TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gemma =] Offline
Formerly camisado
Not a n00b

Name: Gemma

Diazepam - May 14th 2009, 01:43 AM

What can Diazepam do if it's not been prescribed to you and you don't actually need it?

Have some composure, where is your posture?
x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Diazepam - May 14th 2009, 06:51 AM

Diazepam is used to treat seizures, anxiety, and withdrawal from alcohol, among other things. It is an addictive medication and withdrawal symptoms can be similar to those of withdrawal from alcohol. Misuse or abuse of diazepam can be fatal in the case of overdose/mixing substances, and overdosing on diazepam is considered a medical emergency. Diazepam can interact poorly with a LOT of drugs, including caffeine and tobacco, and even grapefruit juicce--you may want to spend some time researching this.

Jumping to conclusions, here, I'm assuming you or someone you know is considering using diazepam recreationally. (If not, feel free to ignore the rest of this post. ) You should avoid misuse of diazepam and all medications, even prescription drugs prescribed to you. Medication should be prescribed and monitored under the direct care of a medical professional.

However, I realize you (or whoever) may choose to misuse drugs regardless of what I have to say. If that is the case, be as smart as possible about it. Research, take ONLY the recommended dose, stay in your home or in a safe environment, and remain in the presence of people you trust. Your inhibitions will likely be lowered and your motor functions impaired, so being in a unfamiliar environment with strangers who do not care for your well-being would NOT be worth it. It's probably not worth it, anyways, Gemma.

You can read more about diazepam on the Mayo Clinic's website.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Diazepam - May 15th 2009, 07:38 PM

Side effects of Diazepam include:

Quote:
Serious Side Effects:
confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior;
unusual risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions, no fear of danger;
depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
hyperactivity, anxiety, agitation, hostility;
double vision, hallucinations;
weak or shallow breathing;
feeling like you might pass out;
muscle twitching, tremor;
fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
urinating less than usual or not at all.
Quote:
Less Serious Side Effects:
drowsiness, tired feeling;
dizziness, spinning sensation;
blurred vision;
sleep problems (insomnia), nightmares;
muscle weakness, lack of balance or coordination;
slurred speech;
nausea, vomiting, constipation;
headache, memory problems;
drooling or dry mouth;
skin rash; or
loss of interest in sex
Taking more medication than recommended or using Diazepam recreationally increases the severity of many of the symptoms. You should never take medication that is not prescribed to you or abuse any medication that is prescribed to you. Popping pills can have dangerous and even fatal consequences. You should never take a combination of prescription pills or over the counter medications together without first consulting your doctor or a pharmacist. You should particularly avoid taking Diazepam with any other depressant medications ('downers') like allergy medications, narcotic pain medications, sleeping pills, muscle relaxants, and anti depressants. Avoid drinking alcohol after taking Diazepam because this can lead to further impairment. Additionally, you should not drive or perform any other dangerous tasks while on Diazepam because it impairs your motor skills. If you are planning to take this medication recreationally please reconsider your choice. Not only is abusing perception pills illegal but it is also extremely dangerous and just not worth it. Diazepam is an addictive medication and no one is immune to addiction. Please safe yourself the heartache and find a healthier way to relax. If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to PM me anytime. Take care and make smart choices.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

Closed Thread