TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Vodka - August 18th 2011, 03:13 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I set this as triggering because I'm unsure and wanted to be safe.

I'm planning on going over to my friend's house and trying some vodka. I am NOT looking to get buzzed or drunk, I just want to know what it tastes like. I have heard from one of my other friends' parents, and read in a book that you can't smell it on the breath. Is this true?

Also, I've never drank anything before and am scared that I'll get buzzed without meaning to. Is there any way I can calculate if I'll get buzzed or not so I don't drink that much? I'm only planning on having a tiny bit, but I don't want to have too much.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Vodka - August 18th 2011, 12:42 PM

No, there's no way to make sure you don't drink too much, because you've never drank before and you don't know what your tolerance is. If you're drinking it straight, I'm just gonna let you know that it's like rubbing alcohol. It burns.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Vodka - August 18th 2011, 01:20 PM

Yeah, I dont like my vodka straight because I think it's too strong. I like it mixed with things though like coke, iron bru, sprite or something. It only takes me 2 or 3 glasses to get buzzed so don't neck it!

PM // VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Vodka - August 19th 2011, 12:16 AM

Yeah, I was only planning on having a sip of it, anyway. I can't chance getting buzzed or having my parents find out, I'm just curious. A sip can't get me drunk, surely.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Vodka - August 20th 2011, 08:01 AM

Depends how much a sip is. One shot, if you're not well accustomed to drinking would get you giddy, almost certain.

Theres a lot more too it than percentages but just think a beer is about 4-6% alcohol, a bottle of wine around 12%? Vodka... Around 40%

Best thing to do if you want to not get drunk is eat a lot before hand and drink very slowly, you only get drunk when you drink alcohol quicker than your body can process it. An adult body processes, as a rough guide, 1 unit of alcohol per hour, one shot of vodka is 1 unit!

It certainly doesn't smell like a beer or a wine would on your breath, but the taste is horrible!!

I don't drink vodka anymore, half a bottle of it straight was enough for me to be completely passed out with no memory of about 12 hours of my life. I know people who can drink 2 bottles and be extremely drunk but not completely out of control.

In short and answer to your question, if you just want to try the taste, you need a tiny tiny amount to get an idea. Its strong, extremely strong. But don't be persuaded into drinking anymore if you don't want to get drunk because you will and that I promise you!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ella

Re: Vodka - August 20th 2011, 08:15 AM

If you drink it straight, it tastes like what permanent markers smell like :P well to me anyway. I would mix a tiny little bit with some coke or juice or something. If you've never drunk before even one sip could go to your head a little so be careful I think vodka smells really strong..I think i'm just extra sensitive to it though because I hate the stuff haha. If you're just having a little bit you'll be fine, just bring some perfume or something if it'll make you feel better!

"He who does not weep, does not see" - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables.

<3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Vodka - August 21st 2011, 04:36 PM

If you want to know what vodka itself tastes like, just take a really small sip (a small sip shouldn't get you buzzed). It's not that bad, to me, it doesn't really have a taste, just burns a bit. But you could also try vodka with coke.
And yes, you can smell alcohol in your breath. Just take some mints or chew some spearmint gum afterwards and you should be fine.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Misslostintears Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Daisy

Re: Vodka - August 23rd 2011, 05:34 AM

dont worry dezy-pie if just a sip makes you get drunk ill tie you up in a chair to keep you away from anything sharp. oh yes i am you awesome friend

Vodka is ok, i drink itg straight sometimes or sometimes with a other drink, i only drink about once 3 months or more

IN MY FIELD OF PAPER FLOWERS AND CANDY CLOUDS OF LULLIBIES, I LIE INSIDE MY SELF FOR HOURS, AND WATCH MY PURPLE SKY FLY OVER ME - IMAGINARY BY EVANESCENCE

to love someone is such a beautiful thing,
Keep it in your heart forever
And show it when you need to

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Vodka - August 23rd 2011, 05:37 AM

I swear to you I'm only drinking A sip.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Vodka - August 23rd 2011, 09:55 AM

Personally, I like straight vodka as long as it's of good quality.

Everyone's bodies metabolise alcohol differently. If you're not used to drinking, you won't have a high tolerance and could get drunk quite easily.
A sip should be fine.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
5a5 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Vodka - August 23rd 2011, 01:10 PM

dont even drink a sip trust me its addictive as hell, a sip wont do much but it can begin something crappy

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Vodka - August 30th 2011, 06:36 PM

There's pretty much no way a SIP can get you even buzzed.Since it's your first time drinking a shot might make you feel a bit of the effects but nothing extreme.

You wonder why I never smile anymore,but with broken homes come broken smiles.

Has the acidic rain burned a hole so deep,that we don't care what's beneath our feet?

I'm a freak and my best friend is a pirate-ninja-dinosaur,what a unique friendship!

My heart is so numb,that I can't feel it breaking

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Vodka - August 31st 2011, 12:27 AM

Vodka's probably my least favorite thing to drink, next to straight whiskey and cheap tequila. The good stuff (Goose, Ketel One, etc.) is palatable but the rest is just gross, smells like rubbing alcohol and tastes pretty awful IMO. I much prefer beer and wine.

You ought to be fine (not drunk, maybe a little buzzed) with two shots, anything more...it depends.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Closed Thread