TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FeistyMidget Offline
~Formerly HappyLooksGoodOnYou~
Junior TeenHelper

They give me no privacy. - December 31st 2009, 05:14 AM

I can't keep a diary, because they'll read it. I can't keep money in my room, because they'll steal it. I can't keep ANYTHING private from my brothers because I share a room with them, and it really annoys me! They've read my diary countless times whenever I've tried to start one. Hiding it doesn't work. They'll just search though my stuff until they find it. And I have to give any and all money I get to my mom, because they'll take it. It's extremely unfair, because, whenever I complain to my parents about it, they yell at me because I end up yelling at them because I get so frustrated! They never listen to me when I try to tell them why I'm so angry with my brothers. :/ What can I do to keep them from going through my stuff? I really want to be able to keep things in MY room without them getting into it. Just because it's their room too doesn't mean they can go through my stuff. I'm tired of it!
  Send a message via AIM to FeistyMidget Send a message via MSN to FeistyMidget Send a message via Yahoo to FeistyMidget Send a message via Skype™ to FeistyMidget 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: They give me no privacy. - December 31st 2009, 05:20 AM

how old are your brothers? it sounds to me like they're either a lot younger than you or they're being very immature.. anyhow, if they're of an age where you can have a decent conversation with them then speak to them and tell them how much this is upsetting you. they shouldn't be stealing your money or going through all your stuff. i'm sure you give respect to their belongings so they should do the same. if speaking to them doesn't work then bring it up again with your parents, but this time without yelling at them. maybe if they have a clearer understanding of exactly how annoying this is for you then they'll take your side. and as for your diary, keep one online if you can't keep one without them finding it.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: They give me no privacy. - December 31st 2009, 05:29 AM

Do you have a Password protected computer? That will be perfect for a diary!

I agree with Elle. Talk to your brothers if you can or talk to your parents calmly.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: ~Sebrine~

Re: They give me no privacy. - December 31st 2009, 09:03 AM

i don't think they'll understand if you just tell them. they seem persistant in their ways!!
what if you damaged some of their stuff so they know what it feels like when they steal yours, or take things without privacy.
my elder brother didnt think that my dairy was too private and went through it, he didnt ask for my stuff and took it. until one day i started doing the same, and lost his fav. basket ball, and ruined his computer etc. he got off my back.
although this method could just cause more problems, it can help.
only you know your family well enough to decide what to do.

why don't you buy yourself a small safe? keep it in your room and store everything you want, i doubt they'll be able to get in that!!

also maybe you can try talking to your parents again, calmly bcos it's a parents thing to automatically stop listening if they see ur frustrated. although i swear u have all the right in the world to be!!! talk to them about giving you ur own room.. ?? if it's possible.

good luck.

hope it gets better!

The Darker the NIGHT,
The brighter the dawn.
The longer the darkness lingers,
The more beautiful the light will come.

Closed Thread