TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
teenager149 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question How Do I Get More Comfortable With Making Girl Friends as a Guy? - August 20th 2014, 05:52 AM

How Do I Get More Comfortable With Making Girl Friends as a Guy?

Hi, so I'm an Asian guy with glasses who is currently a sophomore in high school. It's not like I am super popular or anything, but I do have several friends and acquaintances, and a few of them are girls.

I'm hoping to become better at making more girl friends, because there are some girls in my classes that I would like to be friends with. What sucks is that I don't sit next to them, and my teachers would not like to see side conversations or notes being passed. So yeah, I don't really have a chance to talk to them.

I'm not good at starting a conversation, either. I don't know if I should just say hi to them out of the blue. Maybe I can compliment on their outfit. Or I'm smart, so I guess I can help them with their homework...i dunno. I'm just not so comfortable around girls. =/

So yeah, just wondering how I can make friends easily.

I wear glasses.
Str8up Japanese
Bay Area, Cali ▶️ Tokyo
PM me when you need to!
teenager149

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How Do I Get More Comfortable With Making Girl Friends as a Guy? - August 20th 2014, 02:02 PM

If you compliment a girls cloths I might think your gay or that you are hitting on me. It's not necessarily a bad thing it's just that, stereotypically, guys don't really notice what a girls outfit looks like first, just that she looks good or bad in the said outfit. But if you are known for being fashionable then it might be less Of a "ok what are you getting at" sort of thing. But girls usually go to other girls for clothing unless the said male is a close friend or boyfriend.

Any how, just strike up a normal conversation. "Hi how are you?" always works well lol. Or if you're good at any particular subject you could start making a name for yourself as someone who will help others with it - this is what I did in French and people would come get help from me because the teacher was a douche bucket.

Girls really are nt as complicated as we are made out to be. If you are nice to us and show interest we usually do the same in return. We don't always expect flattery or anything. Just decency. Hope that helps.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: How Do I Get More Comfortable With Making Girl Friends as a Guy? - August 20th 2014, 07:33 PM

Hey there,

Being you and only you, can help with talking to others; females or males, just be yourself. When trying to come up with something to say to someone else it can be hard to communicate that at first especially when you don't know that person that well. Some easy ways to strike up a conversation with someone are fairly simple.

- "Hey, I saw you doodling on a piece of paper. Do you draw/or like to draw?" OR "Hey, I do you like Pokemon? What is you're opinion on Ash and Misty?"
If you see someone who is wearing something that you like or relate to, you can use that as a conversation starter. This will be easier for you because you know a bit about it. You can use anything, like your interests, hobbies, etc., and observe someone else, this helps to talk to someone.

You can even say something as simple as:

- "Hey, what did you think about our history test?"

One of easiest ways to have a conversation with is when you can relate to the other person. Sometimes, that is hard to know what you do relate if they aren't wearing a t-shirt, drawing, or something. You can say something like, "Hey, I started to watch this new show and was wondering if you watch the show?"

Or if your class is reading a book you can ask questions around that book.

One of the main things to remember is, be yourself, don't be someone you're not.

Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: How Do I Get More Comfortable With Making Girl Friends as a Guy? - August 22nd 2014, 02:18 AM

Hey fellow Asian!

Because the girls are in your class, the easiest thing for you to do is to just start a conversation with "Hi, sorry, I've forgotten, but what was the homework for XXXX." And after that you could talk about whether or not its difficult and progress on.

And like the user above mentioned, noticing things about people can tell you a lot about their interests and how to start a conversation with them.

Don't worry too much about the things you say. Us girls don't bite

Feel free to message me if you would like to talk!

Kyra
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How Do I Get More Comfortable With Making Girl Friends as a Guy? - August 22nd 2014, 09:04 AM

Hey there,

There are a lot of ways to strike up conversations with people. I know it can be hard if you are shy or something like that though but sometimes you just have to overcome it and think "Hey I am trying to make friends."

Since you are in class with these girls some of the best ways to start a conversation with them would to be by asking them questions pertaining to the class. Such as "Do you know what the homework assignment is?" of " How are you liking this class so far."

Once you have started the conversation you could try to continue it by talking to them about other random things or you could leave it for the day and just start saying hi to them from there on out and striking up conversation every now and then. With time you might end up building friendships with them.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread