TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Claire C Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Claire

Angry My sister is stealing the spotlight! - August 16th 2017, 04:41 AM

So, I got favored all my life!
Until my older sister got adopted. Now my mom TOTALLY favors her by taking her to the salon, the bookstore, and the art store! She is prettier than me, does better in school, and is more popular!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: My sister is stealing the spotlight! - August 16th 2017, 03:06 PM

If someone is an only child, it's natural for their parents to favour them because, well, they're the only child they can favour!

It's understandable that maybe you feel threatened by your new sister, or feeling jealous because it looks like your mum favours her more, however this is not the case. Your mum just wants your newly adopted sister to feel comfortable with her new family, and wants to help settler her into her new life.

Think about it this way, is it really that bad to have a sister? You now have a sibling who you can do all kinds of things with that you certainly couldn't do before. Having a sibling isn't all that bad. I have an older brother and although we weren't always close, I can't imagine not having a sibling I can make stupid jokes with, or tease, or be teased by, or helps me with things I don't understand.

I get that you might feel pushed aside, or feel that she's better than you in every way possible but every person is unique and different. There are things that she may not be very good at, that you're great at. Just because you think she looks better than you doesn't make it true. That's just your opinion, and it doesn't mean that you look less pretty that she does either. Don't doubt yourself and don't compare yourself to your new sister, you are both entirely different people.

A thing that happens when we're young is that we always want to be popular, especially at school. It's easy to think that if you're not in the 'in' crowd or you're not as 'popular' as somebody else then you feel like your confidence has been knocked. Popularity is a matter of opinion. What you may think is popular to her, may not be popular to somebody else. Your sister may be popular for a specific reason equally as much as you may be popular for another reason.

All in all, try not to think too much on how your mum is treating your new sister, she just wants to make new feel comfortable and happy with her new mum and her great new sister. Just be yourself and don't compare yourself to her, again, you're two entirely different people.

Life is for living, not for losing.

Closed Thread