TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

How to deal with a snoopy friend? - March 23rd 2014, 04:03 PM

I have a "friend" who loves to delve into the details of my personal life, as well as others. I have caught him on numerous occasions- my Facebook profile (he installed a key logger to read the messages between myself and my boyfriend), my school account with my grades, and even going so far as to looking up my salary to let me know that he's making more money.

It's beyond frustrating. Whenever I'm over, he's on our state's judicial page looking up who from high school has been arrested. He stumbled on one of my friend's criminal records and that set me over the edge.

Despite asking him *several* times to stop doing this, he doesn't, and even says it's human nature. Yes, human nature to be curious but not to stalk?

How do you deal with that one friend who loves to know more about you than you want them to know?

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: How to deal with a snoopy friend? - March 23rd 2014, 06:27 PM

Hi there,
I would suggest sitting down with them and talking through what they are doing and how it is making you feel; as that way you will both know each others side of the story. It could be your friend doesn't know how his behavior is making you feel.
I hope this helps, feel free to PM or VM me if you need to talk further.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: How to deal with a snoopy friend? - March 23rd 2014, 07:24 PM

I know you've asked him to stop many times, and he obviously hasn't done that. I guess the next thing you need to consider is if he's worth keeping around. Does he hold some good points in your friendship? Do they outweigh those bad points? If you can't put up with his stalkish behaviour any more then you might just want to consider not spending as much time with him any more.

It's obviously a big issue that he has in his life that he needs to work on by himself, but he doesn't see it as a problem yet. Maybe when his friends decide to not hang around with him any more because of this behaviour, he might know that it's time to stop.

Take care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: How to deal with a snoopy friend? - March 23rd 2014, 07:39 PM

Okay, if it were just a matter of him trying to read over your shoulder or something I would just suggest making sure he's not near you when you text/message people and having passwords that he doesn't know.

However, him installing a key logger changes a lot. That's beyond just being nosy. There is absolutely nothing okay with that and personally, I would cut him out of my life completely. There is no reason that is okay or appropriate for him to do. That's just creepy and it seems like he may have a problem with respecting privacy.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Re: How to deal with a snoopy friend? - March 24th 2014, 06:21 AM

If he's trying to use "but it's human nature that makes me want to know every single detail of your personal life" as an excuse for this behavior, I don't know why you haven't filed a police report on this person yet. The keylogger seems to show that this is different from just someone who is curious. Cut him out of your life. NOW.

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
dragonblood Offline
hello there
Average Joe

Name: Call me Daff

Re: How to deal with a snoopy friend? - March 24th 2014, 10:03 AM

Sit down and have a talk with your 'friend'. At the end of the talk if you really think he doesn't get it, you should call off being friends with him.

~the dragon one

Closed Thread