TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tearxstained Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Aly

He's worried - November 8th 2009, 08:35 PM

I dont go out alot because I am pretty shy and probably pretty boring to be around. And also because we dont have very much money, and everybody I know wants to go out and actually do things, but doing things costs money and so I can never go out. But today my dad came downstairs and told me I need to start 'getting out more' and 'talking to people' and such because he is worried about me because I never go out.
I dont want to tell him that I can't because nobody wants to sit around in a house or at a park or something because he tries really hard to give me everything he can, but I dont know what else I can do. And are there any cheap/free solutions to this?

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That's why we call it the present.
<3 <3 <3
Gotta Love Kung Fu Panda !

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: He's worried - November 8th 2009, 09:19 PM

I don't know what area you're in, but there are fun and cheap/free things to do! You could hang out at the mall or go to a fun place and screw around and do stupid things... you could rent movies or borrow movies from friends and watch them at someones house complete with junk food and snacks. (look up local places to rent movies, they're often cheaper than blockbuster)
Thats all I can come up with for now... :/

Personaly, I love just sitting around with my friends doing nothing but screw off. None of us have extra money lying around, so we improvise. Maybe it's just the area I live in though. XP

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tearxstained Offline
Not a n00b

Re: He's worried - November 9th 2009, 12:13 AM

I live in a pretty 'rich' area so most of my friends have money and we used to go to our friends house and watch movies and just hang out but they're all bored of that now. The other day I called him and asked if we could have a movie night and he was ll for it, but about half an hour before I went over he called to say that everybody else wanted to go to Paranormal Activity, and when I said he couldn't all he said was
"Sorry it worked out this way! I miss you! Bye"
I guess I can just wait a while so they wont be so unenthused next time I ask to do something cheaper than going to the movies.

Thanks so much for your answer, all of those ideas do indeed sound fun! =]

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
<3 <3 <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: He's worried - November 9th 2009, 01:07 AM

Something I forgot to add! Some concert venues have free seating, or grass tickets for $5. it's not outdoor concert season anymore, but maybe next summer you could search around for a concert venue that does that? The verizon wireless one by me does...

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: He's worried - November 9th 2009, 02:55 PM

Hi Aly,

I completely understand where you are coming from with this. My dad is exactly the same way- he just doesn't seem to understand that a lot of people don't like to hang outside or do things that don't cost money. This can be really irritating because not everyone has cash to spend all the time.

Some things you could do instead:
-Invite your friends over to cook or bake something with you. Ingredients are not usually very pricey depending on what you decide to make. I suggest cookies or cupcakes, because making them is a lot of fun and eating them after is fun too.
-Movie nights. I understand that you've done a lot of these, but maybe try something new. Get everyone to bring a copy of their favourite movie or a 'mystery' movie (they don't tell people what it is) and then play a game to decide which you will watch.
-Culture events. These can be music related, book related, festivals, etc. See if there is anything advertised in the newspaper or online about what is happening in your area.
-Join a youth group. Generally community centers or churches hold these for teenagers once a week. They are free, and they do a lot of fun things. Bring some friends with you.
-Volunteer. This will help you get out of the house as well as meet some new people. Try to volunteer with what you are interested in (music, kids, reading, etc.) because if you like what you are doing it will be a lot more fun.

I hope you are able to use some of these suggestions. The most important thing is that you don't let money get you down. There are other ways to have fun

Take care.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tearxstained Offline
Not a n00b

Re: He's worried - November 11th 2009, 11:32 PM

Thank you both so much for your ideas, I will definately use them and they even sparked a few of my own! =D
I just got a month pass FREE for rockclimbing, and a lot of them really like rockclimbing so I can have an entire month of doing that with them which is super.
Again, thanks!

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
<3 <3 <3

Closed Thread