TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Weed and paranoia? - November 11th 2009, 05:00 PM

I'm just wondering your experiences with weed, and paranoia? Or any bad experiences, really.

Last year, I smoked quite a lot of pot within about 6 months. While at first it was great, it slowly ended up me just becoming a paranoid mess, hearing and seeing horrible things. Because of that, I stopped.
I've done it about 5 times this year - each time with the same experience, so I've avoided it. It wasn't that amazing anyway.

However, I became obsessively paranoid, and if anything still am. I used to firmly believe that cameras were placed around my house, and I would go out of my way to find them. I didn't do work at school because I thought the teachers were plotting against me.
While I don't feel this way anymore, I've become insanely insecure, and when I feel very insecure sometimes I get back into that paranoid state.

I know paranoia and weed are related.
I'm just wondering anyone else's experiences, or input?

Thankyou for reading. ♥

(#2 (permalink)) Old
twk. Offline
Serves Servants
Not a n00b

Name: Šenial

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 12th 2009, 01:59 AM

Hi there, (:

Although weed has not been conclusively linked to issues such as paranoia, it has been noted that excessive use of cannabis often may trigger such things in people who are vulnerable to mental health problems, like schizophrenia/paranoia. Now i'm not saying that's what has happened or whatever, but keep that in mind.

Obviously it would depend on how often / how much you were using.

Have the episodes of paranoia decreased in intensity? Perhaps if using cannabis still gives you these sort of reactions you should consider not smoking anymore, or smoking small amounts if you must.

it's the beauty of confession

eviL.evoL

Send a message via MSN to twk. Send a message via Skype™ to twk. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 12th 2009, 07:23 PM

Hey! Thanks for your reply (:

I don't smoke anymore, except the odd one now and again if I think I'm not going to be paranoid. Although I've only had pot about 5 times this year, and spread over many months, each episode is just as bad, if not worse.

It just interests me because since last year, although I'm not as paranoid as I was, my self-confidence and insecurity has gone down incredibly and became a huge problem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 13th 2009, 02:29 AM

I get paranoid when I smoke weed sometimes. My friends I smoke around all know how to talk me down in like, two minutes though and ground me a bit.

I experienced paranoia before I started smoking weed regularly.
Honestly, you should talk to a doctor or something and see if they have some ideas to help you out. Being paranoid is the worst feeling in the world. Not worth trying to suffer through alone.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 13th 2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
I get paranoid when I smoke weed sometimes. My friends I smoke around all know how to talk me down in like, two minutes though and ground me a bit.

I experienced paranoia before I started smoking weed regularly.
Honestly, you should talk to a doctor or something and see if they have some ideas to help you out. Being paranoid is the worst feeling in the world. Not worth trying to suffer through alone.
I'm not sure how good talking to a doctor would be because you'd essentially be admitting to be doing an illegal substance and the doctor may or may not call the authorities. Then again, a doctor may actually give you advice on this and not call the authorities.

I haven't tried pot before so I cannot give any first-hand information, however, I can say that frequent use of cannabis can be a risk factor for schizophrenia. It's not the highest risk factor, in fact out of a scale of 10 (10 being the greatest risk factor), frequent cannabis use is about a 2/10. If you're taking cannabis with other drugs, such as ketamine, then your risk goes up.

What may be possibly happening is that the paranoid state you're in while you're doing the weed may reminise afterward. In other words, you recall what the paranoid state was and if it was about cameras or people plotting against you, it's possible that you're simply remembering that and exhibiting that after your high is over. There would be a more neurochemical explanation for this but I won't bore you with the details.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 13th 2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
I'm not sure how good talking to a doctor would be because you'd essentially be admitting to be doing an illegal substance and the doctor may or may not call the authorities. Then again, a doctor may actually give you advice on this and not call the authorities.
I've always spoken to teachers/doctors/therapists about this sort of thing? Confidentiality comes into play to protect you usually? And the doctor can help figure out if it's a psychological issue.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 14th 2009, 12:16 AM

I agree that talking to a doctor is best--the worst thing that could happen is they might lecture you about your habits! I do know that like was mentioned, if someone is vulnerable to anxiety, fear, etc. ahead of time, smoking can really exacerbate that. I'm taking a class now about drugs and behavior so we learned all about that, and it's physically true, that if you are vulnerable to something, it can make it worse if you have drugs in your system. It's also physically true that if you are nervous you will be paranoid (or whatever else) then you will be. A lot of it is simply mind games.

However, it sounds like you're talking about being paranoid and scared when you're NOT smoking. If this is something you're experiencing in a sober state, it's especially important to talk with a doctor, because it could be indicative of other things (like anxiety, OCD, etc.) that you would want to get clarified so you can get back on track and not have to be afraid all of the time

Best of luck, let me know if you want to talk!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Ollie- Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ollie

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 15th 2009, 04:06 PM

meh..only paranoia i got was thinking i was acting to stoned, which i wasnt. i hope you dont smoke anymore coz it sounds like its messed ya up.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 16th 2009, 07:11 PM

Hey everyone! Thankyou for the many replies. I've tried to answer as many questions as I can xD

I don't smoke anymore - the paranoia got too intense, so I stopped.
I'm not as paranoid as I used to be.. even when I wasn't high, I genuinely thought people were after me and would go out of my way to avoid that.
I'm not like that now, though. I've just lost most of my self-confidence, although still often think people are focused on me for whatever reason, I'm in more control of it.

I was very paranoid as a child, and before smoking weed, so I suppose the weed has opened up new anxieties for me.

However, I am seeing my doctor on Friday about other reasons, so I'm going to talk to them then, and see where it leads I agree, I think the worst they'll do is give a little lecture about drugs. As I don't do them anymore, it shouldn't be so much of a problem anyway.
My paranoia is a problem in my sober state though.. it's made me seriously anxious and made things difficult.

Thankyou all again for your input ♥ I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Alexx; November 16th 2009 at 07:25 PM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
twk. Offline
Serves Servants
Not a n00b

Name: Šenial

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 16th 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonists View Post
Hey everyone! Thankyou for the many replies. I've tried to answer as many questions as I can xD

I don't smoke anymore - the paranoia got too intense, so I stopped.
I'm not as paranoid as I used to be.. even when I wasn't high, I genuinely thought people were after me and would go out of my way to avoid that.
I'm not like that now, though. I've just lost most of my self-confidence, although still often think people are focused on me for whatever reason, I'm in more control of it.

I was very paranoid as a child, and before smoking weed, so I suppose the weed has opened up new anxieties for me.

However, I am seeing my doctor on Friday about other reasons, so I'm going to talk to them then, and see where it leads I agree, I think the worst they'll do is give a little lecture about drugs. As I don't do them anymore, it shouldn't be so much of a problem anyway.
My paranoia is a problem in my sober state though.. it's made me seriously anxious and made things difficult.

Thankyou all again for your input ♥ I greatly appreciate it.
Keep us updated, I'm pretty interested to hear how the doctor answers it lol.

If you feel comfortable telling us, that is.

it's the beauty of confession

eviL.evoL

Send a message via MSN to twk. Send a message via Skype™ to twk. 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 17th 2009, 07:30 PM

Haha, of course It'll be an interesting conversation I imagine xD

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 17th 2009, 10:28 PM

the paranoia could also be unrelated to the pot if that is true. But in the UK, you aren't going to get in legal trouble for admitting it, its illegal to have it on your possession, that's all. Hence they help people with hard drug problems.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 20th 2009, 04:44 PM

Thanks for your reply

I spoke to my doctor today about it. He didn't lecture me at all - actually found it quite interesting, and could tell by the other stuff I told him (about anxiety & things) that weed definitely wasn't going to be a drug that would.. 'benefit' me, so to speak.

He said that whilst weed does effect you - unless you really do it heavily for many years, the effects afterwards don't actually last that long.
So whilst I'm blaming my paranoia and insecurities on the weed, the weed isn't still having that effect on me and it's something I myself need to work through.

I don't think I've explained well, and kinda went off the point, but still. :P

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 20th 2009, 04:45 PM

Also, Tegan, I love your avatar xD

(#15 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Weed and paranoia? - November 20th 2009, 09:11 PM

Seeing as this seems to be solved, I'll go ahead and close this thread. I'm glad you did get the answer you were looking for to this question and I do hope you work on what you need to, so you can feel better. You deserve it muchly. If anyone has any objections, feel free to PM me. Take care.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread