TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dust and Ash

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aiyannah

Mom threatens to send me off again - November 23rd 2018, 11:44 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My mom has been using the psyche hospital as a scare tactic to get me to listen. She goes, "Give me attitude and you can go on a 'field trip' again." She calls it a field trip and my parents sometimes make fun of it and yeah I laugh it off, but it terrifies me that they could simply say I'm not behaving and I could get sent off for a few weeks or a month. I'm not sure what to do with this, because every time I try to talk sense to her or ask if she really would send me off, my mom says that I just need to behave.

But thing is, I'm not a problematic teenager. I do listen and I'm respectful, but it frustrates me that my mom can easily tell someone I am the opposite and they can listen to them.

When the world drags you down, roll over and smell the roses.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Mom threatens to send me off again - November 24th 2018, 04:58 PM

I'm sorry that your mom is using the psych ward as a way to force you to behave. I am sure that you know more than most that there is a huge difference between "normal" teenaged rebellion/attitude and an actual mental health crisis that would require hospitalization. It's not ok for your mom to use the threat of a psych ward to force you to "behave". I mean, seriously, giving her attitude doesn't = "crazy" or mentally ill and you can't just send your kid away for typical teen behaviour and it's wrong for her to even suggest she might, even as a joke.

Is there anyone you can talk to like a therapist or a doctor? Even a teacher, principal or a guidance counsellor? That way, even if you can't stop your mom, a professional can document that this is an ongoing concern for you. Like I said, your mom shouldn't be able to just send you off, but I just think it is important to have someone to back you up if worst comes to worst. In addition, if you speak with a therapist (or anyone else I listed like that), they might be able to mediate for you and tell your mom that this isn't acceptable.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dust and Ash

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aiyannah

Re: Mom threatens to send me off again - November 25th 2018, 07:10 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I have my next counseling appointment next week, so I'm going to tell my counselor about what my mom has been doing. Hopefully it goes well, and I'm just praying that my mom comes to think rationally when it comes to sending me off.

When the world drags you down, roll over and smell the roses.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Mom threatens to send me off again - November 28th 2018, 02:36 AM

Good luck. I hope it will help to have someone to document what's going on, help you with strategies to deal with your mom when she uses this threat, and to mediate with her.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: No Name

Re: Mom threatens to send me off again - December 1st 2018, 10:40 PM

I am so sorry Aiyannah. I don't know if talking with your mom and telling her how it scares you when she says things like that if that will help the situation out or not. You should not have that hanging over your head though. There is enough stress that we have to go through let alone having your own mom put pressure on you to behave with something like that. If talking to her won't work and would make things even worse I suppose the only other thing is to go about being the kid you are and giving her no reason at all to say anything like that.

Closed Thread