TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LovelyMissOlive Offline
Not a n00b

Parents and a New love intrest - May 18th 2010, 03:57 PM

So long story short

Theres a guy who was jut a friend for about a year... But at the begginnng of this year He asked me on a date. My mother Freaked out!And everytime since that we've been out together she makes a big deal out of it. Both my parents have met him before. My dad has a positive opinion of him... but my mom doesnt.... I dont know what to do. Im tired of her freakin out everytime i have a date.

Thanks for any imput
Oli

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Parents and a New love intrest - May 18th 2010, 05:08 PM

Hey there, Oli! I remember what it was like, when I first started dating my boyfriend. Or rather, when we first starting going on dates, but weren't "official" yet. Everyone made a big deal out of that, too! I think it's just something that a lot of people do... they love the drama, the romance, the possibilities. xD Keep doing whatever it is you want to do, and sooner or later, the novelty and excitement will wear off.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LovelyMissOlive Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Parents and a New love intrest - May 18th 2010, 05:15 PM

haha its not excitement xD Its more like Loathing on her part... lol a better way to explain it: She acts like i shouldnot like or want to date guys and that they shouldnt want the same.

Last edited by LovelyMissOlive; May 18th 2010 at 05:35 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
natcat Offline
Average Joe

Name: Natalie

Re: Parents and a New love intrest - May 18th 2010, 11:29 PM

Hey, that's tough :P

Have you ever had a boyfriend before? It sounds like your Mom is just not ready to let you go and do your own thing. Just remember, although they may not always make sense, parents do just have your best interests at heart. However, they may not approach the situation as best as they can. As long as you're happy and the relationship isn't toxic, I see no reason why you can't continue it without your mothers approval. Just ask that she respect him when you bring him around, she doesn't have to like him, that's not a requirement (it's just a bonus).

It's better to cross the line &
suffer the consequences
than to just stare at the line
for the rest of your life.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: Parents and a New love intrest - May 21st 2010, 02:36 AM

Why not try and talk to her. Can you do that ? The best way would be just to go to the source and ask instead of guessing. If you can try talking to her.

I came here to help out, so if you wanna talk or just need someone to bounce ideas or issues off of or something else then send me a message and I will reply as soon as I can.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Parents and a New love intrest - May 21st 2010, 03:50 AM

Yeah, sit her down and talk to her about it. Tell her that you respect her opinion of him, but that she needs to respect your decision to be with him and at least be nice when he is around. Maybe you could even try to find out what bothers her so much and try to resolve it.

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

~Cody

Normal User

(#7 (permalink)) Old
musicslife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kavitha

Re: Parents and a New love intrest - May 21st 2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natcat View Post
Hey, that's tough :P

Have you ever had a boyfriend before? It sounds like your Mom is just not ready to let you go and do your own thing. Just remember, although they may not always make sense, parents do just have your best interests at heart. However, they may not approach the situation as best as they can. As long as you're happy and the relationship isn't toxic, I see no reason why you can't continue it without your mothers approval. Just ask that she respect him when you bring him around, she doesn't have to like him, that's not a requirement (it's just a bonus).
I totally agree with natalie. I mean, parents are like that. They are always protective. It's their job. As long as you are happy and he's happy, I don't you need to end the relationship. But if you are getting worried about your mom freaking out then why don't talk with her. Find a time when she's in her mood. Get her some coffee to cool her even more. And then talk to her. Ask her why she's not happy you dating him. And explain to her that he's a good guy.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Parents and a New love intrest - May 21st 2010, 06:43 AM

Your mom sounds like my mom
My first boyfriend was a family friend and even though we had known each other since birth and both families got along well my mom would still make a big deal when I went on dates with him in the beginning but eventually she got over it and let it go. Just give her time so she gets used to the idea of you having a boyfriend.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

Closed Thread