TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LR94 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Help- is weed a big deal? - March 22nd 2012, 03:23 AM

So here's the deal--

I have never smoked anything. I never plan on smoking or doing drugs EVER. I am going to college this coming fall. I have been talking (texting and fb) to this girl who is going into the same college. We seem to get along really well. We are interested in all the same stuff and she seems nice. We started talking about rooming together and our ideal living arrangements and stuff. We have so much in common and our living schedule/ style almost identical. But then I asked her if she smokes. She said not cigarettes but that sometimes she smokes weed.

I don't know if rooming with her would be a bad idea. She said she would never smoke it in the room, and never pressure me to do it, but said he might come back high sometimes. She said she's not different when she's high just quiet. I know a lot of kids smoke weed, but I just don't know how serious to take this. Im pretty sure my brother smokes it and know other ppl who smoke it and its not like i dont get along with them or feel uncomfortable around them. Would rooming with someone who smokes it be a big deal? I mean I don't know if it would even be noticeable or a bug deal.

It just kind of makes me feel icky. I don't feel like it would matter if I didn't know she smoked weed. I almost wish I didn't know. She asked me if I'd be okay with her smoking it- I felt on the slot and said it probably wouldn't matter, but does it matter? I don't really even now HOW it affects ppl???? I don't know!!

I don't want to have to tell her I can't room just cause of that one thing. I feel

like in everything else we would be a great fit. I also feel as if I'm judging her and might offend her. I w

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Anonimous Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help- is weed a big deal? - March 25th 2012, 01:19 AM

Well i don't think it's such a bad deal.
She seems nice and she isn't pushing it in your face.
If someone is high it isn't like they are in a total different world.
They are just happier or more tired or both.
I know that from personal experience.
She seems very considerate so i don't think she would make a mess of your room. If someone smokes weed maybe they are a bit lazier but i don't think it would be a problem.
But in any case, Do what you think is right.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Help- is weed a big deal? - March 27th 2012, 09:51 AM

its not a big deal. i smoke weed more than once a day, it has not had any negative effect on my life. I still get good grades, etc. It really isnt in the same category as other drugs. A large percentage of the population has at least tried weed. It doesnt make you stupid like alcohol. it makes you relaxed and hungry. it also inhibits aggression unlike alcohol. It provides the relaxation that alcohol does without the carelessness, public urination, drunk coordination, hangover, and it is less addicting. Its also very anti-aggressive. it calms anger and the temper, unlike alcohol.

Its not like cocaine or meth or something like that. Which can really mess people up because they stay up for a long period of time (meth) and dont eat and get really malnourished and also addicted,etc.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Help- is weed a big deal? - April 5th 2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2357 View Post
its not a big deal. i smoke weed more than once a day, it has not had any negative effect on my life. I still get good grades, etc. It really isnt in the same category as other drugs. A large percentage of the population has at least tried weed. It doesnt make you stupid like alcohol. it makes you relaxed and hungry. it also inhibits aggression unlike alcohol. It provides the relaxation that alcohol does without the carelessness, public urination, drunk coordination, hangover, and it is less addicting. Its also very anti-aggressive. it calms anger and the temper, unlike alcohol.

Its not like cocaine or meth or something like that. Which can really mess people up because they stay up for a long period of time (meth) and dont eat and get really malnourished and also addicted,etc.
This isn't necessarily true, I too smoked weed for a number of years and I personally found the exact opposite of everything you said. While weed doesn't make you aggressive while high I personally found I was missing something while sober, which put me on edge a lot of the time. Only people who smoke weed will advocate that its safe and everything's fine, reality is smoking pot is not healthy anyone who tells you otherwise is off the deep-end, since when does breathing in any kind of smoke become a good thing? I also found when I smoked weed it made my heart race and I could not relax, sometimes I thought I was going to have a hart attack.

I understand why people seem to think weed is less harmful then other drugs because it is, however to say its harmless is wrong.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
combatbunny Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Cool Re: Help- is weed a big deal? - April 5th 2012, 04:21 PM

It's kind of subjective. To some people it's a huge deal and to other's, it's nothing.

I smoke weed myself but I'm not here to tell you it's no big deal just because I personally feel that way. I'll give my opinion first: She seems like a nice person who will be respectful of the fact that you don't smoke weed so rooming with her shouldn't be an issue. If she says she's just quiet and mellow when she's high, then that's about it. Regular smokers are pretty accustomed to it and know what kind of high person they are so she'll probably be out of your way.

That said, since you're going to be living with this person there's a few things you should consider:

1. Weed reeks. Even if you don't smoke inside the house, you can often come back in with your clothes and hair smelling of it. It dissapates by the next day but if the smell is something that bothers you, maybe rethink this. If it isn't stored in something airtight, it will make the closet, drawer or whatever it's in, smell.

2. Does it bother you that there is an illegal substance in your house? It bothers some people.

3. High people will eat at random times if they are high... like 3am when you have an early class the next day and they're still banging around in the kitchen. Hope you're a heavy sleeper or she can be ok with keeping snacks in her room.

Other than that, you should be fine. Stoners are a pretty mellow bunch

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Help- is weed a big deal? - April 9th 2012, 03:28 AM

Honestly, your friend may act a bit different while high, but it's not a big deal.

The common assumption is that people, when they smoke marijuana, always act out in extreme ways (whether non-stop laughing, or getting violent, or whatever assumptions). The truth is, most people either calm down, or get paranoid. It really depends on how much you smoke, what kind you smoke (i.e. Indicas making you more prone to relaxing and sleeping), amongst other factors. But most of the time, when it's come to people who I've known to smoke pot, tend to relax after doing such.

If you don't want to smoke it, and your friend isn't going to pressure you, then her occasional pot smoking shouldn't be a reason to hold you back. If she were pressuring you, it'd be different, but I say as long as she's not making you breathe in the smoke against your will (either by peer pressure or by smoking it in the building), then it's definitely not a big deal.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Herp Derp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help- is weed a big deal? - April 9th 2012, 08:07 AM

Personally, I don't think it would be that big of a deal. Honestly, you might not even be able to tell when she's high. If she says she'll keep it out of the room and will never pressure you into smoking, then you shouldn't have a problem. However, combatbunny makes a few good points. If you would have a problem with those things, then I would reconsider it.

On a side note, messing with people while they're high is pretty fun, so you might want to try that if you ever get the chance. Things like talking to them in weird voices and using extreme facial expressions. (Just don't do anything that would scare her, that's actually really mean.)

Closed Thread