TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Drinking - April 20th 2016, 05:42 PM

I'm drinking pretty much every night now. It's the only way to make me feel even slightly ok. I know it's bad but I feel so awful all of the time I don't feel like I have any other choice. I'm not even sure why I'm posting this, I guess because I feel desperate and I don't know what to do. I don't know how to cope.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Drinking - April 20th 2016, 08:18 PM

Hello.

I can really relate it this because I'm an alcoholic. I used to wake up and drink from the start of the day until I passed out in the afternoon. It got so bad I was hospitalised twice for detox and had to withdraw from it which was horrible and even caused me to have, they think, fits.

I know it seems like it takes it all away but it doesn't because you have to keep going back to it. And it's not going to be worth it in the long run. You don't want to become addicted, end up in hospital and on detox and going through withdraws and you don't want to damage your liver either. I understand that you're using it as a coping technique but you are worth so much more and need to find other healthy coping techniques.

Have you thought about going to an AA meeting if you feel you're at that point. I go to my local one and it honestly helps me so much. I can go there and talk about anything and everything without being judged or anything. Having that support can really help and so can bring around people who are in or have been in a similar situation to you and therefore can relate to you.

If you ever want to talk or anything, I'm always here.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Drinking - April 21st 2016, 02:21 PM

Thanks for replying.

I don't think I'm anywhere near bad enough to go to an AA meeting. But I am definitely getting worse because I used to only drink when I was with friends, and even then that was rare.

Honestly I don't care about my liver, I mean I'm suicidal and taking overdoses regularly as well so yeah.

I just don't know where to go from here.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Drinking - April 21st 2016, 02:36 PM

You don't have to thank me for replying. I just want you to know I'm here for you

There's no bad enough or what not to go to an AA meeting. It might be worth trying to go to one and talking and see how you get on. You're drinking daily which sounds like it's becoming quite obsessive. The sooner you start to nip it in the bud, the better. Also where I live there is a service called DART. They help people with drug and alcohol problems and I've been with them and they were great. Do you have anything like that near you? Or even just speaking to your doctor and asking for their advice. I know there's a medication that IF you take it as you should, every time you drink, you will be honestly, seriously sick. It's meant to put you of drinking but you have to be taking it I guess.

And I think a part of you does care which is why you've come here for help. If you didn't care you wouldn't bother but you did bother and that shows a lot. Like I said I'm always here if you need anything, at all.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Drinking - April 28th 2016, 05:57 PM

You can try things like AA- but it's not for everybody. AA and other 12 step programs aren't based on scientific principles, but I guess the social support and strong commitment to sobriety that they emphasize can help. It also may not be the best course right now- as you may not yet be a true alcoholic. You may be able to control your drinking in the future. People usually lose that ability after years of heavy abuse. You don't want to become an alcoholic- because that would ruin social drinking forever. Maybe you could try something like therapy to help identify and deal with the triggers that make you want to drink? Usually there is an underlying mental health issue that causes people to abuse alcohol or become alcoholics. So it can help to get therapy anyways.

The pill Jessie was talking about is called Antabuse, and it works by changing the way alcohol is metabolized in the body so that when you drink , you get really sick from the high levels of acetylaldehyde produced in your body. This could work if you have a strong commitment to not drinking on it- because it can be dangerous to mix alcohol with it.

Another medical treatment that has strong evidence in support of it- but less awareness among doctors- is called the Sinclair method. This involves another drug called naltrexone. Naltrexone works by blocking endorphin receptors in the brain. It blocks the pleasurable effects of alcohol. You are actually encouraged to drink while taking naltrexone, so that the association of alcohol with pleasure can be "unlearned". If you drink enough times without feeling any pleasure from it, it becomes boring and you stop drinking as much. You don't get sick when you drink on it- it just takes the fun out of it. Even heavy long term alcoholics have slowly reduced their drinking to almost nothing- without even trying- by taking naltrexone everytime they drink. They just slowly lost interest in it.

But I don't think that you are at the point where you would need pills to make you stop. I used to have a problem with drinking and I think the best thing to do is to not drink at all for at least a month- maybe a few months. That way , you get out of the habit of drinking. If you have been binge drinking every night for the past few months, it is going to be hard to just cut back. Saying to yourself " I won't drink (at least by myself) for the next 30 days" is a stronger commitment than just "I will cut back". You need a strong commitment to break any habit- otherwise you will just end up convincing yourself to do what you want to do. After a month or two without any alcohol, you may try to drink in moderation and see if you can handle that. At that point, if you aren't an alcoholic, it will be easier to control than it is now-- but to keep that going you have to have a commitment that you won't go back to problem drinking. You may be able to see if you are actually an alcoholic during the time you are not drinking- if you are counting down the days thinking "I am going to get completely smashed the second the 30 days are up" then that signifies a bigger problem that you may need to get help for.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; April 28th 2016 at 06:25 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Samuel Offline
Sam
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Re: Drinking - April 29th 2016, 12:04 AM

I'm not old enough to drink, I have, I liked it, and I'll probably do it again. But I also haven't had it cause a problem in my life, yet. I've seen it happen, in my family, and its been pretty bad. Uncontrollable, and if you want to avoid that is suggest stopping while you still can.

You may not care now, but you might get married some day, and have a really neat kid like me for a son, who might watch you practically lot drink yourself to death.....

Sorry if that's a bit vivid, but it's vivid I my mind....

Closed Thread