TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Angry my dad thinks its a joke! - July 22nd 2010, 11:31 PM

well my dad got a new computer since my mom left in june he didnt even know how to use it then now he's going on it more and more...and he always bitched about me and my mom being on the computer all the time we faught because of the computer she would ignore me and be on it all night long then sleep all day then when she woke up back on and we'd argue over it...well since she left i only go on the computer a third as much now its like competeing with my dad for the fricken computer since he started trying to use myspace as a dating site he says i only need it for a few minutes then 3 hours later i ask him if he's almost done then he says yeah and signs off two hours later after i bug him for the computer for long enough as soon as i leave the chair sometimes he goes on the computer even if im still using it i feel like i have to gaurd the chair...he was late for his appointment once do to his computer binge and one morning i woke up turned the comp on singed into msn i got up to go to the bathroom i wasnt even out of the 6-4 foot room before he was on the computer i said i was using it then he said i only need it for a few minutes i didnt get it back till an hour later.

its really upsetting me because he's turning into my mom...and I feel like i always have to be at the comp now cause i'll never get it back if i leave it its like a competition i confront him about it in every way he takes it like a joke and denies it and says im still worse today he said i was on the computer for "TWO HOURS" yesterday his record is from 4am to 9am FIVE HOURS! it makes me angry that he just takes it like a just he is in complete denial i dont know how to make him listen to me! im still not the greatest for how much i use the comp but i still stop at my own will and watch tv or go for a walk now and again like wow im pissed off its like talking to a wall!

what do i do?

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: my dad thinks its a joke! - July 23rd 2010, 01:03 AM

Wow, that must be extremely frustrating.
Have you tried talking to your dad about how much this is annoying you? Have you told him that you don't feel it's fair he is hogging the computer like this?
If he will not listen then maybe save up some money and get your own laptop, and hide it so he can't ever use it. That way you both would have your own computers.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: my dad thinks its a joke! - July 23rd 2010, 07:42 PM

i have told him it bothers me, he just makes a total joke out of it like i just cracked a stand up comedy act...it pisses me off...its not that he's hogging the computer that bothers me, its the fact he turning into my mom, being on the computer like 24/7 almost he's not there yet but sometimes he almost comes close and me and my mom faught ALL the time because i would ask her something and she's completely ignore me because she was too busy doing something on the computer...then i'd ask her again or try to get her attention and she start yelling at me or swear at me...then when we argued for the computer it was a competion of "you've been on it all day today give me the fucking computer"
and "you stay on the computer all night i go to bed your on there, i wake up your on it and your even on it when i get some from school"

im afraid thats whats going to start happening with my dad and im already an angry kid this just makes me more angry to see whats starting to become

It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: my dad thinks its a joke! - July 24th 2010, 01:18 AM

Like I said, save up money with a part-time job and get your own laptop, then hide it get a lock for it so he can't access it. That's really the only thing left you can do.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: my dad thinks its a joke! - July 24th 2010, 05:19 AM

Instead of showing aggression towards him, why not be kind and simply ask if he needs help or what he's doing but say you don't need the computer, you're just wondering how he is coping. If he's using myspace for a dating site, and with this sudden increase in computer usage, he's chatting to someone through it, perhaps your mother. If he hops on it so fast, there's someone he's wanting to chat with that he has a liking for. I'm not saying he doesn't like you but rather that whoever it is he's talking to is making him feel better. It allows him to better relate to them than to you because he's hopefully talking to other adults who may he experienced similar conditions, and are making it nice for him.

If it's this bad, depending where you live, go to a near-by library for any school work that needs the computer, or to also chat through. If you feel up to it, save money for a laptop which you could have password protected so he cant use unless he hacks it. However, he'd have his own so there would be no need to do so.

Perhaps try chatting to him through a library computer. It may piss him off but don't be aggressive to him if you do, be friendly and such.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: my dad thinks its a joke! - July 24th 2010, 05:31 AM

thats my problem though i know EXACTLY what he's doing and why he's doing it hell he's been asking ME for advice he shows me the messages and asks me for help the first couple times i confronted him nicely but he didn't take me seriously...he doesnt talk to my mom he bitches about my mom and unloads his emotional baggage on me and talks me like im oprah. and he does talk to other adults to cope that live near us or in person. that's not the problem my problem is, is that he is getting hooked on the internet and doesn't see it. internet addiction caused alot of problems with my family when it was my mom now its my dad. i need help on something i can do to show him what i mean...clearly words don't work.

and i don't need another computer. the fact its computer isn't the point it's the effects that are the point sorry if i sound bitchy but no one seems to understand what it is im asking.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: my dad thinks its a joke! - July 24th 2010, 11:26 AM

Sounds like he needs an intervention! Put him on the TV show!! haha jk

Yeah, get a part time job, buy a nice cheap netbook or something for 300 or even better a laptop for around 600, then lock that shit up

My mom and dad recently found out how to use the computer, and both are addicted like crazy. Luckly I have a laptop

Closed Thread