TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ilikethisgame Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Attention-seeking friend - June 23rd 2013, 12:38 AM

I have a best friend who I've been friends with since I was about 7 years old (I'm now 19) and it seems like the older we get, the more she doesn't understand me and appears attention seeking.

Basically thoughout our early teenage years she always used to make out her life was hard. She used to cut and then put her arm on the table and show it off. I'm not one to judge, but the thing in her life WASN'T hard at all, yet it felt like she always had something to prove, like it was a competition.
As we've got older she's started to irritate me even more. For example, if we have a discussion about old times we laugh about the bad times in my life. For example when I broke up with one boy years ago, I was so hysterical, it got to point that I was so hysterical that I started to laugh at how pathetic I got and we both laughed until our insides hurt. And we still talk about those times now. But I then if we talk about hers she'll be like 'oh, that time I broke up with them, I felt suicidal, it's not even funny.' Yet mine was funny...

When my broke up from my 3yr relationship a couple of months ago, it took her a week until she msged me to see if I was okay because she was 'busy'. If I did that, I wouldn't live it down! Then a couple of weeks ago she huffed and said 'Hopefully next time I see you, you'll be over him...' like I SHOULD BE! What a cow, I hadn't even mentioned him either. She's been with her partner for a year and a half now and because she's a lesbian and has a Muslim girlfriend, as you can imagine, crap went down with each other's families. She then said to me 'At least you and your ex's relationship was all plain sailing' I said 'What is that supposed to mean!?' And she said 'Well mine is hard, our families are at war, you were so close to his family, easy.' Mine and my ex's relationship WAS difficult, in a different way and for different reasons, how dare she suggest otherwise.
Now she's writing pathetic facebook status' saying about her undying love for her girlfriend and how 'no one else could last a week in their shoes'. Acting like her relationship is superior to everyone elses! I mean will she get a grip? She also had the cheek to suggest my life was one big wim and she was shocked at my university results because of 'all my drinking', suggesting I fluked them and don't work hard to get places!!

Long story short I'm in tatters over my heartbreak and she's still trying to act like her problems are worse. She should be bloody thankful at the end of the day she can at least go back and have a cuddle, mine is gone from my life forever. I am fuming at her attitude towards my life, she never takes a single thing in it seriously. My break up - 'oh, you'll get over it' and if she breaks up with her current one now she'll be like 'omg, I'm so suicidal, nobody is helping me'.
How can I deal with her insensitive ways?

Every new day creates a new story in your life. Make it a good ending. Smile.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Kayla Christine.

Re: Attention-seeking friend - June 23rd 2013, 08:28 PM

Have you tried talking to you friend, about how this is making you feel. I know a lot of people who are like this and they do not realise that they are doing it. Talk to your friend, and if she doesn't understand maybe you too have just grown apart. There are always other friends out there. That will respect you and help you when you need someone to talk too. If you need anything My PM is always open.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lamia Offline
Snake Goddess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katherine

Re: Attention-seeking friend - June 24th 2013, 03:59 AM

Like Kayla said, some people are just like that, and they may not be aware that they are. If it's making you feel so badly, I would bring it up with her and talk to her about it, and how she makes you feel when she behaves this way. Some people need a wakeup call about how insensitive they are being.

Keep in mind that even if she does realize this, it might take her some time to get over it, and she might mess up and need reminding again.

Hope that helps!

-Kat

Buddy Since 5/12/13

Live Help Access Since 8/4/13

Chat Moderator Since 12/26/13

Videos Team Member since 1/11/14

PM me if you need anything at all ♥

Closed Thread