TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Too Much School? - September 2nd 2012, 12:04 AM

So I'm a junior at one of the hardest schools in the nation. I'm in 5 AP classes, and the only "normal" high school class I'm in is Physics. I spend hours at home doing homework. My weekends usually consist of homework and sitting on my computer doing nothing. It has gotten to the point where I don't even feel like working anymore, I just spend hours on Facebook and Tumblr staring at the screen. I didn't even do homework today.

When I was a Freshman I made some mistakes, and I decided I really wanted to go to a great college and get an awesome job, so I could change the world one day. Nobody in my family really has an education, so I feel left out at dinner conversations and events. Even at school, I feel left out. I have absolutely no friends, aside from my girlfriend. However, today my girlfriend and I broke up, because she is in a similar situation, as she also has no friends. She said we need to make some friends before we can date again, since we're only hiding from the outside world with each other. We dated for 19 months... I know we will end up back together one day. But that may be why I didn't do my homework.

I always had dreams of becoming a pilot when I was in middle school, but now that I'm old enough, I don't have any money to do so. I don't have money for a car or gas or anything I want. I can't get a job because I'm so involved in school. I just don't get it. I see people my age getting their pilot's licenses, and I'm still waiting after 5 years. I have friends at school who have jobs, and I'm just so jealous of them. I just want to have a social group, a best friend, an interaction with the outside world. I don't want to grow up and find out I wasted my teenage years at a desk I feel like people at school already have social groups, and nobody really wants to talk to me. Just please help me.

Last edited by PSY; September 2nd 2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Removed triggering label.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Too Much School? - September 2nd 2012, 01:07 AM

Hey there,

Wow you must be pretty smart to be in all those AP classes! When I started my freshman year in high school I was in the same position. After stressing out over all the work until I finally froze and couldn't do anything, my mom finally convinced me to move down to regular level classes the next year. I was fighting it because I always wanted to be with the smart kids and challenge myself but I came to realize taking a couple easy classes wasn't the end of the world. Plus if you take a few easier classes, you can join a club at your school which is the perfect way to make friends. Colleges don't want to see just grades, they also look into clubs and sports and extra-curriculars. Move down a couple of your classes so you're not so stressed with homework. Colleges LOVE to see things like kids having their pilots license. If you can take a few easier classes you'll have time to make more friends and get a part time job to spent money on things like that. People think they have to be in high levels classes because they are smart enough to but the truth is, it's not always worth it! If you do well in regular level classes and have 1 or 2 AP classes and are in clubs and do other activities or a job you will be more likely to get into a good college then just taking all AP classes.

Don't waste your time doing your homework. You do have time now so use it! People may have their social groups already but if you join a club people are always welcome to other kids with similar interests. Try to get caught up in things other then just school. You will be a lot happier and better off in the future. Plus, I'm sure once you are able to find a better schedule for yourself and have other kids to hang out with you will be able to get back with your girlfriend. If worse comes to worse, if she finds a group first, ask her if she can introduce you to them. Even if you find just one kid you like in a class of yours, they can introduce you to many other kids. High level classes are overrated. One or two is fine but more than that is totally not worth it. Talk to your guidance counselor. I'm sure you'll be surprised to learn what colleges would like to see. Plus, you don't need to go to a good college to get a good job. You just need to do well! Give it a try and let me know how it goes. It's going to be hard and awkward at first but once you get over the first hump, you'll do fine! Be confident and fake it till you make it!

Keep me up to date and good luck!
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Too Much School? - September 2nd 2012, 01:27 AM

Well thank you, but I left out one thing: all those AP classes are required at my school. I can't drop them. I just have to tough it out I guess.

And I am the technical director of the theatre department of my school, so that takes up all my time. The major problem I have is that I can't leave anything. I can't switch out of my classes and I can't leave theatre, cause they need me. I would have friends in theatre, but I'm one of only 6 kids at my school who are in it. And I'm the only junior. So I have extra stress cause the one escape I have from school is dwindling by a thread cause we have so little members. But I am going to join the math club next week, so I hope that helps. Thank you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Too Much School? - September 2nd 2012, 11:51 PM

You're school requires you to take AP classes?!?! That's ridiculous! Well anyway glad to hear you're going to join a math club. Maybe try to do some recruiting for your theatre group. Post fliers and start conversations with random kids at lunch or something. Once you can get them into a conversation you can talk to them about how much you like it etc etc. The theatre program at my school turned out pretty huge. People who didn't like to act could still be stage assistants or do lights or sound or whatever. Hang in there though! You can do it just be confident!

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Too Much School? - September 3rd 2012, 02:30 AM

Yeahh, I agree it's a little crazy haha. But thank you for the ideass you really helpedd.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: Too Much School? - September 3rd 2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikpilot View Post
I always had dreams of becoming a pilot when I was in middle school, but now that I'm old enough, I don't have any money to do so. I don't have money for a car or gas or anything I want. I can't get a job because I'm so involved in school. I just don't get it. I see people my age getting their pilot's licenses, and I'm still waiting after 5 years.
I suggest, if you are up for the challenge, join the Civil Air Cadets. You probably won't be able to take flying courses immediately and may have to be enrolled for 1-2 years first, but it is a great way to get connections in the Aerospace industry and the flying fees are a lot cheaper than private, scholarships of up
$3000. But, only join if you are going to dedicate the time and bother it takes to even attend these things. But you seem interested, so maybe just a thought to look into it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Too Much School? - September 3rd 2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I suggest, if you are up for the challenge, join the Civil Air Cadets. You probably won't be able to take flying courses immediately and may have to be enrolled for 1-2 years first, but it is a great way to get connections in the Aerospace industry and the flying fees are a lot cheaper than private, scholarships of up
$3000. But, only join if you are going to dedicate the time and bother it takes to even attend these things. But you seem interested, so maybe just a thought to look into it.
I have considered that, thank you

Closed Thread