TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

do you ever not like your family? - July 4th 2010, 10:27 AM

ok so every sunday before and after church my family is here i hate them when they do this, they have no manners to be a guest at 9:00am my uncle pounds on the door then walks right in the house and lets himself in slams the door and yells good morning good morning to diliberately wake everyone up, i dont go to church so im usually sleeping then when i come downstairs he hangs him feet over the top of the couch and takes his socks of and he has athletes foot its disgusting, he knows it bothers me when he rudely makes his pressance known, or constantly calls and calls calls the house he lets the phone ring till someone picks it up at home here even if he has to call 50 times, and trust me he did...my house is small, theres nowhere really to go to have space to myself except up stairs but its like staring at four walls...what do i do? do you ever not like seeing your family? i dont like people much anymore i always wanna be alone unless its meeting someone new.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: do you ever not like your family? - July 4th 2010, 10:30 AM

I actively try to avoid my extended family, not because I don't like them but because I have nothing to say and I'm socially awkward. Hence lock myself in the bedroom and use the internet.

I don't think there is much you can do about the Sunday ritual although you could raise a hygiene point about your uncle's feet. On the bright side you don't have to go to church and it is still only one day in seven.

If he calls all the time you can unhook the phone

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: do you ever not like your family? - July 6th 2010, 04:38 AM

I should not complain about people in a nonconstructive way, but you asked, so I may as well answer. Everyone in my immediate family is extremely mentally unhealthy, and I do not like that. I am about to move out, and I am sure I will then be in a healthier environment. My extended family is decent, although my immediate family would disagree. Unfortunately, nobody in my extended family lives anywhere near me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Can-I-Love-You Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: do you ever not like your family? - July 6th 2010, 07:32 AM

Hey there,

I think everyone feels this way at one point or anougher. If you need space go outside. Bring a book. I know this is hard but u must be strong. You need to know that everyone feels this way. Im glad you wrote this thingy. Cuz that is a GREAT outlet. You are doing the right things

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: do you ever not like your family? - July 6th 2010, 07:46 AM

Yes sometimes family can get annoying, whenever we have get togethers’ here at my house I try to get alone with everyone and nice but when they go over the board and get drunk and start telling stupid jokes about me I turn on the sprinklers by "accident"
Maybe you can tell your parents to tell your uncle not to put his feet on the couch and on Saturday night you can disconnect the phone.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Online
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: do you ever not like your family? - July 7th 2010, 06:57 PM

I've definitely felt this way about my family members... who doesn't?! =P

The next time your uncle calls, pick up the phone and take a message. Tell him that someone will call him back. If he doesn't wait and calls you back repeatedly, unplug the phone(s). With the athlete's foot... there isn't much you can do, other than looking up stuff on the internet and telling everyone how unhygienic it is for your uncle to let his feet touch the couch. Don't just tell your uncle... tell your parents as well.

As for the rest of his behavior, there isn't much you can do. Sometimes, pretending that things DON'T bother you is enough to make a person stop (if he's only doing it because he knows it bothers you). Unfortunately, he may just be an crude, immature individual, and will continue his annoying behavior regardless of what you do.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: do you ever not like your family? - July 7th 2010, 07:14 PM

Yes. My dad especially. I can never forgive him for what he did.
I also strongly dislike my 15 year old sister. She's selfish, rude, doesn't care about anyone else and that really gets to me.
But they're the main ones anyway.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: do you ever not like your family? - July 7th 2010, 08:28 PM

Oh most definitely.
I used to despise family parties with my dad's family because all my cousins are loud and like to shout and sing and party whereas I'd rather sit in the corner with a book.
My aunts and uncles used to make us perform for them when they got drunk. When I was around 13 they made us dress up as the Von Crapp children *spelling intended* and sing that So Long, Farewell song. It was the first time I ever sang anything alone in front of anyone, even if it was just one line, and some drunk woman from a million miles away I didn't even know tried to sing it with me, off tune and with the words wrong.
I hated it.
Solution? I told my mum I didn't care what she said, I wasn't going back. She said she agreed with me and she wasn't going back either.
But they hate us now so we don't even get an invite anymore.

ANYWAYS. I think talking to your parents about this is a good idea. Maybe you could go back to childhood and make your own little fort in your room where you can sit and just chill, do whatever you want, while your family are there.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: do you ever not like your family? - July 7th 2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
As for the rest of his behavior, there isn't much you can do. Sometimes, pretending that things DON'T bother you is enough to make a person stop (if he's only doing it because he knows it bothers you). Unfortunately, he may just be an crude, immature individual, and will continue his annoying behavior regardless of what you do.

that is EXACTLY how he is and what he does, and when he realizes it doesnt bother you he's like come on im your uncle i have to bug its my job and goes on and on and tries to annoy you that way and if you ignore him and dont answer he keeps asking and asking then when you go uhuh sure he just goes you know i love you right? i love you and your sister like daughters, which now makes me sick when he says that cuz of something my other uncle does but then if you tell him to smarten up and its not funny what he does he does the exact same thing actually physchically give him a smack real hard before he backs off

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
aaaaaaaa Offline
Not a n00b

Name: aaaaaaaa

Re: do you ever not like your family? - July 8th 2010, 03:47 AM

I don't think your uncle is doing those things to piss you off
it seems as if he feels really comfortable and close to you guys

talk to him about disturbing you
maybe talk about how you need your sleep, that you think its messed up that you have to wake up early and go to church
but in a nice and calm way
I don't want to say you aren't required to go to church or wake up early -- but make it aware that you have boundaries and you'd prefer he respect those

you said they are visiting. so all of this is temporary.
some people are unlucky and permanently live with people like that

with his behavior at your house - just grit your teeth and try to ignore it
you cant tell him how to act - but tell him your main concerns
if it would make you feel better, stay away from him. go over to friends' houses or something

I hope things work out for you.
and remember, don't lose your temper with him - that has the strong possibility of making the tension worse

Closed Thread