TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cor Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Lying about my age to a friend.. help, please? - April 30th 2010, 03:20 PM

This question's about the importance (or unimportance) of age in friendships.
Two years ago, when I was 13, and I met this (at the time) apparently 17 year-old on the internet. Actually, I emailed him about this game he was selling on Amazon, and we started talking online. We've since developed quite a friendship, but I told him (for my own protection, of course) that I was a 24 year old teacher (to fit in with my own timetable, you see). He showed me his house on the webcam, and I glimpsed his face. I *know* that he's, at the most, 19, so I feel like I can, and should, tell him the truth. I have two issues: firstly, if I tell him, I'm not sure we'll be friends anymore. Secondly, I don't want him to treat me with less maturity just because of my lower age. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm extremely mature for my age. But that's another thread. And yeah, I know how dangerous internet exclusive friendships are, but he's the only person I can speak to in my mother-tongue that actually gets me, y'know?
Anyway, what should I do? Tell him the truth or... keep the secret until *insert age here*?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Lying about my age to a friend.. help, please? - April 30th 2010, 04:01 PM

Ihonestly would just tell him but explain your reasons why you did what you did

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: Lying about my age to a friend.. help, please? - April 30th 2010, 04:17 PM

I agree with LittleMissComplicated on this one. I would tell him the truth. I think if you tell him why you did it, it will make you seem more mature for your age. In a way it is kinda like fessing up to something you did wrong. Doing that makes you seem more mature. So i would tell him. Lying and saying you are 24 is a big jump and he might be a little upset at first. Dont wine, dont yell, and be nice. Thing about his side and how he would feel ebfore you tell him, but i would tell him as son as possible. If you need some idea's on how to tell him PM me!

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cor Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Thumbs up Re: Lying about my age to a friend.. help, please? - April 30th 2010, 06:14 PM

Thanks for your quick replies! I'm speaking to him now, but I can't sum up the courage to tell him. You couldn't give me any pointers as to how I would *break it*? Thanks again, guys.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Online
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Lying about my age to a friend.. help, please? - April 30th 2010, 10:28 PM

There's no point in waiting until *insert age* to tell him the truth. Being a few years closer to 24 won't make it any easier, or better. Also, the longer you keep this a secret from him, the more embarrassing it's going to be when you finally work up the courage to tell him the truth.

There's no "right" way to break this sort of thing to someone. You just need to say it, without too much suspension or fluff leading up to it (ex. "Have you ever lied to someone?" or "What would you do if...?"). When you both have time to sit down and chat for an hour or so, tell him that you have something to confess, and that you hope he can forgive you. Tell him what you told us: that you did it because you wanted to protect yourself while chatting with an online stranger, but that you now realize it was misleading and wrong to do so.

One of my online friends lied about his gender. I'll admit that our friendship isn't *quite* the same as it used to be... but I managed to forgive him rather quickly, because I understood his reasons for doing so (even if I disagreed with them). Hopefully, the outcome will be favorable for you as well. =) Good luck!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

May 1st 2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissComplicated View Post
Ihonestly would just tell him but explain your reasons why you did what you did
this is what you should do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cor View Post
Thanks for your quick replies! I'm speaking to him now, but I can't sum up the courage to tell him. You couldn't give me any pointers as to how I would *break it*? Thanks again, guys.
just do it. sum up the courage and tell him. Start out slow :

hey, i have to tell you something......

and then tell him.

I came here to help out, so if you wanna talk or just need someone to bounce ideas or issues off of or something else then send me a message and I will reply as soon as I can.

Last edited by PSY; May 2nd 2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

Closed Thread