TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kind Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Should I go back home? - September 4th 2012, 11:08 PM

Alright, here's the deal. I moved out this year at 18 to play professional hockey in Spain, as sort of a "gain a good experience" type thing. I'm receiving no pay, and am attending a school to learn Spanish. I'm basically doing it for fun, and I only know one person on the team, someone who went to my prep school the previous year. He is also on the team. At first, I was extremely excited to be going, and thought it was going to be awesome. But ever since the very first day I got here, I hate it. Everything about it, I just don't like. I live in Canada to begin with. I've been to boarding school before, so I don't think that I am necessarily homesick. I also hate not being able to talk to anyone, since I don't speak Spanish at all, although I am taking the class. Everyone on my team is really friendly too, except I just can't get comfortable.

Also, I am staying in the "foreigner" apartment where the people who speak english live. All of my teammates are really great guys, but I just don't fit in. I'm not the type that goes out and parties all night every night; I prefer to lay low and do my own thing. Everyone is at least 25 and I share a room with someone 10 years older than me who acts like he's 5 years younger. This just adds to me wanting to go home even more, since I can never get a good night's sleep because everyone is up until the early hours of the morning. I really thought that coming here would be a lot of fun, but I just can't get comfortable and I want to be back at home.

I go home first in early December, but I'm not sure if I can make it until then. I have no real obligation to stay, since I am technically not getting paid and under contract.
I am extremely stressed out, and don't know what to do. Any advice/experience/tips would be great, thanks everyone.

edit: if you need any more information, just ask and I'll be happy to answer. I sort of wrote this quickly

Last edited by Kind; September 4th 2012 at 11:27 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Should I go back home? - September 6th 2012, 05:17 AM

Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp! =)

How long have you been in Spain? If it's only been a few days or weeks, I would give it some more time. Going to another country, where English is not the main language, can be a very difficult transition (or so my friends have told me). Your two biggest frustrations appear to be communication and the party atmosphere. The communication will come more easily with further studying and LOTS of practice. The atmosphere is (hopefully) something you can change - is it possible to request a dorm room change? If not, do you have the resources to rent an apartment somewhere nearby, but in an area that isn't heavily concentrated with party-goers?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kind Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Should I go back home? - September 6th 2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp! =)

How long have you been in Spain? If it's only been a few days or weeks, I would give it some more time. Going to another country, where English is not the main language, can be a very difficult transition (or so my friends have told me). Your two biggest frustrations appear to be communication and the party atmosphere. The communication will come more easily with further studying and LOTS of practice. The atmosphere is (hopefully) something you can change - is it possible to request a dorm room change? If not, do you have the resources to rent an apartment somewhere nearby, but in an area that isn't heavily concentrated with party-goers?
I forgot to add that I am going to a Spanish school to learn the language, and I have to wake up at 745am each morning to go to class, which makes it a bigger pain in the ass to sleep. I can't request a dorm room change, but there are shared apartments available with the language school, so I may try that out, although they are 110 euro a week. Thanks for the reply

Closed Thread