TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Jealous of my friend. - August 23rd 2012, 12:16 AM

So I have this friend who sings really, really good. We are both going into drama class next year. Only Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors could join drama. We are going to be sophomores. Every fall, my school does a musical. The fact that my school does do a musical is the only reason why I really went to it in the first place. I could have gone to a vocational high school, which I kind of wanted to do. But I didn't go to it because it had no drama. So anyway, she sing amazing and everyone always tells her she is amazing. She has taken years of vocal lessons. But I haven't taken a vocal lesson in my life besides chorus and this one intensive I'm doing tomorrow (and an 8 week class every Monday starting in September.)

But anyway, basically, I'm jealous of her and how she can sing really well. I'm scared, terrified actually, she is going to steal the role I want in the musical. Even if she doesn't steal the role I want, I'm worried she'll steal the limelight from me. How can I deal with the jealousy? She is my good friend, but I'm terribly jealous of her. It's really upsetting me.

Savvy?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Jealous of my friend. - August 24th 2012, 08:05 PM

Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp! =)

If your friend is a better singer than you, then chances are she WILL steal the spotlight (or if you're competing for the same part, that she will get it). That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's a fact - the better someone is at something, the more likely they are to get to where they want to be.

That being said, there's no reason why you can't audition for the part you're interested in (as a challenge to yourself), as well as audition for other parts you're interested in (that you may have a more realistic chance of getting). You don't have to be the star of the show in order to have a good time! The experience of rehearsing for and appearing in a musical producting can be rewarding, even if you have the most minor of roles. Also, if your school is anything like mine was, you will gain credibility by appearing in productions as a sophomore, which means you'll be eligible for larger roles as you reach your junior and senior years.

Your friend may be the better singer, but that doesn't mean she's better than you in EVERY way. Try to keep that in mind. You may have a passion for theater, but I'm sure that's not all you're interested in. You talked about going to a vocational school - what did you want to focus on? What is your ultimate career goal? Don't forget to focus on your other aspirations as well - it's rarely a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. For example, my friend was a "drama geek" in high school, but she also worked a part-time job, served as the school mascot, and ran a musical club. Nowadays, she's in college (and not pursuing a career in theater/singing), but she had the opportunity to do theater-related stuff on the side as a hobby (and that suited her just fine).

Good luck with your auditions and your friendship! =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Re: Jealous of my friend. - September 3rd 2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp! =)

If your friend is a better singer than you, then chances are she WILL steal the spotlight (or if you're competing for the same part, that she will get it). That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's a fact - the better someone is at something, the more likely they are to get to where they want to be.

That being said, there's no reason why you can't audition for the part you're interested in (as a challenge to yourself), as well as audition for other parts you're interested in (that you may have a more realistic chance of getting). You don't have to be the star of the show in order to have a good time! The experience of rehearsing for and appearing in a musical producting can be rewarding, even if you have the most minor of roles. Also, if your school is anything like mine was, you will gain credibility by appearing in productions as a sophomore, which means you'll be eligible for larger roles as you reach your junior and senior years.

Your friend may be the better singer, but that doesn't mean she's better than you in EVERY way. Try to keep that in mind. You may have a passion for theater, but I'm sure that's not all you're interested in. You talked about going to a vocational school - what did you want to focus on? What is your ultimate career goal? Don't forget to focus on your other aspirations as well - it's rarely a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. For example, my friend was a "drama geek" in high school, but she also worked a part-time job, served as the school mascot, and ran a musical club. Nowadays, she's in college (and not pursuing a career in theater/singing), but she had the opportunity to do theater-related stuff on the side as a hobby (and that suited her just fine).

Good luck with your auditions and your friendship! =)
TY! That helped a lot. Even if I do get a minor role, I'll own that role.
And as for the vocational school, I wanted to do something maybe related to video editing or graphic design. I'd still like to be an actress/singer/dancer as my career, but if it doesn't work out, video editing or graphic design would be cool. Or something science related. But I suck at science, lol. The school I was looking into going to had a great graphic design class.
Once again, TY. Auditions are on Thursday and Friday.

Savvy?

Closed Thread