TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
caraluvsfirbies Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy confused...guilty...ughh!!!!!! - February 17th 2009, 03:54 AM

When I was seven my dad moved out. The year before my parents had gotten divorced and my dad was living in the basement apartment, so yeah, that's how that goes. I'm still kinda scarred from it to be totally honest, but whatever. I live with my mom, and I love her to death. But....I really want to move in with my dad. it's been eight years, and I'd really like to move in with him. I always have.
But, I'd feel so guilty leaving my mom. She's brought it up before, and I lied, telling her that no, I didn't want to move in with my dad. She hasn't brought it up for about two years now....but I still feel so guilty about wanting to move in with my dad, guilty enough for me to not be able to stop crying about it....I need someone to talk to about this, so I can make a decision to stay where I'm at or to go to my dads. My friends will want me to stay here, my dad will want me to go there, and I really can't talk to anyone except for the pastor at my church and I really don't want to wait that long to make this decision.
Can someone help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheKnight Offline
TheKnight
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Re: confused...guilty...ughh!!!!!! - February 17th 2009, 03:59 AM

How often do you see your dad?

I swear never to be silent whenever wherever human beings are enduring suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must at that moment become the center of the universe.

-Elie Wiesel

Jewish Resources:
AskMoses
JLaw
JewFaq
Aish
CHaBaD
AskNoah
CounterMissionary Lecture Series
Anti-Missionary Handbook
The Real Messiah
Kabbalah
  Send a message via AIM to TheKnight Send a message via Yahoo to TheKnight  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
caraluvsfirbies Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: confused...guilty...ughh!!!!!! - February 17th 2009, 04:00 AM

Every other weekend and sometimes on holidays but not often

(#4 (permalink)) Old
almostinvisible Offline
Dreaming
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Erica

Re: confused...guilty...ughh!!!!!! - February 17th 2009, 04:00 AM

Hey,
This is mainly up to you. I think you should really discuss this with your mom first of all, and sort out of the pros and cons of leaving or staying. You don't have to feel guilty about this. It's probably been really hard being away from him and it's natural you miss him and want to see him. If you think that's the best decision then you could try it. Just make sure you talk about this before deciding to make any major changes right away.

You're everything I know that makes me believe
I'm not alone
You're in everyone I see
So tell me
Do you see me?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
caraluvsfirbies Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: confused...guilty...ughh!!!!!! - February 17th 2009, 04:04 AM

See, the thing with discussing it with her is, as soon as the conversation comes up then she starts crying. And I can't stand making my mother cry...or anyone else for that matter, but especially my mother. And she doesn't listen, she just sits there and makes me feel guilty for even thinking something like that...ughhhh.

I don't know how to go about this conversation with anyone without making her get really ticked off at me, and want to cry. My stepdad would only make it worse, then my little sister would make it even worse than that to top it off. My brother probably wouldn't help me at all either, and he lives with my dad. I want to do this, but I don't want to be chastised for it by my mom and stepdad.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
almostinvisible Offline
Dreaming
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Erica

Re: confused...guilty...ughh!!!!!! - February 17th 2009, 04:09 AM

That is difficult. Do you think it would help if you just talked to her in private and went through the reasons you want to move there so you don't have the rest of your family involved right away? It might help her understand a little. I don't think there's any way to actually avoid making her upset but just make sure she understands that it's not her fault.

You're everything I know that makes me believe
I'm not alone
You're in everyone I see
So tell me
Do you see me?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: confused...guilty...ughh!!!!!! - February 17th 2009, 10:41 PM

Hi there,
Welcome to TeenHelp!

This does sound like a pretty tricky situation.
I was wondering if it would help if you saw your dad more often? That could be a compromise for your mom. It's hard for her to hear that you want to live with someone else, and it's understandable because she is your mom and she cares about you. Maybe you could start by seeing your dad more often and then move in with him later.

Remember that this is not only your decision, but also your dad's. Has he agreed to take you in and care for you? I think you should have a talk with him about this first and then if he agrees, then talk to your mom about it.

Another compromise would be to stay with your dad for a long period of time- maybe for the summer. That way your mom can slowly get used to the idea of you moving out.

I hope this works out for you. If you want to talk sometime, let me know.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
caraluvsfirbies Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: confused...guilty...ughh!!!!!! - February 18th 2009, 01:46 AM

Well, since they've been divorced for eight years now, I've wanted to move in with my dad for eight years, and my dad knows it, and he's always telling me I'm welcome to move in.
When my brother decided to move out, my mom barely gave him time to pack, the minute he decided she kicked him out. They still talk and all that, but it took a while for her to forgive him.
My mom is kind of a drama queen, and she'll act as if I'm dying rather than moving.

But I'll talk to my dad first,
I did write down the pros and cons of moving, and I've basically decided to. But I don't know how to go about telling my mom.

Closed Thread