TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

I don't know how to handle this - July 2nd 2009, 04:12 AM

I will be applying to university in November of this year; starting university in Fall 2010. There is a very good university that is only three hours away that I would love to go to. It had the program that I want and has everything I could possibly want in a school.

Problem is, my parents don't want me moving away from home. Correction: They don't mind if I just go to this school but I want a bit more than that. See, they have a program called: "First Year in England". With this programs, select students are given the opportunity to study with the school in a castle in England for eight months.

I would love this opportunity. I know that I would get accepted to this program if I applied because of my grade average. It's about $10,000 more than if I were to stay at the Canadian residence. It's not that much of a difference - considering I'll be studying in a castle in a different country!

There are so many pluses to this program:

-I'll get preferred residence when I come back to the Canadian residence for 2nd, 3rd and 4th year
-I'll be with a small group of people and we would become close friends
-Small class sizes
-An opportunity to explore England (they also bring you on trips to places like France, Spain, Italy, etc.)

This would be a dream for me. I understand that we don't have a lot of money and university itself is going to be difficult to pay for. I'm working two jobs this summer, however, in hopes of saving up for university. They'd actually prefer if I stay in town for university and live at home but I will really be upset about that. They said they'd allow me to go to university away from home (within the province) but don't want me to go to England.

I really want to go. I would do anything. Does anyone know any way that I can talk to my parents about this? I've written up a report about the top five universities and programs that I want to apply to. I included the First Year in England program at this university. They said 'no' already but it was irrational. I really want to talk to them about it; I really want to go.

Any help at all? =(

SUP BRO.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't know how to handle this - July 2nd 2009, 12:35 PM

hey hun, it's hard to go against your parents' wishes when it comes to tertiary education. especially if its far away from home. did your parents tell you why they're against it other than the money issue? sometimes, parents can be overly paranoid about sending their kids overseas. but i believe that if you keep firm on your belief that going overseas will be a great opportunity for you, they've to give in in the end. tell them that it's your choice, your life, and that you truthfully respect them, but there're some decisions they've to trust to you to make. i'm sure they can see the responsibility you have in raising funds for university and when they see how truly committed you are, they might reconsider.
it's your life hun..

and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

Closed Thread