before I got to university I had no idea how to go about getting them and I didn't want to get them off some random dude where I had no idea what was in them.

At university my boyfriend knew someone who could get good weed so I tried to and I liked it. I've not really used many other drugs except the odd few times I got high on codeine. If there wasn't the whole addiction problem with other kinds of drugs (heroin/cocaine) then I'd probably consider trying them once to see what it's like just out of curiosity.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Why did you start using substances? - October 22nd 2014, 05:38 AM

My current boyfriend talked about drugs before we started dating and I was intrigued. After we got together I tried a lot of different kinds of drugs. Then I got hooked on just one of them and fell into a pretty bad addiction that has spanned over a year now due to dependence because of depression and stress.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Why did you start using substances? - October 22nd 2014, 06:06 AM

I started drinking when I was around 14 and there was always a rather large selection in the cupboard and my parents didn't notice anything was ever missing. I smoked pot, and I also abused pills (painkillers and sleeping pills) because it helped me to cope with what I was feeling, and made me numb or to pass out. That said, I'm not a very big on getting intoxicated at parties because I need to be in control of myself. (I'll have a drink or two for the buzz but not enough to lose control of myself and still be aware of myself and my surroundings) I mostly did it when I was alone and feeling depressed. If I'm really struggling, or I need to escape from certain things I will fall back into old habits but I'm trying to work on healthier coping methods. I never tried any other the harder stuff though, mainly because I was too scared to end like the pictures I saw in school and I was worried about addiction. However, what I was using helped me feel a certain way and helped me numb myself so there was never a need to try cocaine/ecstasy/heroine...etc.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why did you start using substances? - October 22nd 2014, 01:29 PM

When i started smoking cigarettes and marijuana it was because i was really depressed, had incredibly bad anxiety, had just gone through a bad break up with a controlling and manipulative ex boyfriend, i was about to get kicked out of school for bad grades, and i was spending a lot of time with users.

it was a bad idea. i must admit. it's not that i judge people who like smoking weed; if you have the occasional saturday, say once or twice a month where you just want to chill out, so what. but for me it was a bad choice because i wasn't doing it because i thought it was cool or because i was out snowboarding and just wanted to chill out in the evening. additionally, i have never been the type to get my jollies out of being inebriated. i would much rather do anything but be high. i loath being inebriated (whether it is a stimulant or depressant drug or alcohol, i just don't want to be in this state). i would rather go for a run, read a good book, go bowling, watch movies, go to the gym, crochet, study, cook, go to the mall etc. and the problem with marijuana is that you can't really have "just 1" like you can with alcohol. i can have just 1 glass of wine with very little affect on my system but i will feel a distinct buzz, if not be outright stoned, by having 1 hit of marijuana, and i know my tolerance would go up if i used it enough, but that doesn't mean that it's potency is any less significant when, on a non user the [Edited by Maleia] additionally, i never really liked the affect weed had on me, but i could ignore my problems for a while which was a great thing until i started having uncontrollable panic attacks while stoned and would feel like i was dying because i couldn't calm down.

so all in all, i think that if i had been in a better place in my life i never would have used it because it's not my style at all.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by MsNobleEleanor; October 23rd 2014 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Please do not include explicit descriptions (ratio to ratio) of substance use. This violates CoC.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
undeleted1 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: No one

Re: Why did you start using substances? - October 23rd 2014, 06:12 PM

I started drinking alcohol when I couldn't stand my depression and the stress anymore.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why did you start using substances? - October 27th 2014, 12:47 AM

I started drinking and smoking marijuana when I was about 13. I also started self harming when I was 11 which I think was the worst. I started falling into depression really badly. I also started hearing voices and seeing things around the same time. The addictions kind of just numbed everything and made it bearable. It took me 7 years to stop self harming and 3 years to stop drinking/smoking. I think the biggest thing was my mom and realising that it just wasn't really helping. It was hard, but definitely worth stopping.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Why did you start using substances? - October 27th 2014, 01:20 AM

I started drinking when I was fifteen because I was in a really horrible relationship which caused my depression to spiral out of control. I stopped when I was around nineteen. I haven't relapsed in a long time and I'm now 21; I am now able to drink one or two drinks without feeling the need to drink more. I say that I'm recovered, but I'm also really careful about drinking.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kav

Re: Why did you start using substances? - November 4th 2014, 02:58 PM

I started smoking cigarettes and drinking when I was around 16. I started smoking marijuana almost a year later. My best friend knew a place where he could get good marijuana. Easy access and addicted friends made me an addict. I was hopelessly addicted but I have been clean for 6 months now.
I do drink and smokes cigarettes occasionally, but now more marijuana. i have tried a whole lot of other stuff once, but I haven't get addicted to any, thankfully!
So, I guess you can call it curiosity and a social thing which ended as an emotional need for a while.

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Why did you start using substances? - November 4th 2014, 04:21 PM

I smoke weed. I don't do it because I'm "pressured" into it or whatever. I do it because I enjoy it. I'm not addicted to it by any means, I've gone months upon months without smoking it and I can take it or leave it. I tried it because I wanted to see what it was like, simple.

It helps relieve my anxiety and helps me sleep (I have insomnia and G.A.D.) I know it can make some people's anxiety worse and I wouldn't recommend them to smoke it but everyone is different and it seems to help mine.

I think it has really bad stigma attached to it when in fact it should be used to help alleviate pain (especially people with M.S.) This video is quite informative and interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwYGFt5q90

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Matt_Davis Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Matthew

Re: Why did you start using substances? - November 4th 2014, 04:57 PM

I smoked once but never really liked it. I drink in parties and with friends not a big deal . just for fun

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Average Joe

Name: Adalia Rose

Re: Why did you start using substances? - November 4th 2014, 05:48 PM

I really appreciate everyone's responses to this. I'm glad more people have responded since the last time I was online.

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: -

Re: Why did you start using substances? - November 4th 2014, 05:53 PM

The only substance I really "use" on a regular basis is an alcohol, primarily in the form of beer. I never get any close to getting drunk, I simply enjoy the act of drinking, and to some degree, taste of the beer (not all of em though, I'm kinda picky). It helps me relax.

I also once did tobacco, purely out of curiosity cause one of my mates offered it to me. It had little to no effect on me though, so I never touched it again.

Who dares - wins.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Giorxio Offline
Hanging in there.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Giorgio

Re: Why did you start using substances? - November 17th 2014, 11:33 AM

I've been drinking and smoking pot since I was 14. It wasn't because I was going through a rough time or anything, simply because I wanted to try it and I liked it. I've gone half a year without pot before and I could handle it, but I choose to keep using it as a way to relax after work (and just to have a good time). Being from Amsterdam it was only a matter of time before I got introduced to it.

I think many people view marijuana as a bad thing, but it isn't always the case. It helps so many people relieve themselves from pain or stress, so it definitely can be used in a good way.

Karma has no menu, you get served what you deserve
  Send a message via Skype™ to Giorxio 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Beanz10 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tom

Re: Why did you start using substances? - November 18th 2014, 11:44 PM

I started smoking just out of curiosity to begin with and gradually began to smoke more because my friends were. Then as is quite common for people in the Midlands (I'm told), I had a joint and have never (fortunately!) had an addiction it's always been a social thing over a need thing. Whilst I don't personally believe weed is a 'gateway' drug I think it makes you more easily convinceable (even to yourself) and have since tried other stuff but never done anything else more than once, thankfully!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Jocasta Offline
Priestess of Cegolaich
Not a n00b

Name: Allie

Re: Why did you start using substances? - November 27th 2014, 01:16 AM

I was raised in a "shooting gallery" so i always thought it was normal growing up. I used to cut heroin for my dad/father figures without a mask so i had to start snorting it to not get sick after a while, then it was off the the races.

How can man die better? Than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his father, in the temple of his gods.

"I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had."

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Kristina

Re: Why did you start using substances? - November 29th 2014, 03:00 PM

Well I was abused as a child at the age 12 and that went on for a year and then I was abused by a neighbor at the age of 14 and thats when the drugs came into play as I got them from him. Like pain pills. Very powerful stuff and I even stole pills from him.

Yeah I guess you can say the pills made me a bad kid.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
safetycatch Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Why did you start using substances? - December 1st 2014, 09:29 PM

I was always brought up around drugs during my childhood and I was curious and it was easy to get hold of. When I got addicted to prescription painkillers it was because I wanted to escape from my own mind and the darkness that depression brought.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Why did you start using substances? - December 3rd 2014, 02:03 AM

I guess my answer, for drinking, has to be "all of the above." I started drinking at 17 because I was lonely and depressed, wanted an escape from my boring school-centered lifestyle, and thought it was the "cool thing to do." Alcohol is one of those insidious drugs that eases the pain of depression in the moment, but only worsens it over time. An ironic aspect of my drinking was that I drank in part to "fit in" with popular kids, but in so doing only managed to distance myself from people that were worth building relationships with. Eight years later I still drink more nights than not, but I haven't been drunk in several months and am generally a lot more responsible about drugs and alcohol.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Closed Thread