TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Question Curious....? - April 12th 2010, 08:00 AM

Okay, well the word, "Pot" has been running across my mind, and I'm so confused if it is good for you or not. Some facts say it's increases brain cells and no one has ever died from it and it isn't an addictive substance. I'm so curious if I should or not because right now my brain wants to. I've been researching and some people say it's good for you and some people say it's bad for you. And, also this makes my thoughts feel like peer pressure because I know these guys who smoke pot in my grade. Can anyone tell me if it's good for you or bad because right now I'm confused?

"I'm not a piece of cake for you to just discard
While you walk away with the frosting of my heart
So I'm taking back what's mine, you'll miss
The slice of heaven that I gave to you last night
." - "Cake" by Melanie Martinez

Send a message via Skype™ to Fanatic 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DanielR Offline
Survived the Apocalypse of '57
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Daniel

Re: Curious....? - April 12th 2010, 08:54 AM

There is nothing wrong with experimenting. I'm sure the Teenhelp admins will tell you that they don't condone drug use, but from my own point of view: Pot is harmless.

I'm not a regular smoker, mostly because its not easy to get in my area (and I don't trust anyone in this town to supply proper pot) and I have no real desire to regularly use it.

One thing I will tell you, is to stay away from Hydroponic marijuana. This is what can really do damage to you, as its mixed with other chemicals. Stick to homegrown pot, as it's easier on your system, and frankly... it gives you the best high. Despite what people will tell you, home grown pot is not addictive (Hydro may have chemicals in it that make it addictive) unless mixed with tobbaco (not recommended).

Just remember to take it easy. It's a feel good kind of drug, but the come-down can throw you off. In my experience, I've 'greened out' for a day or three afterwards (I was drinking heavily too, so it might have added to it) and couldn't focus on anything. But, everything has its side effects.

I don't like to whizz in people's pockets, so I will always give you truth. I'm opinionated, so take what I say with a cup of salt.

Send a message via MSN to DanielR  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Curious....? - April 12th 2010, 05:14 PM

From what I've heard, smoking it on it's own is not nearly as harmful to your body as smoking it with tobacco (risk of nicotine addiction, tar from tobacco etc). However, there have been studies into the psychological effects of smoking pot. Some studies have suggested that if you have a predisposition to a particular mental illness (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder etc), smoking pot can increase the chances of you developing that particular illness. However it is always difficult to tell with these things. I wouldn't really say that smoking anything is gonna be good for you as putting smoke into your lungs does not seem like a good idea. I'm not sure about the legal status of pot in arizona, but here in the UK it's a class B drug. It hasn't been shown to have many bad physical effects from takig it by ingesting it or using a vapouriser, but I'm not an expert.

All I can say is that if you do decide to try it, do it with someone who you can trust and who will look after you and be careful with it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DanielR Offline
Survived the Apocalypse of '57
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Daniel

Re: Curious....? - April 13th 2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
if you do decide to try it, do it with someone who you can trust and who will look after you and be careful with it.
I second this motion.

I don't like to whizz in people's pockets, so I will always give you truth. I'm opinionated, so take what I say with a cup of salt.

Send a message via MSN to DanielR  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
tiffemgee90 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: tiffemgee

Re: Curious....? - April 13th 2010, 09:54 AM

I am currently taking a "Drugs, Brain, and Behavior" course in college and it teaches us about different drugs and substances and the affect they have on your body.
We recently discussed pot. So while I am not an expert, I do know some things about it.
It is actually one of the only abused drugs you cannot overdose on. That is because it does not affect your brain stem which controls basic bodily functions, specifically the ones you need to live. In that sense it seems like a pretty safe drug. BUT it affects you in other bad ways. Users have significantly decreased brain functions. They have trouble in attention, memory, problem solving, and other cognitive functions. One time use will have these effects and with chronic use, it severely impairs your brain activity. Users also experience activation in different parts of the brain when doing the same activity as non-users which means it takes a lot more effort to do simple tasks.
I am not against those who use or judge them but I do believe if it something you have not tried, it is better to know how it will decrease your functioning and not start.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
VitruvianDoc Offline
Medical Student
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Re: Curious....? - April 13th 2010, 04:37 PM

Uhg... so many misconceptions.

Smoking of any form is bad for you regaurdless of the materials. Smoking of any form causes agitation to the throat and lungs, fluid build up within the lungs, which makes you prone to infection. Mj is not as bad as tobacco or other alternatives, but long term use can cause chronic lung infections and in late life COPD. Proven fact there.

As to mj itself, you can overdose on it not to the point like heroin, or any of the opiates, but to the point where it knocks you out into a comatose state.

As for addiction, you can't develop a physical dependence on mj but you can develop a psychological dependence on it (always wanting the high and relief) which is why mj is called a gateway drug because it may lead you other drugs that produce a great high.

My recommendation is to steer clear. There is so much to lose with pot, but very little to gain. Until drug reform is carried out, you stand to lose a lot as even a minor in possession can come back to haunt you for college applications and such. However I do believe unmodified pot is a much healthier alternative to tobacco.

B.S. in Biology, Minor in Chemistry - May 2010
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - May 2014

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

(#7 (permalink)) Old
the.end Offline
whisper from your father
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Curious....? - April 24th 2010, 10:26 PM

just my two cents, you cannot overdose on marijuana because you'll either fall asleep before you could smoke enough or vomit and faint.

it is possible to poison humans with ANY substance, even water. there are no documented marijuana overdoses that have resulted in death.

i don't know if it's a case of good or bad. it's a mind altering substance and if you're mind isn't in a good stable place before you smoke, it probably will cause problems.

don't feel pressured by guys who smoke in your grade. if you smoke, do it for yourself because it's something you want to experience and like stated above, do it with someone you trust who's experienced.

honestly, the high of marijuana is hyped up. it does not cause you to be so inebriated that you cannot function. it's a very mellow high. first time smokers often report that they didn't feel anything the first or second time they smoked. the more you smoke, the more manageable the high becomes.

the only way people will know is if you act stoned, smell like weed, have red eyes, have weed on you, or admit it to them.

body spray, visine, never carry weed on you, never tell anyone.

there is always a risk though. take that into account. it is an illegal substance.

as for the hydro/homegrown argument, hydro is just a lower form. it's often 'bricked weed', or flattened out, dry marijuana that both tastes, smells, and looks gross. lower grade marijuana tends to bring out the worst side effects of the drug, the headache.. red eyes.. sick feeling.

homegrown is much more difficult to come by. it is also a cleaner high, more expensive and more intense.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Curious....? - April 24th 2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitruvianDoc View Post
Uhg... so many misconceptions.

Smoking of any form is bad for you regaurdless of the materials. Smoking of any form causes agitation to the throat and lungs, fluid build up within the lungs, which makes you prone to infection. Mj is not as bad as tobacco or other alternatives, but long term use can cause chronic lung infections and in late life COPD. Proven fact there.

As to mj itself, you can overdose on it not to the point like heroin, or any of the opiates, but to the point where it knocks you out into a comatose state.

As for addiction, you can't develop a physical dependence on mj but you can develop a psychological dependence on it (always wanting the high and relief) which is why mj is called a gateway drug because it may lead you other drugs that produce a great high.

My recommendation is to steer clear. There is so much to lose with pot, but very little to gain. Until drug reform is carried out, you stand to lose a lot as even a minor in possession can come back to haunt you for college applications and such. However I do believe unmodified pot is a much healthier alternative to tobacco.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: Curious....? - May 4th 2010, 04:57 PM

idk i agree with what everyone has said about the dangers or whatever but if i were to tell you what the most dangerous consiquences are and things to be careful of...

1. I think physically, that the worst harm your doing is to your lungs. Smoke in your lungs will always be harmful, so I would avoid it. Vaporizers are much better for you, but I am not condoning mind you.

2. If you are worried about your permanent record... if you are in a no tolorence, high stakes job, that will do random drug testing on you, i would not do it. Not worth it. If you need a clean record for some reason like for school, job, etc. then be very discrete and never walk around with stuff on you ever no joy rides in the car... etc.

3. Make sure you are in a good mental state, particularly if you are feeling anxiety before you partake of it, make sure you are mellow and not worried about anything. For instance I tend to get paranoid on it if I am around dogs... I've got bitten by 2 dogs on two consecutive days when i was smoking. I think it's cuz they could tell i was really afraid of them, idk... but you gotta make sure you are calm. If you get nervous easily I advise having something to do that will occupy you, like watch a feally funny movie because you tend to focus on the little details of everything you see and think about... things you usually dont pay attention to.

I havent lost any intelligence points since I've strated smoking it... and no long term affects that i notice other than the smoke in the lungs thing... i haven't felt the need to smoke it all the time... as a matter of fact i went like 10 months without smoking it and i didn't care lol...so i think it is harmless really, aside from these things that i've mentioned above ^^^

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
Closed Thread