TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
entangledmind Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sarah
Location: the dark abiss of my mind. the only place left untouched by unwanted company

My dad is killing me - November 13th 2012, 04:33 AM

Not in the essence of quality in grades or stuff but in personality. He's always complaining how him and I aren't close but he and his other kids are.
For example, the other day in the car driving home from church he began trying to make small talk with me but everything he told me or w/e I couldn't follow up on because they were random facts that i didn't know what to say to. He got really pissed off at me and began complaining that I never tried to talk to him, how rude I always am, and how he and the other kids always talk to him. He constantly complains how I don't talk to him that much or engage in conversation like I do with my friends.
Well he's NOT my friends. Like how the hell am I going to talk to him about how the Green Day singer went to rehab etc. He doesn't know about that stuff. Not to mention every time I do try to talk to him nonchalantly he always has to push scripture in my face and if I ask him not to or tell him that he's suffocating me in scripture he gets angry and starts saying how worldly I am becoming...
I have tried on numerous occasions to try to get along with my dad and finally after years I've accepted the fact I don't like my dad nor do I want any relationship between us. So it's hard when he gets angry at me when I don't respond exactly how he would like me to. My dad is always hurting me. He makes me feel like I'm less then dirt. Whenever I disappoint him he gives me this look of utter disgust and sometimes just ignores me for the rest of the day. It really bothers me. I've told him but he says that he only gets that look because it's my attitude. I'm scared of him.
What should I do? I try really hard to be respectful but sometimes it's extremely hard.
My dad is always hurting me. He makes me feel like I'm less then dirt Whenever I disappoint him he gives me this look of utter disgust and sometimes just ignores me for the rest of the day. It really bothers me. I've told him but he says that he only gets that look because it's my attitude.

I tell people i'm
tired. But in reality

i'm just sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-4wU...C66B1A12A9745D

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My dad is killing me - November 14th 2012, 03:28 AM

You've been posting a LOT of threads about your dad lately... so clearly, there isn't a simple solution to all of this conflict. There is one thing I'd like to point out, though. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't... but it can't hurt to try! You mentioned that your dad will initiate the conversation by listing random facts, which you can't easily respond to, because you know nothing about those topics. You also mentioned that YOU can't initiate conversation with your dad, because he won't know about the things you're interested in. Well, maybe if you tried asking follow-up questions when your dad lists random facts (ex. Dad: "The price of gold just rose to $$$$ per ounce!" You: "Why have gold prices been rising so much lately?"), and maybe if you actually talked about something you're interested in (and didn't automatically assume your dad wouldn't be interested), you'd be pleasantly surprised and have a nice conversation every now and then. Again, I am NOT saying your problems with your dad will magically disappear (especially if he is abusive at times), but if you can do small things to improve the situation, then I think it's worth putting in some effort. =)

Closed Thread