TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chrissy2008 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Christina

Don't know what to do... - November 26th 2009, 12:35 AM

Where to begin? Well, I suppose we can start from the beginning. My grandparents take prescription drugs. After a few years my grandfather got hooked on them. He's hurting and has reason to take them, it's just he takes them excessively. At any rate, he had a great paying job that provided for our family. It took care of my grandmother, her brother, me, my husband and our daughter. Well, he took too many pills at his job and is now fired (or "unhirable until he sees a doctor"). This has put my grandmother in an extremely bad mood, which I can understand. The issues are that she's screaming at me and the rest of the family due to her being stressed. I've ignored it the best I can, but I just can't take it anymore. I tried to sit her down and explain that I understand why she's upset. I've tried ignoring her. I've even tried changing the subject to something more pleasant. Nothing is working. What's making it worse is the fact that she's screaming and cursing with my 1 mo. old around. She's usually like this during the holidays anyways, but this is much much worse. I'm so stress out and I'm not sure what to do. I'm trying to provide a healthy enviroment for my daughter, but without my grandfather working we're practically stuck here. I'm a recovering cutter and needless to say this is pushing me closer to relapsing. The only thing keeping me from losing it is my daughter and my husband. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? That or support would be nice.

*Also, I kinda have to stay around them. Aside from the money issues, me and my husband and daughter just got into a serious wreck on the 5th. We are currently without a vehicle and I use my grandmothers car for transportation.*

Remember there is always a tomorrow and always something to be thankful for.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Chrissy2008  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Don't know what to do... - November 26th 2009, 09:00 PM

Don't give up trying to talk to your grandmother. If you keep trying and trying she has to listen to you sooner or later. Maybe offer to help find your grandfather another job. If he needs to go to a doctor because he is suffering from all this, encourage your grandmother to take him to the doctor. Don't give up on your family. Find someone to talk to them for you like a therapist or trained professional if they aren't listening to you. This may be too much for you to handle and it's not your job to fix everything. I can see how this is affecting you though. Hang in there and don't give up. Things will get better.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

Closed Thread