TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Arrow Survivors Of Addicted Parents: "My Story" - May 21st 2009, 11:39 PM

I think It's time for me to tell you all a little about my past, and I'm sure there are many of you that have had the same kind of childhood like I did. If you are the survivor of a drug addicted parent, post your story below. My story is below, you don't have to read it, but If you want to, I'd appreciate it.

My mother and father were never married, my mother started using drugs at an early age, and I'm pretty sure my father has always had some kind of drug abuse in his background. The only difference between the two really was that I could tell when my mom was strung out, but my dad hid it well. My mother sold drugs and her body, and my father was always gone. When I was very young, we had a house fire, that I started. I burnt down the house. I think it was an accident, but I think It was because I was hungry and my dad didn't want to cook something for me. Then we moved to either my uncles or the trailer park.

At the trailer park, I learned the absolute joys of living in a hellhole. I remember times when I was so hungry, and my mom had strange men and women come into our house. I knew what sex was, and I knew what drug deal and prostitution were. My only job was to make sure that no one stole anything. I never had home cooked meals, only the ones that my grandma dropped off, which were usually delicious. I've grown up on fast food, and till this day, I eat it, and It's hard to stop. My grandmother saved my life. She bought me clothes for school, helped pay for a lot of things. Sure, she can be crabby, but she was always there.

Eventually, we got evicted or something from the trailer park. I had to move in with my aunt. It was nice, because I'd never lived in a nice house before. It's really not that nice, but back then, It was. I got to school, things were good. Then my mom found a place a few miles away... Sadly, I didn't know how much pain It would bring me in the future.

The drug abuse continued, the neglect continued, along with the struggle. Strange enough, through these days, I was never really depressed. It was hard, but I had become resilient to my surroundings, as I am to this day to a great extent. We lived there for years, and I grew older. The only hope that I ever wanted, was to turn 18, and leave. I hated where I lived, I was angry, but I was street smart, and intelligent. Wise beyond my years.

Then, we got evicted again, and moved to a tent, in my grandmothers backyard. It wasn't great, but I made it. Things were not good, but I was strong still. Then... My mom got caught. They found the drugs and took my sisters and I to the receiving home. I was there for a short time, then went to foster care with my grandmother. Things were actually pretty good. I went to counseling. I never wanted to move in with my mother, because part of me hated her because of what she had put me through. She found a way to get me to move back, and that was my definition of love, at the age of 13 or so. She made me go to a bible camp that I didn't want to go to, and I got changed by God. I've never really been the same, and that week was one of the best weeks of my life. After camp, we moved to a wonderful duplex, It was great, I was happy.. Then we moved again, because the people wanted to sell it.

Back to the apartment... Hell raged, I learned who I was, how the world worked. My mother got clean, my sisters and I became everything that we are today, through everything that we never wanted to happen to us.

I'm now 18 years old, and on the night of my 18th birthday, I moved out. I'm looking forward to life, and I thank God, that I made it through. I thank him for the moments that I don't have to go back.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Survivors Of Addicted Parents: "My Story" - May 22nd 2009, 12:58 PM

Hey Holly

That's an incredible survival story, and I really appreciate being able to read it. Forgive me, as I won't be posting my own story here, just because it's not something I'd like to do.

I do however, think this can be a huge inspiration to those who are still struggling with similar situations to yours. Thank you very much for sharing this!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Survivors Of Addicted Parents: "My Story" - May 24th 2009, 04:21 AM

That's amazing, we actually do have a similar type story in ways. I'm glad I can relate to you. (:
I will post my story as I find it inspiring to myself because it showed that things can really be horrible and get better. I am not embaressed to post it because it just made me stronger.
Oh geez how to start this?

My mother and father both abused prescription drugs my whole life, even when my mother was pregnant with me. I have two brothers, they were both very abusive in every way(sexual, physical, emotional, etc.).They both drank most of the time and so did my parents, but my brothers never abused drugs. I was, this is hard to say, often raped by my fathers friends and a couple of my brothers' friends. I was always hungry and was never given new clothes or food. When I was 8 I started to cut, but I accidentally stumbled upon it when I was climbing a fence into my yard to get into my house after being locked out by my mother, in turn I cut my arm horribly. The day I turned 9 I remember so vividly, I tried to run away after getting nothing that day not even food from my parents. It must have been two in the morning and I was kidnapped by a drunk guy(you can imagine what he did right?). Then a few days later I almost died from lack of food and water, the guy didn't know what to do, so he left me in someones backyard. Luckily he left me in a yard to a house where someone lived and thank god they found me. I was in the hospital for atleast a few months. When I finally was released I didnt want to leave and I told them that, so I had to explain why. That day my brothers and parents were arrested, along with the guy that kidnapped/raped me. My parents looked really bad to the judge, especially since they never made a missing child report to the police. For the next two years I was put in a foster home. After that my grandmother came and took custody of me, after she fought to get me. Life was amazing at the time, as it was summer and school hadn't started yet. When I was in grade three the school I was going to closed, so I was enrolled into a catholic school, more like forced to go there. When I was there for grade four and five it was okay I had maybe three friends, but when I entered grade 6 there it was hell and people started to show their true colors. I was a social reject and attempted suicide atleast six times that I remember. Thankfully my grandmother always found me. After the sixth time she put me in therapy for that and cutting, which I still did. My grandmother was young and she babysat for a living, which wasn't that bad since I loved kids. When I was eleven after grade six I begged her to put me into public school, she finally caved after I don't know how many times I asked. I started public school for the first time in grade seven when I was twelve, so that meant regular clothes. I always felt guilty taking money from people but when it was something I knew I needed I was kind of okay with it. She had to buy me alot of clothes, since I would'nt be wearing just a uniform to school anymore. It felt so good to be able to have things that were mine and only mine for once. I still felt bad, but I knew I needed them. When I finally started school there were so many kids there and I liked it since in catholic school there was only one class for each grade with only about twenty kids in each class. I liked the schedual too, there was two specials a day and it had A days and B days. I also liked having gym more than once a week. Well my life right now has its ups and downs but nothing compared to before I started public school two years ago. I still live with my grandmother, she is not my hero but instead my saviour. I still go to therapy and I am still trying to quit cutting. I'm currently in grade eight and looking forward to graduating and highschool next year. I'm sorry to catholics or very religious people out there, but god helped me through none of this. This just goes to show you though that no matter how horrible and bad you have it, things will get better for you. Also, please don't start to cut even on accident don't keep cutting because even though you think you can control it, you will lose control and although it's not impossible to stop, it's extremely hard and I'm still trying to stop after six years.

This is only a summary of my life. I will be writing a blog thingy on it soon because I'm not sure I just liketo write about everything. (:

Last edited by Usernames are hard; May 26th 2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: I added something :D

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Survivors Of Addicted Parents: "My Story" - May 24th 2009, 04:55 AM

Wow... I'm going to write more later, because the only thing I can say right now is wow.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Survivors Of Addicted Parents: "My Story" - May 26th 2009, 04:36 AM

I was never affected by my mothers addictions. I post this on behalf of my friend Morgan. She is currently living alcohol, sex and abuse free. She no longer takes herself down. Attempting to quit weed is her next and final goal. Her mother often abused drugs for years across the street from me. This lasted for 7 years (to present). During the time, Morgan was given drugs and exposed to that and worse. (causing her to be a natural addict). Over the on going years she was victim to her mothers boyfriend and his sexual advances. With support only (she was too stubborn for anymore help) she is now basically sober. Choosing not to report her mother or boyfriend because she believes she came out above them anyway.

I just needed to add this for her because of her health. It needs to at least be recognized with or without her knowledge, how great she is and her accomplishments. No mater what the future holds for your health, I love you and know you're strong by witnessing.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread