TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ladyladylady Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Homeless Friend Needs Help. - September 3rd 2009, 05:43 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I have a friend who has a mom who is kicking her out soon. Her mom is known for being an alcoholic, and has expressed directly that she no longer loves her daughter, therefore does not welcome her presence any longer. My friend has just graduated high school. She is now attending college. My friend also has a job (with her mother) currently. She is driven, responsible and respectful toward others. The problem is that she has no where to go. No one to turn to. Her boyfriend hates her but uses her for sexual pleasure. Her family looks down upon her due to rumors caused by her mother. And most of her friends are in the same or similar situation. I've been her friend for years. But I do not know how to help her. She is only 18 years old. Getting by in life, isn't easy alone. I was thinking of getting her to a local shelter that sounds pretty great. I found it at operationsafehouse.org

I need advice. What should I do for her?
She already tried counseling with her mother. She only has a mother.
But the mother would not cooperate.

The mother has already kicked out her son.
And the mother chooses to stay with a man that abuses and uses her.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SubFocus Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Homeless Friend Needs Help. - September 3rd 2009, 08:08 AM

Hello there.

I think the best thing to do is to talk to your friend. Before her mum kicks her out surely there are other ways that they can be helped. For example her mother seeking some form of rehab for her problem maybe?
I think that if the girl had had enough of her family she would of left the house by now so she is obviously upset that her mother has said something like that to her.
Were does this son live and is she close to him maybe? She could always see if he will put her up for a while, while she finishes college, after all he was in the same situation as her?

If all of that fails then i guess there is only one option for her to do and that is to move out, be it with that agency you found to help her or another way. Agencies like that tend to cut the cord when people are 19-21 (over here in the united kingdom) i don't know how long college lasts for over there but when she does get shelter it needs to be stable as she has college and the job she's got too.

I hope i helped you think it over, its a big step for anyone to be kicked out of their house because there are so many thoughts running through their head that they can't think straight, and she should be grateful to have a friend like you.

If you need to talk PM me,

Benji

Closed Thread