TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sweetman16 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Marijuana Gateway. - January 12th 2012, 12:59 AM

okk so i smoke weed on a daily basis. I quit from time to time, when i feel like it's something i depend on in my life, i take it away so i won't get addicted. When i'm older i don't plan on smoking, but i just do it now because my town is legittt terrible. About 90% of guys at my school smoke weed. Not as much the girls, but almost everyone does. Surprisingly my bestfriend doesn't, him and maybe 10 other kids in my grade do not smoke. But anyways, it's hard to not do it because of so many people doing it, like i mean if i didn't smoke probably wouldn't be out as much. And yes you can say sure find new friends. It's hard when almost everyone at my highschool smokes weed. But yeah, been thinking alot this week about it, and the worse effects on it. Like i know it's not that bad on your body, but i'm kindof scared of going skitzo because of it, because i've read that it can lead to that. But even one of my teachers said this today to my class. "alot of you are going to like what i'm about to tell you. In california at a university they did studies , and it said that smoking 1-2 joints a week will not do anything to your lungs". (half my teachers smoke weed ). But anyways i'm wondering how many people go from weed to harder drugs. Don't pull out some bullshit studies about it because i could care less what they say. I mean from everyones experiences, how many of your friends that smoked weed around when they got into highschool, turned into bums that ended up addicted to some hardcore drugs. Excuse my language but i just want a person to respond to this from life experiences. I just want to know how much i'm risking my future with marijuana. I'm telling myself over and over again i won't go into harder drugs. I'm completely scared too. Espicially the way my father and brother ended up in them. and ohyea , right now i'm on another break. just thought i'd say haha.

Last edited by sweetman16; January 12th 2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: forgot something.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
sweetman16 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Re: Marijuana Gateway. - January 12th 2012, 01:23 AM

Sorry , i'm blind and didn't see the Substance use forum.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
dreamer1234 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Andrea

Re: Marijuana Gateway. - January 21st 2012, 05:21 AM

Well I'm a pot smoker too and I can say it has changed my life a lot. I used to be so against drugs and know it's like I don't care what anyone thinks. But as for the harder drugs part I haven't tried any I've been offered some, but then I think about how my mom ended up and I say no. I think you just have to keep telling yourself you don't want to end up like that, at times you may want to try other things, but just remind yourself what could happen if you do. Most of the harder drugs, if you try them just once, your hooked on them. I know coke is a one time thing and your hooked for life..next thing you know your jobless, homeless and have no family or friends left. Meth is another drug that messes up your entire life, it messed up mine cuz my mom got addicted to it. She went to prisson three times before she learned her lesson. Just remind yourself once you stop it's hard to quit, so just keep smoking pot if that's what you have to do. Or only do it once a week and go exercise when you want to get high or listen to music, read a book, focus on school, anything to get your mind off weed, that's what i'm doing. Focusing on the future and who i want to be. Just cuz you do weed every now and then doesn't mean your a bad person or have to do other drugs. Just keep telling yourself that and take it a day at a time. Sorry for the long response I hope I helped!
  Send a message via AIM to dreamer1234 Send a message via MSN to dreamer1234 Send a message via Skype™ to dreamer1234 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Marijuana Gateway. - January 21st 2012, 06:19 AM

Smoking marijuana can lead to psychosis but that is usually when there already is a higher likelihood in the first place. There is 1 study (I'll only elaborate on it and give a link if you want) where they examined risk factors for schizophrenia. They found moving multiple times to different houses had a greater chance of resulting in schizophrenia than smoking marijuana. As for your teachers saying smoking marijuana won't affect your lungs, they're talking out of their arses. There was only 1 person in my high-school who dropped out due to drugs, although in all fairness he was more into drinking alcohol and shooting up rather than smoking weed. At university, there is 1 person I know who took ketamine, alcohol, heroin and weed. I'm not sure if he got kicked out but I do know his grades were pathetically low. There was 1 other who drank a hell of a lot and smoked marijuana, then progressed to magic mushrooms then got hooked on opiods and was booted out in 3rd year due to low grades. Shortly afterward he got arrested for DUI, driving without a license, driving without insurance, possession with intent to sell marijuana and heroin, reckless driving and speeding (around 30 kmh over the speed limit). I don't know what happened to the fellow who took ketamine, I imagine he went to another university, dropped out or was arrested.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Marijuana Gateway. - January 21st 2012, 07:29 AM

i personally dont belive mj is a gateway drug. rebellious kids tend to smoke weed, and because their rebellious, they wanna act out even more. if your just the casual person that wants a joint everyonce in a while, i cant see it happening.
man... your school sounds great. u wanna talk bullshit towns tho? i cant walk my own dog without looking over my shoulder. plus my next door neighbors own a meth lab.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread