TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KimmyKitty Offline
Queen Kitty Bae
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimberly

Unhappy Family and friends don't accept me for who i am - May 23rd 2016, 12:03 AM

I'll try to explain this in the best way that I can. I guess this is somewhat of a rant and a need for advice. Lately I have been feeling extremely depressed because i feel like my family and some of my friends don't accept me for who i am. I'm not sure what to do about this. I feel like I always get put down because i dont have the same interests as some of my family. I have even gotten bashed by them for not liking the same things that they do. I am also told that I do not know how to talk to people appropriately and this is why i struggle with relationships in general. I'm just not sure what to do anymore. I am severely depressed and anxious because of all of this. I don't know who to be or how to act to anyone without always being put down for who i am. Any advice?

SKITTLIFY!

Random Cat!
  Send a message via Skype™ to KimmyKitty 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Destroyprophecy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Family and friends don't accept me for who i am - May 23rd 2016, 06:40 AM

I struggle with the same thing im the black sheep of my family but I'm happy to be different and i embrace it. I do get really upset sometimes though due to the way i get treated also in these times i try to hang out or talk with people who accept me and like how different i am. I like to think that someone unique like us for example are much more appealing and special

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Family and friends don't accept me for who i am - May 24th 2016, 03:44 AM

I like the idea of embracing your differences, especially with your interests. You don't have to like the same things as everyone else and you can't help but have different interests. If your friends and family don't accept that, that's on them. Try to be proud of what makes you different. Don't let them make you feel ashamed. Think of it this way: if we were all similar, we'd be boring. But we're different and there's a good uniqueness to that.

It isn't really anyone's business if you struggle with relationships or why you struggle with them, so I find the fact that they're nagging you about it to be inappropriate. They're throwing their opinions in your face, but what do you think? Do you genuinely think you have difficulty communicating with others? If you do, that's definitely something you can work on overcoming. If you don't, then carry on as you are.

Keep being you. It's not fair for you to have to pretend like you're someone else just to please other people and doing that is exhausting. Be who you like to be. Be what makes you happy and pursue hobbies that make you feel happy and good about yourself. Anyone who puts you down because of that has an issue of their own.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Closed Thread