TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nino Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Homeless,Familyless (if thats a word) STRESSED - May 16th 2010, 01:47 PM

I'm an 18 year old male with no job soon to graduate high school. Over the past few years my father and I have entered some physical disputes and I've had to endure the unfair treatment my step mom has put me through and sat back and watched her spoil her son. (my step brother) My maiden mother left when I was two years old and has only recently made an appearance in my life. She isn't in the best shape of her life mentally or financially. My family is also from Detroit and I don't feel exactly safe with living with my mom and her new fiance. I'm struggling to get the money to pay for my high school senior dues and application process for the college I wish to attend. I only need around $700.00, but Michigan's economy is trash and I can't seem to find the aid I need. I have no car either or place to live. Currently I am staying at a friend's house for the night since my father moved down south premature to my high school graduation so that he could find himself and my step mother a home. He's also kicked me out since I'm 18 and is selling the home we used to live in. I plan on staying with my mom for about a week, but have to get up on my own two feet and get out of her fiancé's place ASAP and so does she for her safety. My dad is planning on selling the house in 24 days and coming back up here to help my step mom pack the house and move back down south. My step brother is staying with his girlfriend until he starts college, so I'll literally be homeless for the whole summer until I head to Florida to start my college education which I wont be starting if I cant afford the application process and save up $2000 for the first month of living expenses. What should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Homeless,Familyless (if thats a word) STRESSED - May 17th 2010, 07:40 PM

Hello, Nino. Welcome to TeenHelp! =)

That sounds like a very difficult situation. All I can really suggest is that you try EVERY option available to you. Ask your high school's guidance counselors and future college's financial advisers for resources. It might not be too late for you to apply with FAFSA. You may also be able to take out student loans with a bank.

If you don't have a job, then I would suggest visiting any community employment centers that are within walking/driving distance. I know that the Goodwill branch in my area offers help for writing resumes, filling out job applications, and even finding temporary work.

Finally, as bad as this last option may seem, you might want to consider settling for community college for the first year or two (while you get your general education requirements out of the way), then transfer to the college in Florida. If you've already been accepted, then you should be able to apply for a leave of absence. The university will grant them under certain circumstances... financial hardships may be one of them.

Alright, that's enough about colleges/finances. Now I'll move on to your family.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like your dad is interested in helping you out at the moment, either emotionally or financially. Your mom sounds more promising, but she's not in a position to really help you out, either. Hopefully, once she gets her life under control, the two of you will be able to support one another... but for now, I would turn to extended family members. Do you have ANY aunts, uncles, cousins, or grandparents that you could turn to for emotional and/or financial support? They don't have to be in Michigan. Perhaps, if things don't work out with the college in Florida, you could live with another family member, go to a community college in that state, and get a part-time job so that you can pay rent (or save up for college, if your family member is generous and doesn't ask for rent).

I wish you the very best of luck. Take care. <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Homeless,Familyless (if thats a word) STRESSED - May 17th 2010, 07:55 PM

is there not an aunt or uncle or a family memeber you can stay with over the summer ? or an aunt or uncle who may be able to help you get the money ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread