TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Winchester666 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris

My sister and I growing apart? - August 29th 2018, 03:11 AM

For as long as I can remember, my little sister and I have been inseparable. We did everything together. But recently, all she wants to do is read her fucking fanfiction. It's all she thinks about. I actually make attempts at trying to do things with her. The one thing we've both always loved was role-playing. I've tried and tried to get her to roleplay with me but she just won't. She won't do anything with me, we don't talk as much and it's frustrating. Because in all honesty, she's my best friend, but she doesn't want to do anything with me anymore. It's gone from disappointing to frustrating, and now it's just getting increasingly depressing. I've always counted on her to want to hang out with me, and now that she won't, I don't really know what to do with myself. And I can't really go to friends because the only one I have can never hang out with me because her parents don't like me anymore, which is a whole other problem. Anyway, sorry about the long rant about what's probably a really small problem, it's just making my depression and self harm thoughts come back because I just feel like she doesn't want to be around me anymore and why would she?

"Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good." - George Feeny

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My sister and I growing apart? - August 29th 2018, 02:11 PM

Maybe it's not that your sister doesn't want to be around you, but she's just really sucked into fanfiction. Some people really get into their hobbies for a little while. How long has she been into it? She might, at some point, become a little bored or tired of it and want to spend more time with you again.

You said you tried to spend time with her but she's not very into it. Have you told her how you felt? You could use I statements and tell her how you feel when she's busy with her fanfiction.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount28

Edit avatar

Re: My sister and I growing apart? - August 29th 2018, 05:20 PM

My hobbies and interests are ever-changing. What I was interested in doing two weeks ago have gone away. What I'm interested in now might change in a couple weeks. I always find my way back to it, whether that may take months or close to a year or more. With fanfiction, you get sucked into this inexplicable rabbit hole. I understand where you are coming from, because once you get back into fanfiction, it's quite hard to get out of it!

Perhaps you can talk to your sister about what this is doing to you and how it's affecting your relationship with her. Perhaps you can set something where she will only read one chapter of a story (or one story if it's a one-shot) and then go hang out with you. Or, if you want to connect on the same level, perhaps write out a story about your roleplays (ie, with those characters) and give it to her to read. If it's based on something that already exists (a band, a tv show, etc) then it becomes fanfiction, and might appeal to her.

Just some thoughts. Best of luck.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: My sister and I growing apart? - August 30th 2018, 02:05 PM

Hey there, I can relate in a way since I have a younger sister. We were inseparable as you said, always playing together, never had to invite friends over because we had each other.

In my case round about the time I went into my teenage years, I lost interest in all of the games we would play, and she would be upset that I didn't want to play with her. I hated it, I really wanted to be there with her but it just felt like something in me shifted and I couldn't find fun in the same places anymore.
Flash-forwards five years, I'm now the one who wants that connection with her, but now that she is fifteen she's entered a new phase fo growing up and has other things she wants to do, other people she wants to hang out with.

Personally I'm confident that in a few years time when we are both in our twenties, we'll be in a better place to reconnect because we'll be more or less in the same stage of life.
I don't see why it would be any different for you. Your sister is just growing up and discovering herself as an individual -- try to enjoy seeing her grow in that way, even though the distance can be frustrating.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

Closed Thread