TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
teenager149 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

My mom takes too many photos of me :( - March 20th 2014, 12:19 AM

Yeah, so my mom takes too many photos of me...in fact she takes too many photos of everything. I always tell her that one photo of myself is enough, but then she says that it is none of my business how many photos she wants to take.

Then I get really annoyed. And when I do, she gets mad and talks about how rude I act. She sometimes talks about how it would be better if she had a daughter instead.

You know, my mom is cool and all, but I just don't understand many things about her... :/

I wear glasses.
Str8up Japanese
Bay Area, Cali ▶️ Tokyo
PM me when you need to!
teenager149

(#2 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I can't get enough

Re: My mom takes too many photos of me :( - March 20th 2014, 09:02 PM

Hey

Family or not, if you're uncomfortable with someone taking photos of you, they shouldn't be doing it. Period. She can take as many photos as she wants - but when they're of you, they become your business.
She also shouldn't be so rude to you. Telling you she wishes she had a daughter instead really isn't okay.
I don't mean to imply that you are rude to her, but in the future, try to argue constructively - "I feel, I think," instead of "You make me feel/think," that way she has no reason to get defensive, or to say that you're attacking her, for example. I understand it's difficult to be polite to someone who's angering you, but if you are calm and constructive, she has no reason to tell you you're being rude.
If she really makes you feel uncomfortable, or says unnecessary hurtful things to you, I would look into telling someone, because a mother should never say things like that to a child.

I hope I've helped somewhat, and that this works out for you soon Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
teenager149 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My mom takes too many photos of me :( - March 20th 2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive. View Post
Hey

Family or not, if you're uncomfortable with someone taking photos of you, they shouldn't be doing it. Period. She can take as many photos as she wants - but when they're of you, they become your business.
She also shouldn't be so rude to you. Telling you she wishes she had a daughter instead really isn't okay.
I don't mean to imply that you are rude to her, but in the future, try to argue constructively - "I feel, I think," instead of "You make me feel/think," that way she has no reason to get defensive, or to say that you're attacking her, for example. I understand it's difficult to be polite to someone who's angering you, but if you are calm and constructive, she has no reason to tell you you're being rude.
If she really makes you feel uncomfortable, or says unnecessary hurtful things to you, I would look into telling someone, because a mother should never say things like that to a child.

I hope I've helped somewhat, and that this works out for you soon Take care.
Thanks for the reply. I feel kinda guilty for acting rude to her honestly...she is pretty stressed out lately.

I wear glasses.
Str8up Japanese
Bay Area, Cali ▶️ Tokyo
PM me when you need to!
teenager149

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: My mom takes too many photos of me :( - March 21st 2014, 12:56 AM

Have you asked your mum why she keeps taking pictures of you? Maybe there's a good reason behind it and it'd be a good idea to find out why. That way if there's a good reason for it, it may help you to understand why she does it so much and help resolve this difference between the two of you.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Paint Offline
ετεɾṉαl ɾεṡτ †
Average Joe

Re: My mom takes too many photos of me :( - March 21st 2014, 06:58 PM

If you're not comfortable with it, I think you should talk to her. Tell her how it makes you feel uncomfortable and make her understand that there's a reason behind it. You shouldn't have to be in pictures when you don't want to be! Ask her politely if she can take pictures of other things instead. I'm sure a simple conversation can go a lot further than you think! If even after the talk she doesn't get it, simply refuse to pose in pictures for her or just walk away every time she gets a camera at you. If she calls you rude for it, then you should explain to her that it's rude of her to not respect your opinion (in a polite way of course). Best of luck.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: My mom takes too many photos of me :( - March 21st 2014, 09:15 PM

If you don't like pictures being taken of you then you have a right to tell your mom that you don't want the pictures taken. It is your business on how many pictures she is taking of you since it involves you. I would sit down with your mom and explain that you don't like pictures being taken of you and when she does take them it makes you mad or annoyed then you take it out on her. Hopefully she will listen to you and stop taking the pictures

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My mom takes too many photos of me :( - March 22nd 2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTides View Post
Have you asked your mum why she keeps taking pictures of you? Maybe there's a good reason behind it and it'd be a good idea to find out why. That way if there's a good reason for it, it may help you to understand why she does it so much and help resolve this difference between the two of you.
I second this statement. Your mom could be taking lots of pictures because she wants to remember what you looked like at different stages of your life. She may want to cherish the memories of you growing up by looking at photos of you many years from now. Perhaps her own parents didn't take many photos of her and she regrets not being able to see what SHE looked like at different stages of her life, so she's trying to ensure you don't feel bad when you're an adult and want to look at old photos of yourself.

The fact that your mom takes lots of photos of different things could indicate that she relies heavily on images to recall fond memories, to find inspiration for goals/projects, etc. It doesn't sound like she's trying to make you uncomfortable, but I can also understand why you would feel uncomfortable. Just approach her in a calm manner and see what she has to say. Try to understand where she's coming from, and in return, she'll probably be more willing to understand where you're coming from. Then a compromise can be reached. =)

Closed Thread