TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Simply Complicated
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bella

Thumbs down My mothers unrealist expectation of my boyfriend an I's Money. - May 10th 2009, 06:41 AM

I normally don't post on websites about my problems,but this problem is to the point where if I don't let it out I will never stop being angry.

I'm going to let you know a little bit about me before I get into my problem/ rant. My name is Isabella Thurman and I live with my Boyfriend of 6 years in his home state of Wisconsin. My pahrents live 9 hours away from us in Missouri. Now on to my problematic rant.

My problem began two weeks ago when my mother an I were talking about how much vacation time both of us would be getting. We both get about two weeks of vacation,and were wondering how all of us could get together to spend time. As we were trying to figure this out my mom suggested that we all go to see my grandfather in Texas.

Of course I have mixed feelings about going to see him since I don't know him that well. I haven't seen my grandfather since I was seven years old.The last memory I have of him isn't all that pleasant . To be a bigger person I decided to put that behind me and decided that I'd take her up on going to see my grandfather.

That is until I heard her unrealistic way of how We were to go. She wanted Me and my boyfriend to fly from Wisconsin to Missouri and then from there to Texas with her,and my father. I told her that we couldn't afford tickets at this time since we have a lot of other expenses to pay for.

She proceeds to tell me that I have the money I just don't want to spend it on anything that isn't for me,or my selfishness. I don't consider myself to be selfish just because I won't get into my Emergency fund to get Us tickets to see a man I hardly know. Am I wrong in telling her this?

I Beg you.... To have patience with everything
unresolved in your heart and try
to love the questions themselves as
if they were locked rooms
or books in a very foreign language
Don't search for the answers
Which could not be given to you
right now because you wouldn't be able to
live with them
and the point is to LIVE
Everything live
the questions now
Perhaps then some day
far into the future you will
gradually live your way into
THE ANSWER

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: My mothers unrealist expectation of my boyfriend an I's Money. - May 10th 2009, 01:50 PM

Bella,

No, you are not in the wrong by not wanting to tap into your emergency funds. Your mum should respect that you and your boyfriend do not have unlimited amounts of money and there's only so much you can do. You're her daughter, she shouldn't push you into doing something that isn't reasonable right now.

I'd say to try talking with her about this again, explain to her that no, you don't have the money to pay for the tickets right now and see if you can work out some sort of compromise - maybe her and your dad fly to you, and then down to Texas, or something like that.

Something else you might want to try, would it be possible to speak with your dad about this and see if he can help your mum to see reason? She might be more likely to listen to him. Either way, it's worth a shot, right?

Hope things work out, take care of yourself.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

Closed Thread