TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BookDragon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Caitlyn

my mom kicked me out - February 29th 2016, 08:27 AM

My relationship with my mom has been deteriorating for quite some time. Last night it all came to a climax and she kicked me out, saying I am unwelcome to stay there anymore, even though it's my money that pays the bulk of the rent.

I don't want to stay there anymore but I also know that I have absolutely no clue how to live on my own despite being almost 20 years old.

I have nowhere to go. Nowhere to sleep, no money so I can eat, no way to wash my work uniforms.

I feel so helpless and scared. I don't know what to do.

My body may be a temple but I am the god to whom it is devoted. Do not presume to tell me how I may decorate my altar.

repeat after me: i can and i will. i may not get there right away. i may fail multiple or even hundreds of times. but i am going to pick myself back up and eventually get to the point i want to be at in my life.
  Send a message via Skype™ to BookDragon 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: my mom kicked me out - February 29th 2016, 02:28 PM

I'm sorry to hear that your mom has put you into this difficult position. You say that it's your money that mostly pays for the bills, so that must mean you have some source of income or something. Am I correct? I'll come back to that.

First of all, is there any chance that you can reconcile with your mom? If yes, maybe try. If no, it'll be ok.

I was 17 when I moved out on my own and I totally sucked at it at first. I don't think anyone really knows how to be a grown ass adult who lives on their own at first, it just takes time and experience.. You don't have to know how to cook or anything; you can just figure it out as you go.

Now I return to the money. Don't pay for your mom's bills if you're not even living there. Call around have your debit/credit account info removed from any household bills you pay. If you have to, you can probably go to the bank and have them close your account if your mom knows things such as the transit and account numbers as well as the number on the face of the card. If you tell the bank that someone has that information, they can help you.

Next, is there anyone you can stay with? I understand that it might be embarrassing to ask, but if you have a friend who can put you up for a bit that might help. She/he/they might even be able to help you get your belongings from your mom's when you have something more permanent. It might go a long way to tell them you need X number of days or weeks (e.g. 2 weeks). If not, is there is always the option of staying at a shelter. You can go to a women's or youth one (young is generally extended by 12-24 when it comes to shelters instead of just 12-18). The people there will likely also be able to help you get your belongings back from your mom, secure any social assistance you might need (e.g. welfare), find an inexpensive place to live, and find a job.

I hope everything will be ok. PM me if you need to talk.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: my mom kicked me out - February 29th 2016, 06:36 PM

I'm sorry to hear about this, I can't imagine how you feel right now.

I agree with what's been said. Don't pay anything for your mom since you're not living there anymore. Let her figure out how to handle things by herself. I like the idea of closing your bank account and removing your information attached to your mom's house so she can't take advantage of you.

Maybe you can find someone to stay with, like a close friend or another family member for a little while until you get back on your feet. I know renting can be expensive, but you might be able to look into renting just a single bedroom in an entire house. A lot of people do that, especially for business, and if you meet the people before moving in, you should be okay.

As for your uniform, maybe you can hang it outside for a while if the weather is okay? Sometimes the fresh air can do a lot for clothes. You can look at the Dollar Tree (or any other dollar store you have around you) and you can get a mini bottle of detergent for your laundry. Maybe you can find a laundromat somewhere.

Cooking can be hard. I know I personally like to bake, not cook. But if it's one thing I learned, is that if you follow the directions and everything, you'll be able to cook. Someone has always told me that if you can read, you can cook.

I hope you find a place to stay.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jupiter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: my mom kicked me out - March 7th 2016, 09:47 AM

I'm sorry to hear about what happened.

Maybe you could try talking to her once everything has calmed down? You mentioned that your salary covers the bulk of the rent so it's probably not in your mom's best interest to kick you out either.

Try to talk it out with her in a sincere way after a day or two. I'm sure that if you really mean it something can be done.

Closed Thread